U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2010, 09:18 PM
 
49 posts, read 78,726 times
Reputation: 31
Default Why do people get so uptight about someone speaking another language other than english?

I don't understand how people can get so uptight about people speaking in another language other than english amongst each other around them, especially spanish. I don't give a damn, because they are not speaking to me. Mostly I hear white people making these complaints. Do you have to control everything about everybody? Everything is not about you! THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU, EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK IT DOES!!!

Moderator cut: please report posts you find racist


So, why do you have a problem with people near you speaking another language other english, when they are not even speaking to you? Are you that nosey as have to know what everyone is saying?

And I don't care if anyone thinks this thread is racist, because there are plenty of threads and comments on here that are racist against minorities.

Last edited by fauve; 07-18-2010 at 10:12 PM..

 
Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM
 
49 posts, read 78,726 times
Reputation: 31
Moderator cut: refers to deleted portion of post

Anyway back on topic. America is changing. More Internationals are choosing to live here. Yes, it is best for everyone to learn english and other languages.

Last edited by fauve; 07-18-2010 at 10:16 PM..
 
Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 AM
 
125 posts, read 149,494 times
Reputation: 127
I always wondered that myself....its like "GET OVER IT ALREADY!!"
 
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,869,484 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoGirl View Post
I don't understand how people can get so uptight about people speaking in another language other than english amongst each other around them, especially spanish. I don't give a damn, because they are not speaking to me. Mostly I hear white people making these complaints. Do you have to control everything about everybody? Everything is not about you! THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU, EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK IT DOES!!!

Moderator cut: please report posts you find racist


So, why do you have a problem with people near you speaking another language other english, when they are not even speaking to you? Are you that nosey as have to know what everyone is saying?

And I don't care if anyone thinks this thread is racist, because there are plenty of threads and comments on here that are racist against minorities.
I do not speak a second language ( wish I did ) .. only understand a little Spanish and as long as people are not yelling .. it does not bother me one bit when people speak in another language amoungst them selves .. be it Spanish , Portuguese or Hebrew ..this is a free country last I checked . It can be a little annoying when a service person assumes you speak Spanish and will initiate a conversation in Spanish ... this used to happen from time to time when we lived in Weston ... but they usually would apologize and then revert to English .. I saw this in Broward every once in a while .. but again it was no big deal . The attitudes from Hispanics are different in Broward than in Dade ... there seems to be more willingness to assimilate from the South Americans in Broward ... higher level of education maybe ?
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 AM
 
3,034 posts, read 4,113,070 times
Reputation: 1187
It bothers white people because there is a sense that Spanish-speaking people are "taking over" everything. Also, there is a perception that when people speak Spanish here, it is an act of rudeness because it disrespects American culture and shows they do not wish to become Americanized, but rather wish to shove their own culture down everyone's throat.

I see it from both sides of the coin, since I am a younger white guy. I do not have a problem with people speaking Spanish around me. But I do agree that Spanish-speakers should speak English as their first language and try to assimilate more into American culture. Because right now there is a huge rift between Spanish-speakers and the rest of society. Some of it is anti-Hispanic sentiment amongst whites and blacks, but Spanish speakers aren't doing themselves any favors by rejecting English and other American culture.

I think these issues will improve over time, as the younger generations of Hispanics pretty much all speak English and are more assimilated into American society. I think this is mainly an issue with middle-aged and older people.
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,869,484 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
It bothers white people because there is a sense that Spanish-speaking people are "taking over" everything. Also, there is a perception that when people speak Spanish here, it is an act of rudeness because it disrespects American culture and shows they do not wish to become Americanized, but rather wish to shove their own culture down everyone's throat.

I see it from both sides of the coin, since I am a younger white guy. I do not have a problem with people speaking Spanish around me. But I do agree that Spanish-speakers should speak English as their first language and try to assimilate more into American culture. Because right now there is a huge rift between Spanish-speakers and the rest of society. Some of it is anti-Hispanic sentiment amongst whites and blacks, but Spanish speakers aren't doing themselves any favors by rejecting English and other American culture.

