Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 19,156 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I recently completed my MA in English and have been teaching at the tertiary level for approximately 10 years. I am a Canadian citizen working in the Caribbean and am very eager to secure a position (preferably full-time) in the US but after talking to some HR people, I am finding that most institutions do not hire non-US residents/citizens even for online Adjunct work (is this true ??). My MA is from an American university so I do not think there is a problem with my qualifications or experience, but I would like to ask for advice on how I may be able to land a teaching position in the US (preferably in California or Florida) as soon as possible. I am getting discouraged because I have applied for numerous positions (well over 200) and yet, nothing has really developed. I have tried various websites (Chronicle for Higher Education, Career Builder, etc) but to no avail so any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated...Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM

168 posts, read 424,750 times
Don't worry, you aren't the only one. I have been trying to get a position in FL for two years. Just a bit of advice. Schools in the state of FL discriminate against out of state applicants. I can only imagine how they feel about out of country applicants. And your MA doesn't mean anything. I have a MS and have worked at multiple colleges and haven't gotten much besides some phone interviews. In fact, I have heard from some that the schools don't want people with Masters because they have to pay them more.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the input as I really need all the help I can get and am open to any reasonable suggestions that people have to offer. I guess my best strategy is to simply keep applying and hope for the best but I am very disheartened to learn about the situation in Florida and other parts of the US. I enjoy where I am but to be honest, I miss the "creature comforts" of North America so I will keep trying to find something...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,194 times
If you want to teach in a public school, you need to be certified by that state in order to teach there.. for FL, the site is Teach in Florida > Home

As far as the universities and community colleges go, I think it's best to narrow it down to individual schools and apply to them directly.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:43 AM

Thanks for your help !!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 54,342 times
It's really pretty simple. Your papers are not in order.
You need at least a green card, that's an immigration issue. It is illegal to employ an illegal alien.
Process can take years.
Once you get legal, then you must be qualified by the state of Florida if that's your goal.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:18 PM

Thanks for your information... I am far from an expert in this matter but I have been doing some research and it does appear that it is possible for some schools (perhaps not in Florida) to sponsor a TN Visa for teachers provide they can provide/submit the necessary documentation to the US government (specifically, that they were unable to find a comparable American candidate for the position). It appears that private institutions are a good place to begin as they appear to have more leverage when it comes to hiring foreign teachers.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM

12 posts, read 54,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebratt View Post
Thanks for your information... I am far from an expert in this matter but I have been doing some research and it does appear that it is possible for some schools (perhaps not in Florida) to sponsor a TN Visa for teachers provide they can provide/submit the necessary documentation to the US government (specifically, that they were unable to find a comparable American candidate for the position). It appears that private institutions are a good place to begin as they appear to have more leverage when it comes to hiring foreign teachers.
Yes that's been a stipulation forever, but in this economy, good luck with that, it rarely worked in the best of times. Maybe if you're a nuclear physicist like Von Braun developing a space program

Realistically, marry an American with the intent of love and to stay married or have a child born in the US before they change the amendment. Hot debate these days. It makes me think of that singer you guys have up there, Celia? or something like that, with all her money and fame she had a child born in Florida, don't think she fooled us with her intent. That surely opened a lot of doors for the kid.

Anyway, Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area