U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM

11 posts, read 39,502 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and I are looking into moving to Loveland/Fort Collins area from Buffalo, NY. My Fiance is a Dentist and I am in the financial feild. We are both in the process of looking for jobs in Colorado. Any advice on how the jobs markets are in the area?
We like Buffalo, but there is just not enough to do outdoors (not enough Open space) and the weather in Colorado seems to be much better. Is that correct?. We do alot of hiking and wildlife photography. We have been looking at various parts of Northern CO, (Louisville, Loveland, Fort Collins). We plan on renting first and then buying. We have a 75 pound American Bulldog mix, so i think that rules out Louisville with the breed restriction law. Are there any apartment complexes that allow bigger dogs. Peakview by horseshoe lake in loveland seems to allow my breed, but they get bad ratings on the apartment rating sites. Has anyone had any an experience with these apartments?

Also where would we get the most for our money? I checked out a few cost of living calculators and loveland seems to be cheaper of the 3. Are there other areas that we should consider that offer alot of the outdoor activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,929,458 times
I'll let someone else speak to the doggie and apartment issue. But Loveland has GREAT outdoor activities. There is a hiking club (lovelandmountain. something IIRC) that does 3-4 hikes per WEEK. Snowshoes or traction devices in the winter, boots in summer. There is also a large photography club. I have a friend that is a member in both.

I live on the west side of Loveland and can be on a hike/bike/horse trail in 5-10 minutes, Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park in less than an hour.

We've been here two years and we absolutely love it.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks golfgod. We took a vacation to Colorado a couple years ago and loved it. We were in Estes Park and down in Colorado Springs. We did alot of hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park and did some White Water rafting outside of Colorado Springs. Both places were Amazing.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,514,698 times
I left Buffalo (Cheektowaga) 40 years ago. I have been in the Denver area for 31 years. The weather is better. Denver is much more an progressive and growing city. Loveland, Ft. Collins, Louisville are listed as the best places to live by many publications. I would would say that Loveland is a good place and a little cheaper than Ft. Collins. I would not say all areas of Louisville are expensive and can offer many more job opportunities because of the nearness of Denver. However, any choice would be great. Renting would give you an opportunity to learn what is best for you. I would also not rule out Longmont which can give you good value in a nice town; it would give you access to both of Ft. Collins and Denver. I would also consider Lafayette as it borders Louisville and offer similar amenities.

You will find that there is more open space, parks, and trails than Western New York but you must accept differences to be happy. It takes time to get use to the semi-dry climate and to see the beauty in less treed mountains and the sparse plains which both have much less water resources than New York. You have to remember that the less water/rain is what makes the climate milder than the Buffalo area. Also, your life will be much more enriched if you embrace the great Hispanic culture in Colorado, and understand that ethnic and race relations are much better than the Buffalo area; that is to me is one of the biggest advantages of living in the West.

Livecontent

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,706,820 times
Last fall I sold the home across the street from my home to a couple from central NY. In speaking to them regularly over the winter, they said the weather is so much better here than back home. Also, their property taxes and utility costs are lower.

I do not know how the market for dentists is currently, but I had a dentist friend move away from Fort Collins about 6 years ago because he felt there were too many dentists in town.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Thank's for the info livecontent. Does it take long to get adjusted to the climate there? We are taking a trip at the end of May to check out the area. I think we just need to experience something new. We both have live in Buffalo all our lives. I am 30 years old and my Fiance is 27 with no kids.

Mike,
Property taxes in NY are crazy, My sister just bought a $64,000 800 sq ft house in a suburb of Buffalo and her taxes are $2,100. How far of a ride with traffic is it from Loveland to Boulder? We have a Dentist friend that just bought a house in Lyons and they have an office in Boulder.
We have found a few places that are looking for a dentist, but no nearly as many as places like Florida or North Carolina. It seems like alot of the Jobs are in and around Denver.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,514,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomike View Post
Thank's for the info livecontent. Does it take long to get adjusted to the climate there? We are taking a trip at the end of May to check out the area. I think we just need to experience something new. We both have live in Buffalo all our lives. I am 30 years old and my Fiance is 27 with no kids.

