Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times

Advertisements

Hello all! So, I went to South Biscayne Blvd. this morning and it took me 40 minutes. I would like to know if this is a new trend or is it just a lucky day for me? If I had the sunpass - I might have made it in 30 minutes - but please tell me what you think. Are you seeing your commute to Miami as less conjested nowadays - is it only because schools is out? Please any input is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM

137 posts, read 423,060 times
Yes, school is out and so many families are away this last week on summer break. Try again in another week when the kids go back (at least here in Broward). I don't know if its the same schedule in Miami Dade. You also didn't say what time you left? rush hour? middle of the day?
Non rush hour, I can see doing this in 40 minutes even on a school day.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM

188 posts, read 585,452 times
Just asked my husband about his commute time. We live in Weston and he drives to Coconut Grove.
He has been driving this for 2 years and has found the best routes for him. During the summer it takes him 45 min. and when school is in, about 55 minutes. He leaves the house usually between 7:30 and 8:00AM. So I am thinking that your times would be right from Cooper City to Downtown.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
Just asked my husband about his commute time. We live in Weston and he drives to Coconut Grove.
He has been driving this for 2 years and has found the best routes for him. During the summer it takes him 45 min. and when school is in, about 55 minutes. He leaves the house usually between 7:30 and 8:00AM. So I am thinking that your times would be right from Cooper City to Downtown.
Thanks tank! I left at 7:50 and got there at 8:30 for a 9:00am meeting. I didn't find the drive very bad at all.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,424,093 times
Chelsa>

What route did you take?

1. It is the slowest time of year.
2. Unemployement is at an all-time high.
3. If you use I-95 Express Lanes traffic is almost a non-factor. If you use regular lanes I-95 in Miami is a pain between the hours of 7AM-9:30AM.
4. You probably hit a good day. Usually there are accidents that block lanes and back up traffic for a while.

Check back during the months of October thru March. You will find your commute is considerably longer.

Also, SW Broward is a very broad geographical area and depending on where in SW Broward you are commuting from, the routes differ and times are longer. In your situation Chelsa, you live in Cooper City east of I-75 so you are closer to the Turnpike. Someone living in West Pines would be twice as far from the Turnpike and would be better off taking I-75. That route takes longer as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Chelsa>

What route did you take?

1. It is the slowest time of year.
2. Unemployement is at an all-time high.
3. If you use I-95 Express Lanes traffic is almost a non-factor. If you use regular lanes I-95 in Miami is a pain between the hours of 7AM-9:30AM.
4. You probably hit a good day. Usually there are accidents that block lanes and back up traffic for a while.

Check back during the months of October thru March. You will find your commute is considerably longer.

Also, SW Broward is a very broad geographical area and depending on where in SW Broward you are commuting from, the routes differ and times are longer. In your situation Chelsa, you live in Cooper City east of I-75 so you are closer to the Turnpike. Someone living in West Pines would be twice as far from the Turnpike and would be better off taking I-75. That route takes longer as well.
I took the turnpike off of Flamingo (turns into red road) and then 95 - if I would have had the sunpass I may have gotten there quicker. I am frugle but I think th3 5$ a day to get by is pretty good LOL. I will be using that route.

I'm wondering though - will it be better go east on Griffin and get the Turnpike or just continue the way I am going, down Flamingo?

Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,424,093 times
Chelsa>

I think the Flamingo to Red Road route is good. That is how I would commute if I were coming from West Pines, west of I-75. You could also try taking Stirling east, then cut through to Pines on some back roads, then take Pines to the TPK.

I would avoid Griffin because you'd be backtracking north and the traffic on Griffin is heavy going east towards the Turnpike.

So you didn't use the I-95 Express Lanes? There is almost no traffic in those lanes, so it would cut down your commute time considerably.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Chelsa>

I think the Flamingo to Red Road route is good. That is how I would commute if I were coming from West Pines, west of I-75. You could also try taking Stirling east, then cut through to Pines on some back roads, then take Pines to the TPK.

I would avoid Griffin because you'd be backtracking north and the traffic on Griffin is heavy going east towards the Turnpike.

So you didn't use the I-95 Express Lanes? There is almost no traffic in those lanes, so it would cut down your commute time considerably.
OMG - I was so mad (not really) that I didn't have the sunpass. there were like 5 cars in those lanes at any given time. I felt like an idiot with all the traffic. I imagine that that can get conjested in the winter months though. So, I would think that my commute would be about the same as it is now going through the regular lanes.

As for backtracking...I think I'd be fine on Griffin because I live right off of Griffin and Flamingo. I can head south on Flamingo or East on Griffin to get the turnpike - I have never used griffin so I'm not sure what street the entrance to the turnpike is - can you tell me that?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM

392 posts, read 1,256,483 times
1. There is an entrance to the Turnpike from Griffin Road.
2. Get a Sun Pass as soon as you can
3. It's a "toss-up" heading South on Flamingo or East on Griffin to get the turnpike.... Try both and
see whats best. You probably have less traffic lights going on Flamingo

Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAfrica75 View Post
1. There is an entrance to the Turnpike from Griffin Road.
2. Get a Sun Pass as soon as you can
3. It's a "toss-up" heading South on Flamingo or East on Griffin to get the turnpike.... Try both and
see whats best. You probably have less traffic lights going on Flamingo
I'm going to SouthAfrica - do you know where the entrance is? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to stay on my current route or try griffin. I have no idea where the entrance is on Griffin though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area