U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:49 PM

119 posts, read 281,626 times

Advertisements

Will someone who commutes from Broward to Dade help me get an idea of what kind of traffic I'll experience? I am considering a job in the center of Doral - I live near Atlantic and A1A (pompano). Unfortunately I'd be working typical 8 - 5 hours. Mapquest says 50 minutes - but I believe it will be much worse than that. I would really appreciate hearing what I could expect for the actual commute during rush hour. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,712,791 times
That actually sounds about right. I would add maybe about 10 minutes for local traffic in Doral, but the Turnpike/extension are fine.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,150,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanel24 View Post
Will someone who commutes from Broward to Dade help me get an idea of what kind of traffic I'll experience? I am considering a job in the center of Doral - I live near Atlantic and A1A (pompano). Unfortunately I'd be working typical 8 - 5 hours. Mapquest says 50 minutes - but I believe it will be much worse than that. I would really appreciate hearing what I could expect for the actual commute during rush hour. Thanks!
I should not comment because I have a home office and just commute across the yard to a building on another part of my property. I would think about an hour would be average for your trip but could be double that with accidents and back up's that always happen during rush hour. having said that, and this is just me.

A two hour a day commute is 40 hours a month. That is one complete "Unpaid" work week a month just getting back and forth to work. If you have no choice then you have to do it but it is better to live near where you work if you can. The one thing you discover when you get older is the value of time. If that 2 hour commute was say 30 minutes, imagine what you can do with an extra 30 hours a month all to yourself.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Mango makes a good point. It's probably worth looking at places closer to Doral. Maybe Miami Lakes, Coral Gables, Pembroke Pines or west Miramar depending on the budget?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,808,854 times
Or Weston, if you want to stay somewhat closer to Pompano for some reason.

One of my coworkers used to commute between NAndrews/I95 and Doral. He said it was OK, and even on some lucky days it only took him 30 minutes (he must have been flying).

Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,550,552 times
Doral? Where? Could you take the Tri-rail? And transfer to a bus? If so, the best bet for you is to take the Tri rail from Pompano, to the Miami Airport, and then take the Tri-Rail Shuttle into Doral..might want to check that out, especially if your employer will pay for transit.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 AM

3,913 posts, read 7,949,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Doral? Where? Could you take the Tri-rail? And transfer to a bus? If so, the best bet for you is to take the Tri rail from Pompano, to the Miami Airport, and then take the Tri-Rail Shuttle into Doral..might want to check that out, especially if your employer will pay for transit.
No, No! Don't do that! Downtown Miami is too far out of the way. Then you'd have to backtrack on buses across the city through traffic. It would probably take 2-3 hours. You'd be better off taking tri-rail to the first metro-rail station then out to the airport and taking buses from there.

I would recommend just driving. The Pompano to Doral commute is about 1 hour. There's very little traffic going that direction as you will be commuting against the grain of traffic. The Turnpike Extension is the least-traveled of the expressways in the area. You might encounter some traffic once you get off of the Turnpike in Doral.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM

119 posts, read 281,626 times
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think it is just too far considering my lease isn't up until next June - but thanks for the help

Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM

3,913 posts, read 7,949,337 times
One other thing:

From Pompano to Doral there are several routes you can take. I would recommend taking I-95 south to 595, then 595 west to I-75, then I-75 south to the TPK extension, then the TPK extension south to Doral. Avoid taking the Palmetto Expressway at all costs. I would also avoid taking the mainline Turnpike.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I would also avoid taking the mainline Turnpike.
Why would you say that? 75 can actually get kind of slow around the Miramar Pkwy area during the morning commute...never seen this happen on the turnpike mainline except for accidents, which also happen on 75 with similar frequency. I would say 95 to 595 to mainline turnpike to turnpike extension would be the fastest way.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-15-2010 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area