I think these issues will improve over time, as the younger generations of Hispanics pretty much all speak English and are more assimilated into American society. I think this is mainly an issue with middle-aged and older people.
I agree with you .... but it takes time to assimilate .. I have been around large American Ex-pat communities in Costa Rica and Guadalajara , Mexico and after living many years in these countries these "White Americans" who tend to be older did not speak a lick of Spanish either .. I travel to Panama from time to time on business and there are nearly twenty thousand retired Americans living in the old canal zone and around Panama City and the lions share do not speak Spanish and stay within their communities ... we accuse Hispanics and other ethnic groups of doing this , yet but we Americans often do the same when we live or travel to other countries . I agree that the younger generations of Hispanics for instance ... tend to speak English most of the time and that will continue to happen as they assimilate more and more ... my daughters had Hispanic friends in Weston and now Parkland who barely spoke Spanish much to the chagrin of their parents
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 AM
 
3,047 posts, read 4,675,489 times
Reputation: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree with you .... but it takes time to assimilate .. I have been around large American Ex-pat communities in Costa Rica and Guadalajara , Mexico and after living many years in these countries these "White Americans" who tend to be older did not speak a lick of Spanish either .. I travel to Panama from time to time on business and there are nearly twenty thousand retired Americans living in the old canal zone and around Panama City and the lions share do not speak Spanish and stay within their communities ... we accuse Hispanics and other ethnic groups of doing this , yet but we Americans often do the same when we live or travel to other countries . I agree that the younger generations of Hispanics for instance ... tend to speak English most of the time and that will continue to happen as they assimilate more and more ... my daughters had Hispanic friends in Weston and now Parkland who barely spoke Spanish much to the chagrin of their parents
This is SO TRUE! And, I intend on being one of them someday and I suspect my Spanish will never improve beyond passable at best. Languages aren't my thing. And, I don't say that callously; I've tried, but my brain has a tough time with them and as I've gotten older, it has only become worse.
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,674 posts, read 10,051,640 times
Reputation: 3169
This problem is a centuries old. What do I mean? Back during the Plains Indians War, there were children who were caught and placed into Private (perhaps Public) schools. They were forbidden to wear their Tribal clothing and were taught English and were not allowed to speak their Native tongue.
Some years ago, when an Illigal Immigration thing was going on, some Mexican descent teens that lived in a border town in So Calif carried signs that read "Proud to be illigal" which intimated people just like speaking a foreign language can. Some American unemployed people don't like seeing "must also speak Spanish" in job ads.
Hearing different nationalities speak their native tongue doesn't bother me nearly as much as it use to......gotten older and little more tolerant than I use to be.
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 PM
 
157 posts, read 366,195 times
Reputation: 53
Here's what I think...
The people that get annoyed with people speaking other languages for the most part are uneducated and narrow minded so they are just trying to protect themselves from the "invadors".
What most of them forget is that even what we today we call white Americans were once the "invadors" since the only real Americans are the indians. I speak 4 languages and simply love the fact that in Florida we have such diversity of culture but I don't find a lot of people that see things the way I do. One needs to travel and experience other cultures to open his/her mind, most people never leave the U.S.
As for hispanics or any other ethnic group taking over...really? Shouldn't we be concerned with people being unemployed and hungry instead? And no, people are not unemployed because of immigrants taking their jobs, the World economy sucks right now and the U.S is feeling badly because we are by far the most spoiled people in the Universe! In other Countries people are so used to dealing with recessions that they are much better survivors than we are, they don't live on credit, they buy what they can afford to buy and live where they can afford to live, period.
In general, the American people need to take a HUMBLE pill and realize that we are no longer the strongest Nation in the World and if we don't put our head down soon and accept that our **** stinks just like everybody else's ....then yes, the ones that know how to take advantage of opportunities and are thankful for them will take over.
 
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
 
240 posts, read 193,364 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoGirl View Post
So, on some level you do agree that white people treat minorities like crap and you're somehow afraid if we do take over we will treat you like crap, also? That's the only way I can explain why you are so afraid of us taking over. That truly says something, don't you think?
I think you get what you give, if you give crap your going to get crap. Just because someone has preferences different from your own you immedialtly label it racist. To the one who says this country isn't the most powerful in the world isn't very enlightened, just because we don't send out the missiles every time someone insults us doesn't mean we're weak. As one who speaks and understands spanich, but doesn't look spanich...yea they are making jokes about you and trying to be the funniest one of the group. In a public place thats their bussiness but in an office its rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top