Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,034 times

Advertisements

Hi i recently moved here to florida from buffalo ny.At the moment im livng with my parents until i give birth and start working to move out.I've search just out of curoisity at the prices for rent here and it's extremely expensive compared to rent in buffalo that is 350 to 500.Are there any Cna's out there that live in fort lauderdale and are able to affod a apt possibly a car here? Im really worried that i won't be able to make it down here and would hate to have to move back to buffalo.Where are the cheap apartments in fort lauderdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM

49 posts, read 132,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyma2187 View Post
Hi i recently moved here to florida from buffalo ny.At the moment im livng with my parents until i give birth and start working to move out.I've search just out of curoisity at the prices for rent here and it's extremely expensive compared to rent in buffalo that is 350 to 500.Are there any Cna's out there that live in fort lauderdale and are able to affod a apt possibly a car here? Im really worried that i won't be able to make it down here and would hate to have to move back to buffalo.Where are the cheap apartments in fort lauderdale?
I would say try the low income apartments, but the waiting lists are so long. There are some great apts. with awesome security. Maybe you can start signing up on them now. But the waiting lists are usually very long.

Other options is getting a roommate who is also a single mom. Getting a second job. Or you can stay with your parents, go back to school and become a nurse that way you will be making a larger income to afford your own place.

Yes, the apts. are expensive. I'm moving with my retired mom, my autistic sister and my two autistic children. My sister and my children get SSI. My mom has her retirement. There are more resources for them there. Plus, I'll be transferring univerisities. Not sure which one I'm going to go to once I'm there. I would hate to drive all the way down to the FIU campus. I'm a Social Work major. My reason for going back to school is to be able to earn a larger income where I can afford a live in nanny, because taking care of two autistic children is not easy, not easy at all...

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM

26 posts, read 77,478 times
I am from Buffalo and I sure hope cna's make more there than here. I would stay at home for a while, go back to school for nursing degree and focus on your child. As you know, Buffalo does not have much to offer aside from cheap rent. Every new parent struggles in the beginning. Look for others in a similar situation and surround yourself with positive, supportive people. Go the University or College and ask for student housing off campus. Sometimes you can find cheap places to rent or room with someone else. Good luck and don't panic. Things will work out. Check out craigslist for housing also. In the mean time concentrate on improving your finances through school or perhaps even a part time job. Buffalo will always be here but your new opportunity may not. So go after it will all you have. Your child is counting on you.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,054,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyk21 View Post
I am from Buffalo and I sure hope cna's make more there than here. I would stay at home for a while, go back to school for nursing degree and focus on your child. As you know, Buffalo does not have much to offer aside from cheap rent. Every new parent struggles in the beginning. Look for others in a similar situation and surround yourself with positive, supportive people. Go the University or College and ask for student housing off campus. Sometimes you can find cheap places to rent or room with someone else. Good luck and don't panic. Things will work out. Check out craigslist for housing also. In the mean time concentrate on improving your finances through school or perhaps even a part time job. Buffalo will always be here but your new opportunity may not. So go after it will all you have. Your child is counting on you.
They don't. Wages are higher in Buffalo, low in Florida and rents are much less in Buffalo, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area