Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 02:46 PM

33 posts, read 81,964 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move - we are basically fed up with the stress and horrible cost of living associated with NYC and it's suburbs. We are early 30s, want to have kids soon, and want to be a part of a real community - not a transient area.

That being said, we do like nice restaurants, things to do, etc.

I am in sales management in the tech sector and my wife owns a pet services company... We are generally conservatively leaning politically, very active, into sports, enjoy the company of other young couples, etc.

Curious to see if there are any other NYC to Fort Collins area transplants out there who have made the transition. Would it be extreme culture shock? What is the weather like?

I have been to Denver many times but never actually to Fort Collins, although so many good things are published online...

What kind of price would we be looking at for a nice 4 br, 3-bath new construction home on a cul-desac in a nice neighborhood?

Answers to any of these questions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
I have spent little time in NYC, so can not contrast the two well.

We have 4 distinct seasons here. The winters have a few cold days, but it doesn't feel as cold as many places with higher humidity. Typical winters see quite a few sunny days, which also help it seem warmer. Spring and fall are beautiful, though spring tends to be windy and there is some extreme weather in the form of hail and lightning storms. There are a handful of hot days in the 90's each summer, but the lack of humidity makes them seem less smothering. Growing up here, we never had air conditioning, but most do these days. We rarely ran ours last summer, though. Even though summer days are hot, it still cools off in the evenings, and a light jacket is needed on some summer evenings.

We can put you into a nice 3 bed, 3 bath new construction home starting at $191k (MLS# 626414) and going up from there. Not all of them are on cul-de-sacs, though, so you might have to spend a few dollars more to get the cul-de-sac. You can search local real estate listings at our local MLS consumer site: Coloproperty

I have recently sold homes to people from other parts of New York and they have told me their taxes and utilities are considerably less expensive here. That may also be true when comparing us to the City.

There is also a nice variety of eating establishments here. I have heard that we have more restaurants per capita than most towns in the US. There is some diversity in dining, but probably not what you are used to in the City.

Last edited by Mike Weber; 05-18-2010 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Restaurant info

Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
I have spent little time in NYC, so can not contrast the two well.

We have 4 distinct seasons here. The winters have a few cold days, but it doesn't feel as cold as many places with higher humidity. Typical winters see quite a few sunny days, which also help it seem warmer. Spring and fall are beautiful, though spring tends to be windy and there is some extreme weather in the form of hail and lightning storms. There are a handful of hot days in the 90's each summer, but the lack of humidity makes them seem less smothering. Growing up here, we never had air conditioning, but most do these days. We rarely ran ours last summer, though. Even though summer days are hot, it still cools off in the evenings, and a light jacket is needed on some summer evenings.

We can put you into a nice 3 bed, 3 bath new construction home starting at $191k (MLS# 626414) and going up from there. Not all of them are on cul-de-sacs, though, so you might have to spend a few dollars more to get the cul-de-sac. You can search local real estate listings at our local MLS consumer site: Coloproperty

I have recently sold homes to people from other parts of New York and they have told me their taxes and utilities are considerably less expensive here. That may also be true when comparing us to the City.

There is also a nice variety of eating establishments here. I have heard that we have more restaurants per capita than most towns in the US. There is some diversity in dining, but probably not what you are used to in the City.
Thanks so much for the detailed response! I got your message and will respond as well - much appreciated!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
Another thought on the transition: Depending on where you end up in town, you may need a car or two. The town is very bicycle friendly and we have a decent bus system, but not everything is walkable. (If you search homes in the MLS link I posted above, they will usually have a "walk-score".) The growth of the town is primarily from the inside out, and therefore the new construction homes about which you inquired are often on the fringes of town where there may not be bus service or easily reached shopping and services.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
Another thought on the transition: Depending on where you end up in town, you may need a car or two. The town is very bicycle friendly and we have a decent bus system, but not everything is walkable. (If you search homes in the MLS link I posted above, they will usually have a "walk-score".) The growth of the town is primarily from the inside out, and therefore the new construction homes about which you inquired are often on the fringes of town where there may not be bus service or easily reached shopping and services.
Thanks for that advice - we have two cars now so that shouldn't be a problem, although biking would definitely be a lot more fun and better for the health than tooling around in the old Civic!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 PM

16 posts, read 28,164 times
Look (deeply) before you leap!

