Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Words are easy and it is easy to noble in the abstract. Supposed someone killed your parents or children for no more reason then the color of their skin? As recently as the last election my wife was referred to as a ni$$er lover because she was working for Obama when her picture was in the news with him. This was by the members of the church she was attending here in Fort Lauderdale. You may try to insulate yourself from what this country is really like or pretend it doesn't exist, but being a black person in America is no bargain.
There are racist people out there, but there are many levels of racism and prejudice. As a hispanic I have been called the S word by some white nonhispanics but that doesn't mean I'm gonna lose sleep over the opinion of someone who probably has an IQ lower than 80.

Many people just like to be tough, funny or offensive but to me what really matters are acts that affect people directly like being denied a job or promotion because the color of their skin. I have seen both sides of the coin, blacks not being hired or promoted but also blacks who were excellent employees at first not working hard enough because they didn't want to "act white" and be judge by the other black employees. It is up to each person to succeed with the opportunities life has to offer. Some have many, some will face a lot of limitations. There might be racism in this country, but there is a lot of poverty in other countries and American blacks have it very easy compared to many people in the world who have to work since children or live with less than dollar a day. Blacks can go to community colleges, get scholarships or loans here in the USA and yes it will take longer for them to get hired, but that's what affirmative action and diversity quotas at workplaces are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 PM

59 posts, read 160,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
wow... it sounds like I touched a nerve.

I don't have bad intentions. But I guess you can't see that.

The flames on this thread pretty much just confirmed some of my op.

No rational discussion, just more finger pointing and arguing. I guess it's just too hard for some people to discuss.

I think it is horrible. I hoped something positive would come from this.

That maybe people could discuss issues with the anonymity and security of the net.

I still hope some how to recieve some possitive responses.

But I expect it will just unravel further into a pushing and shoving match ...Sad really
Rational discussion? You are only guilty of too high of expectations. Don't let it bother you. If race relations were anywhere near as bad as described on internet forum boards, there would be rioting in the streets.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
wow... it sounds like I touched a nerve.

I don't have bad intentions. But I guess you can't see that.

The flames on this thread pretty much just confirmed some of my op.

No rational discussion, just more finger pointing and arguing. I guess it's just too hard for some people to discuss.

I think it is horrible. I hoped something positive would come from this.

That maybe people could discuss issues with the anonymity and security of the net.

I still hope some how to recieve some possitive responses.

But I expect it will just unravel further into a pushing and shoving match ...Sad really
what exactly are "possitive" responses? Like people agreeing 100% with your original post which was full of generalizations? When you make blanket statements about a whole ethnicity, you should really not be expecting a rational discussion.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM

159 posts, read 558,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
what exactly are "possitive" responses? Like people agreeing 100% with your original post which was full of generalizations? When you make blanket statements about a whole ethnicity, you should really not be expecting a rational discussion.
I guess you didn't read the first line of the thread

LET ME STRESS I AM SPEAKING IN TERMS OF INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE AND NOT ANY ONE GROUP AS A WHOLE

Anyways... there are some perfect examples of the phenomena I mentioned in my op right here on this thread.

It is amazing how some of you have blown things out of proportion. But it does not suprise me. I guess it's human nature to look at everyone elses faults. People seem to get really upset when someone says something about them that they know is true.

I don't wan't to argue with anyone about whose right or wrong. But I guess I really opened up a can of worms.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE OFFENDED BY ANYTHING I HAVE SAID I APPOLOGIZE. THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO IS ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE.

Please know my intentions are good.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:51 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
All I can say is that I really hear ya. It is tough to be white in SFL sometimes. We are looked down upon or called racist. Most jobs have requirements to be bilingual (in other words, for those who speak Spanish and barely any English), so we are excluded from those. Try to speak out and you're branded a racist or somehow against diversity and want to turn Miami into Jacksonville. Either way, we can't seem to win, even though most of us just want to get along and don't care about "race" and aren't rednecks or hillbillies.
Really??? And how much sympathy do you want for this post? Try getting rid of the color lines and think on terms of mankind. It's tough just existing these days. And btw, there are factors like education that will propel you forward no matter what your color is.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM

What I hoped for when I used the term "rational" was an open conversation where people could talk about diversity related issues. It is obviously a very sensitive topic and maybe one I am somewhat obsessed with. I just wish that people could express their differences and we could learn from each other.

I am taking everything everyone has said (positive or negative)and trying to learn from it. I am trying to make myself a better person.

I think the racial divide we have is disheartening. It truly bothers me, so it is something I try to improve in my life. I am only one man and I can only change my world and my surroundings.

I'll keep trying

Old 07-30-2010, 04:14 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,020 times
Here we go again. Every so many months someone starts a thread with a similar subject matter. And, no matter what, it has the same end result. Even the most well thought out thread to the most insensitive - same result -- you just don't even want to discuss color, race, heritage on this forum without significant backlash.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I cannot accurately comment on the black / white issue ... but it seems like many blacks from the US , not the Caribbean so much dislike whites and Hispanics !!

I see a lot of African Americans playing the race card and they need to get over it ... I acknowledge that thereare some whites that are racist , but most are not in my opinion ...anyhow in summary maybe the word despised should have been replaced with dislike or misunderstand ?
What does this mean? I'm Black, and I don't hate White people or 'play the race card' just for the heck of it. But because I am Black, I do have a heightened sensitivity to racist behavior. I'm not being 'touchy'...this comes from experience (unfortunately).

I get no joy out of identifying racism...make no doubts about that. In my humble opinion, rather you use the word despised/dislike/misunderstood whatever in regards to racist behavior, that does not justify it any more or less. Even if the person has the best intentions, the end result is a clear message of "I hold you in less regard as a human being".

A classic example is that as a single woman, people tend to suggest dates for me. 98% of the time, it is their random Black male friend. Ok...nothing wrong with that, right? Except for the fact that most of the time, I have nothing in common with these men! With some of them, the well-intended suggestion is almost like an insult; in that they are 50+ years old (I'm 31), or they have 6 kids and a prior criminal record or something like that. So here's my response; if I had the EXACT same 'qualifications' (gainfully employed, intelligent, college graduate, avid lover of the cultural arts) and if I was White, would you suggest these men to me? No. On top of that, wouldn't you try to talk to me and ask me about what I'm looking for in a man, what my priorities are, etc.? But no. Being Black should be the cornerstone of my existence and I should be paired as a partner to any eligible Black man out there and be happy about it. Really? Is that how single White women are made to feel?

So for me, it is not about crying racism every time I get the opportunity. It is about wanting to be seen for something more than the hue of my skin. Right now, this probably only happens with about 10% of the people I meet!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Here we go again. Every so many months someone starts a thread with a similar subject matter. And, no matter what, it has the same end result. Even the most well thought out thread to the most insensitive - same result -- you just don't even want to discuss color, race, heritage on this forum without significant backlash.
Do you know of a forum you can?

Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM

57 posts, read 165,323 times
this is pretty much a microcosm of every race relations discussion... ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area