Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:44 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

Advertisements

So is the insurance discount worth the price of changing out the whole house? How many years will it take to recoup the savings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 03:45 PM

164 posts, read 227,579 times
We love the impact windows, best decision we ever made. It made it very quiet inside, it dropped our electric bill substantially and provided peace of mind. They resist wind but also burglars. I was surprised how it kept noise out though, an unexpected blessing. We have a small 2 bedroom house, about 1,000 sq feet. 9 regular windows, the small bathroom and kitchen and then one patio sliding door. I believe it was about $12,000 give or take. A lot of money, yes, but well worth it.

Dart

Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
So is the insurance discount worth the price of changing out the whole house? How many years will it take to recoup the savings?
There is no one size fits all answer to this question. You may need a garage door, front door, etc. etc. etc.

It may not make much of a difference on your insurance, or it might make a huge difference.

I did one of my houses because it needed the windows and sliders done anyways. Insurance savings will take about 25 years to materialize at this rate. So not worth it for that alone. The new house it's definitely not worth the cost as it's a newer house with low insurance already - plus insane amounts of windows. The added security benefit is one of the biggest upsides in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM

389 posts, read 662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humeston View Post
We love the impact windows, best decision we ever made. It made it very quiet inside, it dropped our electric bill substantially and provided peace of mind
Just had them installed two weeks ago on the house (1,700 square feet) we bought in June. Cost around $15K but would have been about $5K less without the Florida room, which has huge windows. We already can tell it's quieter, and I'm expecting at least some savings on the electric bill with the leaky old crank/jalousie windows gone. Along with impact garage door we put in that replaced the wooden original from 1957 when the house was built, the home's look also has been modernized considerably.

Not sure how much of an insurance discount we'll get because the house already had shutters, but they were the old-style aluminum sheets that were quite heavy and had to be put up manually (probably a hot, sweaty, three-to-four-hour, labor-intensive task). So if the NHC forecast as of 45 minutes ago changes and Hurricane Matthew does target South Florida, we're ready.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 PM

240 posts, read 261,978 times
This is very helpful thread/subject for folks looking to invest/buy Impact Windows and Door and if you've had a great experience, please tell us what company you chose.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 AM

389 posts, read 662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
if you've had a great experience, please tell us what company you chose.
Be glad to if the moderators allow it ... JVR Windows of Fort Lauderdale. The installation was much smoother than I expected and was done within eight weeks of the order being placed as promised, and the windows look terrific.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM

The Mods should allow positive recommendations. I don't see a problem with that. If a company does a great job then they should be recommended!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:16 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
The Mods should allow positive recommendations. I don't see a problem with that. If a company does a great job then they should be recommended!
You haven't been around here long enough or understand the difficulties of moderating reviews. This forum gets a TON of spam from businesses and realtors... what is to stop someone from joining under an anonymous username and making a recommendation about their business? The forum would turn into a total nightmare.

Recommending a restaurant or whatever is one thing, but there is a fine line when it comes to forum spam.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You haven't been around here long enough or understand the difficulties of moderating reviews. This forum gets a TON of spam from businesses and realtors. What is to stop someone from joining under an anonymous username and making a recommendation about their business? The forum would turn into a total nightmare. Recommending a restaurant or whatever is one thing, but there is a fine line when it comes to forum spam.
Agreed.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:24 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Its not worth it if you have a house that was built post hurricane Andrew. I pay only $2K for insurance for my house that's 3200 sq feet. I asked them how much I would save if I upgraded to impact windows and the amount came to a pitiful $500/year. I have 14 windows (including 4 over sized huge windows, 2 french doors and 1 windowed bathroom door). I never got an exact quote but asked for a ball park estimate over the phone and multiple contractors said that it would cost $25K+ minimum. So its completely not worth it for me. Most of your insurance savings on a modern house will come from the roof. I cant remember the exact amount but I know that the amount I'm saving on my insurance premium is over $3K.

I completely agree with BNBR on the security aspect being worth it. So if you want to get it for that reason then it makes sense for a modern house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area