We moved here 3 years ago. Great, great schools. Horrible, horrible, horrible food. No way are there 300 days of sunshine, but the sun is very intense when is does come out. Feed lots in Greely produce a stench. They don't put that in the brochure! For some, this is the best place on earth; for others, like myself, I am counting the days until our daughter graduates so we can leave!

I have lived several different places in my life and nothing compares to what I've encountered here. Noting even comes close. In a word, it's just strange. But it's not a bad place, just very different. A lot of unhappy libs up here with no sense of humor! It just feels very isolated--and backwards--up here to me. My 2 cents.

Last edited by flowsong29; 05-22-2010 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russreign View Post
My wife and I are considering a move - we are basically fed up with the stress and horrible cost of living associated with NYC and it's suburbs. We are early 30s, want to have kids soon, and want to be a part of a real community - not a transient area.
You'll find Fort Collins to be very, very laid back. I'm sure you find Denver to be that way as well during your visits. Well, Fort Collins is even more so.

Fort Collins is a college town, so it kind of is a transient area, at least near the university. Further south in town, away from the university, there are more families.

Quote:
That being said, we do like nice restaurants, things to do, etc.
I think you might get bored in Fort Collins. Also, most New Yorkers think of the food the way flowsong29 does. You'll likely laugh at the Thai and Chinese restaurants. I like them, but I've never lived in NY.

When you think of Fort Collins, think along the lines of State College, PA if you've ever been there. That's the kind of town Fort Collins is. In fact, they're pretty much sister cities in my mind.

Quote:
I am in sales management in the tech sector and my wife owns a pet services company... We are generally conservatively leaning politically, very active, into sports, enjoy the company of other young couples, etc.
Most of Colorado is pretty conservative. University types are probably liberals, but most non-university types are conservative in Northern Colorado.

Quote:
Curious to see if there are any other NYC to Fort Collins area transplants out there who have made the transition. Would it be extreme culture shock? What is the weather like?

I have been to Denver many times but never actually to Fort Collins, although so many good things are published online...

What kind of price would we be looking at for a nice 4 br, 3-bath new construction home on a cul-desac in a nice neighborhood?

Answers to any of these questions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
I'm not a former New York resident, but I think it's safe to bet that it will be a culture shock for you. I kind of like flowsong29's advice to look before you leap. Visit Fort Collins and see how you like it before deciding to move. To be honest with you, I think Denver is probably enough of a culture shock for you. Even there, you probably won't like the food and will find it slow. But I think you could find more groups for sports and outing clubs and the like than what you'd find in Fort Collins. Also, your wife would certainly have more clients in the Denver area (population 2,000,000) than in Fort Collins (population 100,000). In Fort Collins, many of the folks have horses and their cats and dogs are outdoor animals. I suspect NYC is not like that.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You'll find Fort Collins to be very, very laid back. I'm sure you find Denver to be that way as well during your visits. Well, Fort Collins is even more so.

Fort Collins is a college town, so it kind of is a transient area, at least near the university. Further south in town, away from the university, there are more families.

I think you might get bored in Fort Collins. Also, most New Yorkers think of the food the way flowsong29 does. You'll likely laugh at the Thai and Chinese restaurants. I like them, but I've never lived in NY.

When you think of Fort Collins, think along the lines of State College, PA if you've ever been there. That's the kind of town Fort Collins is. In fact, they're pretty much sister cities in my mind.

Most of Colorado is pretty conservative. University types are probably liberals, but most non-university types are conservative in Northern Colorado.

I'm not a former New York resident, but I think it's safe to bet that it will be a culture shock for you. I kind of like flowsong29's advice to look before you leap. Visit Fort Collins and see how you like it before deciding to move. To be honest with you, I think Denver is probably enough of a culture shock for you. Even there, you probably won't like the food and will find it slow. But I think you could find more groups for sports and outing clubs and the like than what you'd find in Fort Collins. Also, your wife would certainly have more clients in the Denver area (population 2,000,000) than in Fort Collins (population 100,000). In Fort Collins, many of the folks have horses and their cats and dogs are outdoor animals. I suspect NYC is not like that.
Thanks for the detailed response - I very much appreciate it. I guess it would definitely make sense to check FC out for myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area