Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:18 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
South Florida may not have been ideal but I think we did the right thing by making education the priority and figuring everything else out from there. We probably compromised on everything BUT that. It may just be about figuring out what's most important. Since you're able to get a job just about anywhere you definitely have that luxury.
Are you poking fun at me again for getting work LOL. School is definitely my priority as you know, hence the reason I live in Cooper City - I'm going to look into the IB and see what it entails and how I can get my boys into it. I don't know if they are that smarth though LOL - I don't want school to be something the dredd - I want them to enjoy it and if doing well in regular or AP classes is for them then I need them to be in a school that offers that and the schoolls with the IB program you mentioned seem to be pretty crappy outside of that program alone. Not only that they aren't exactly safe - Deerfield Beach didn't the girl who was stomped nearly to death live there and the girl who got shot for not being gay - didn't she live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Are you poking fun at me again for getting work LOL. School is definitely my priority as you know, hence the reason I live in Cooper City - I'm going to look into the IB and see what it entails and how I can get my boys into it. I don't know if they are that smarth though LOL - I don't want school to be something the dredd - I want them to enjoy it and if doing well in regular or AP classes is for them then I need them to be in a school that offers that and the schoolls with the IB program you mentioned seem to be pretty crappy outside of that program alone. Not only that they aren't exactly safe - Deerfield Beach didn't the girl who was stomped nearly to death live there and the girl who got shot for not being gay - didn't she live there?
haha, well you do have a talent for getting jobs !

Look, I'm not suggesting you send the boys to Deerfield Beach High - it would be an awful commute to Miami, for one thing! I have no idea where the kids who were on the news went to school (although there are nuts everywhere - including Virginia Tech!) Im not even saying do an IB program. I just put it out there for you and anyone else reading this to be aware that there are quality options in locations where traditionally they didn't exist before. And, don't be so quick to assume your kids aren't smart enough for IB and/or AP programs. They are YOUR kids afterall! And, you won't know if they'd be accepted if you never looked into it (assuming you even thought IB or AP was a direction to go in!) Every family and every kid is different!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 18,166 times
Do not attend American Heritage. Waste of ALOT of Money. My daughter attended there for two years...big drug problems and the school is very good at covering up bad press...If you are going to be near executive airport area Calvary Christian Academy is very good. I home school my daughter for free with Florida Virtual School- online free public school option. Along with that I have her registered with The Oaks Private school ( $65.00 a month) and they act as guidance and grant diplomas.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 8,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
American Heritage - if you feel like sending your kids to Harvard for grade school - it is about 30K a year. That being said it is a great school. i just relocated from NY in May and to say that the adjustment has been hard would be an understatement. I don't know what part of NY you are relocating from but if you give us that information, I can better tell you which area may be better for you. I can tell you with out question that Cooper City and Weston have the BEST Schools in Broward period - Weston's scores are better than Cooper City but CC doesn't lag far behind that - then there is Pembroke Pines - the west part - that has really good schools as well - it must be a big secret because NO ONE suggests it as a place to live ever! But I personally like it a lot better than I like Cooper City - very diverse, lots of shops and nice affordable homes. If you are from Queens or Brooklyn, this may be the place for you unless of course you are from Howard Beach then, maybe not so much. But there is a certain edge that NYers share and while Pembroke Pines doesn't quite have it, it is as close as you are going to get in Broward in my opinion. Weston is beautiful - and I mean stunning - I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling there - I wish I did, but I don't. Either place is just very bland to me - Cooper City and/or Weston - bland, bland, bland - but school has started and I am adjusting a little better meeting people through the kids baseball which is nice.
Hello Chelsa,
I currently live in the border of Queens and LI (Floral park area). We chose this area because it is in Queens side (lower tax compared to LI) and on district 26 where the public schools are good.

I work in downtown Manhattan and my current commute is an hour and 15 minutes but at least I can sleep on the express bus. I would not want to drive an hour, but I would do it to give my children a better education.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonface View Post
Hello Chelsa,
I currently live in the border of Queens and LI (Floral park area). We chose this area because it is in Queens side (lower tax compared to LI) and on district 26 where the public schools are good.

I work in downtown Manhattan and my current commute is an hour and 15 minutes but at least I can sleep on the express bus. I would not want to drive an hour, but I would do it to give my children a better education.
Hey Moon - so, you are a fellow queens gal! I guess there are a series of questions I should ask you.

1. Will your husband have a job before you move here?
2. If no job, where does he plan to work?
3. What type of work does he do
4. have you already looked into the areas by the airport and that is why you are asking about private schools?

I ask this because if you are depending upon 2 incomes but only one will be coming in that may be an issue for you if your husband doesn't have work lined up. While I personally have been fine finding work my poor husband has not found the same luxury! Although he is working, he isn't making what we know he can - it seems he is over qualified! I am being patient because they claim with his background he will move up quickly and make more money almost immediately - I'm waiting on that.

So, back to where to move. The airport is off of 595 and I think that it would suit you just fine to live in Cooper City - the schools are very good - however, if you are not impressed with the schools in nyc - I highly doubt you will be impressed with the schools here! Smaller class sizes and just overall what seems like a nicer environment for the kids is provided but I haven't seen anything particularly challenging for the kids though. My son was asked to read books he read in the 5th grade - I opted for the more challenging books and the teacher was okay with that. I don't know whether packing more knowledge into their little brains now is better or not. I imagine it doesn't hurt too much as my boys both have done pretty well in school even when I thought work was a little too much for them.

If your husband works in downtown ft. lauderdale or Miami - I think Cooper City is a reasonable commute - depending on the time of day - I drop my son off at school at 7:50 and am approaching my parking garage in miami at 8:35 and the bulk of that time is just getting to the turnpike - I take the expresslanes into downtown which cost money but so worth it to give me a 1/2 hour. I wish you luck on your decision! DM if you need more info.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBOSINC View Post
Do not attend American Heritage. Waste of ALOT of Money. My daughter attended there for two years...big drug problems and the school is very good at covering up bad press...If you are going to be near executive airport area Calvary Christian Academy is very good. I home school my daughter for free with Florida Virtual School- online free public school option. Along with that I have her registered with The Oaks Private school ( $65.00 a month) and they act as guidance and grant diplomas.

Calvary or virtual school versus American Heritage? Are you serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area