U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM

566 posts, read 1,735,129 times

Advertisements

FC has been called Choice City due to the quality of life here. But I've another tag to hang on FC - Pothole City. Seriously, the city has let the streets go to ruin. We're not just talking about a few bad spots here and there - all the major streets are a disaster.

Try driving on College south of Horsetooth. Better hang on to your steering wheel. It will be yanked out of your hands because the ruts in the road are so deep. Like the pictures you see of wagon trails across Wyoming. I've stopped driving my good cars on errands because the roads have deteriorated so much. I only use the Suburban nowadays.

Of course the city leaders will say that there's no money to fix roads. Times are tough. That excuse might work except for one thing. The roads here were in disrepair when times were good. When unemployment was under 4% and tax receipts to the city were increasing every year the roads were in terrible shape then.

The real reason for the bad roads is that the city council hates cars. They are a bunch of greenies who want to separate us from our earth-destroying automobiles. So they won't fix the roads. Want proof? The city leaders removed $2 million from the road maintenance budget this year. Shameful considering the condition of the roads. Then they turned around and gave an additional $2 million to the arts. We need roads more than we need more murals.

Time to start holding these rascals accountable. Find out where they stand on fixing the streets and vote out the bums who make excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM

6,523 posts, read 10,194,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
FC has been called Choice City due to the quality of life here. But I've another tag to hang on FC - Pothole City. Seriously, the city has let the streets go to ruin. We're not just talking about a few bad spots here and there - all the major streets are a disaster.

Try driving on College south of Horsetooth. Better hang on to your steering wheel. It will be yanked out of your hands because the ruts in the road are so deep. Like the pictures you see of wagon trails across Wyoming. I've stopped driving my good cars on errands because the roads have deteriorated so much. I only use the Suburban nowadays.

Of course the city leaders will say that there's no money to fix roads. Times are tough. That excuse might work except for one thing. The roads here were in disrepair when times were good. When unemployment was under 4% and tax receipts to the city were increasing every year the roads were in terrible shape then.

The real reason for the bad roads is that the city council hates cars. They are a bunch of greenies who want to separate us from our earth-destroying automobiles. So they won't fix the roads. Want proof? The city leaders removed $2 million from the road maintenance budget this year. Shameful considering the condition of the roads. Then they turned around and gave an additional $2 million to the arts. We need roads more than we need more murals.

Time to start holding these rascals accountable. Find out where they stand on fixing the streets and vote out the bums who make excuses.
Yeah and I suppose that bridge collapse in Minneapolis was because of them-thar car-hating greenies, too, right? Actually let's place blame where it's due...tax-averse Republicans who'd rather let the roads go to crap so they can promise you a great deal - instead of raising your gas tax, they'll sell (sorry...lease, for 50-100 years at a time) the high-speed freeways and controlled-access roads to a foreign conglomerate who'll give them a big up-front check to fix and build roads. In return said foreign conglomerate can then turn around and charge you tolls to drive on roads your tax money has already paid for - all with little-to-no governmental control over toll rates!

That's the Republican-Libertarian way. After all, if you can afford it, you can go 70! Everyone else can just take the side-streets. Machiavelli would be SO proud.

The federal gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993. Increases in fuel mileage have drastically slashed the purchasing power of the gas tax and have prevented revenue growth from keeping pace with explosive construction costs. You want better roads? Pony up.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-27-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM

What does the federal gas tax have to do with the Fort Collins city council diverting road maintenance dollars to the arts. By the way take a look at the tax you pay now on a gallon of gas. You want it to be higher?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
What does the federal gas tax have to do with the Fort Collins city council diverting road maintenance dollars to the arts. By the way take a look at the tax you pay now on a gallon of gas. You want it to be higher?
Yes, actually I do. It hasn't been adjusted for inflation or increases in fuel mileage in 16 years. Would you rather pay 15-20 cents per mile?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM

About 40% of the federal gas tax is not being spent on roads. The money is being used for mass transit, bike lanes, museums, pork projects, etc. Lets first get that money spent to fix bridges then lets talk about tax increases.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
About 40% of the federal gas tax is not being spent on roads. The money is being used for mass transit, bike lanes, museums, pork projects, etc. Lets first get that money spent to fix bridges then lets talk about tax increases.
I agree but even after the money is reallocated we will need a tax increase. It's either that or build privately-owned toll roads (which is a terrible alternative). IMNSHO our infrastructure should not be for lease to the highest bidder.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM

22 posts, read 55,925 times
Pot Hole City..Pretty funny stuff. What is there one pot hole where you park your Hummer..LOL

You should trying taking a trip to the northeast where taxes are 300% higher and roads are a real mess. You dont know how good you have it. Always something to complain about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or