Mike,
Property taxes in NY are crazy, My sister just bought a $64,000 800 sq ft house in a suburb of Buffalo and her taxes are $2,100. How far of a ride with traffic is it from Loveland to Boulder? We have a Dentist friend that just bought a house in Lyons and they have an office in Boulder.
We have found a few places that are looking for a dentist, but no nearly as many as places like Florida or North Carolina. It seems like alot of the Jobs are in and around Denver.
There is some adapting to the dry air. Your skin will need more moisture; your sinuses will dry out. The altitude cause some minor problems for a short time, on the plains; longer higher in the mountains.

The biggest adaptation will be mentally because you will be use to large bodies of water, many trees, overcast skies and rain. The land will appear sparse. Water bodies are mostly reservoirs. Most trees you see planted on the plains are there by the work of man. Keep in mind that the area is semi-arid and many open space preserves will be what was before development--mostly brown short grass, scrub growth with few trees. The mountains are not as lush with undergrowth as eastern mountains.There are very few small idyllic pastoral towns that you see in Western New York. If you keep comparing this area to the lush, treed, green fertile lands of New York--you will be unhappy. You must accept the land; then the land and the westerners will accept you.

Driving from Loveland to Boulder would not be a great idea because it is not a straight drive down the highway because you got to get off I-25 and go to I-36 or going down 287 through Longmont would be a long commute. You will experience congestion and traffic. Buffalo, as I understand, has very little congestion because the population has declined and the highways where built for much more people. I can remember the Youngman Highway being built, around Buffalo to relieve the congestion (that was before your time).

If you are going to work in Boulder then live there or outside in Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont, Broomfield, Arvada, Westminster.

This is not Western New York where parks and open space are few and far away. I think you are getting the idea that you must live right up against the mountains to have access to open space. That is not correct. The cities on the Great Plains also have extensive open space, trails and parks. These are convenient and you will find open space and parks in most housing areas. After a hard day of work, you can enjoy these areas quickly and then you can easily get to the mountain amenities when you have more time.

One important point that people seem to overlook is that most people in Colorado live, work and recreate on the Great Plains. Denver is on the Plains and all the most important cities with the most important commerce and agriculture. The mountains are beautiful but most people do not ski and some never go to the mountains, after an initial visit.

The mountains are vital because it is a catch basin for the most important commodity in the west--WATER. The mountains also protect the front range from harsh weather. But it does get cold; we do get big snow storms; there can be problems with wind and there is heat in the summer.

Most of advertising of this state seems to be centered on Mountain recreation but that is not the whole story or even the biggest part of the story of Colorado. It is a story of mining, agriculture, ranching and the taming of the plains with man made reservoirs and canals that brought the necessary water for the area to be developed and settled. The advertising for Colorado does not emphasis the importance and the significance of the semi-arid grasslands of the Great Plains. It is the West of reality, not the West of the imagination, story books, movies or the publicist. There are few "Indians" and most cowboys drive trucks and wear caps; there are much more Native Americans in Western New York.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-25-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 AM

726 posts, read 1,865,728 times
Hi, we left Buffalo last year and relocated to Denver metro (Broomfield). Honestly other than missing family/friends I don't know of one thing I miss or regret about the move. Some observations:
  1. the weather is so much better. really, truly I can't emphasize it enough. You'll be amazed at all the sunshine and warmer temps.
  2. just about everything is cheaper- utilities, taxes, gasoline, etc. We paid $4000 a year in taxes for a house outside Buffalo we sold for $112000. Here we bought a much bigger and newer house for $180000 and pay $1500 in taxes. The gas and electric are billed together (at least in this area of CO) our highest bill was $110.
  3. I like Fort Collins but if you don't have jobs yet you should leave open the possibility of living nearer to Denver/Boulder. We moved out here for my job (in Broomfield) and settled in Lafayette temporarily until my boyfriend got a job. It gave him the option of looking in Denver or Boulder.
I think you'll be surprised at how much extra cash you will have. All the little things add up. We moved out here for the quality of life not to save money but it really has been all around better for us. Our biggest regret is not doing it sooner.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Also is there alot of wildlife near Loveland, Fort collins and Boulder. We love to be surrounded by animals.(We do get out alot and photograph wildlife) I know it is not like Estes park where the Elk and Coyotes just walk around town. I do see on the news that an occasional mountain lion will stroll into town. Here is Buffalo its big news if there is Coyote sighting or if we are lucky we will get a black bear looking looking for a new home in the on the outskirts of the Suburb.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks Choosing78
Thats good news for us coming from someone that lived in Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area