U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,278 times

Advertisements

HI My ex partner (never married just long term relationship) own a house(investment property) in south florida together I am British and she is German. The mortgage is in my name and the deed is in both our names. She lives back in germany and I still live in the USA now she wants me to buy her out but when we bought before the crash we put a deposit down of 25% and now she is living in a fairytale world and wants what she put in two years ago where that capital is not even there anymore. What rights do I have, can I sell it with out her ? Can I just foreclose on it and put it down to a very expensive lesson or try and buy her out at an adjusted ratio? She left the States and left me with the entire burden of the house ie the excess for the mortgage every month and repairs and what not(before we split the costs 50/50) Any help would be great....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,671,019 times
Are you saying that the house went down in value by more than 75%?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM

62 posts, read 102,262 times
dude... i feel for you, but you need an attorney, not a forum board. best of luck to you! - mike t.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM

11,621 posts, read 19,808,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlawrie View Post
HI My ex partner (never married just long term relationship) own a house(investment property) in south florida together I am British and she is German. The mortgage is in my name and the deed is in both our names. She lives back in germany and I still live in the USA now she wants me to buy her out but when we bought before the crash we put a deposit down of 25% and now she is living in a fairytale world and wants what she put in two years ago where that capital is not even there anymore. What rights do I have, can I sell it with out her ? Can I just foreclose on it and put it down to a very expensive lesson or try and buy her out at an adjusted ratio? She left the States and left me with the entire burden of the house ie the excess for the mortgage every month and repairs and what not(before we split the costs 50/50) Any help would be great....
You need an attorney. If you would like the name of a good real estate lawyer in Fort Lauderdale DM me.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,358,789 times
Smile Both on title

Since you are both on title, you cannot sell it without her. However, she could certainly quit claim it to you.

I'm not an attorney giving advice - I've seen this type of thing before - I'm a mortgage broker.

You most likely would be considered a foreign national unless you have a permanent resident card. Foreign national loans are sometimes done at 70% loan to value while loans done as a permanent resident can have higher loan to values.

I can also refer you to an excellent attorney.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:09 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,504,571 times
I really don't want to sound mean....BUT....how did you EVER get into this in the 1st place? You aren't married, you are not divorced and the deed is in BOTH your names but YOU are FULLY responsible for the mortgage???????? I WISH you had an attorney when you purchased the place. I would hire an attorney ASAP. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area