U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 PM

28 posts, read 192,891 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a 37 year old single female who is thinking of moving to Hollywood,Fl very soon. My mother, who is 79 has a childhood friend that lives in Melbourne(heard it's a little too quiet there), and a daughter who lives in Hollywood. For the past week, I have read the posts here on this forum about South Florida, and a lot of bad things about it....overpopulated, crime, etc..,
I was wondering what everyone thought about Hollywood. My mother's friend's daughter (say that 5x fast ....has lived down there since 1990 and loves it....
I should tell you that I am a "mixed" person of color, who enjoys living in a diverse place with access to culture (jazz concerts, ballet, salsa dancing...), and a little bit of a urban hippie vibe....For the last 20 years of my life, I have been living in Scottsdale and Phoenix...and although this place has come a long way in the past 6 years in terms of diversity, it is still basically Los Angeles without the beach....All people do here is shop!...and the more asphalt shopping centers they build here, the hotter it gets!...today it was 116 degrees and humid (forget the dry heat myths!). Also, there is the influx of very poor mexicans, well-to-do east indians, and rednecks from the midwest...oh and don't forget the upper class, "Humvee-driving" Wasps...all just basically tolerating each other! I am truly tired of this place!....If you are not blond and blue eyed guys of all races completely ignore you here!
and yes, yes, I know Jordan Sparks is from here and she is mixed, plus has seemed to do fine here (in Glendale)....but she is the exception...and plus her father is a former NFL player, and she deals on a different financial level than I do.

Thanx for Any Feedback,
Sabrina
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,396,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsseasand View Post
Hello,
I am a 37 year old single female who is thinking of moving to Hollywood,Fl very soon. My mother, who is 79 has a childhood friend that lives in Melbourne(heard it's a little too quiet there), and a daughter who lives in Hollywood. For the past week, I have read the posts here on this forum about South Florida, and a lot of bad things about it....overpopulated, crime, etc..,
I was wondering what everyone thought about Hollywood. My mother's friend's daughter (say that 5x fast ....has lived down there since 1990 and loves it....
I should tell you that I am a "mixed" person of color, who enjoys living in a diverse place with access to culture (jazz concerts, ballet, salsa dancing...), and a little bit of a urban hippie vibe....For the last 20 years of my life, I have been living in Scottsdale and Phoenix...and although this place has come a long way in the past 6 years in terms of diversity, it is still basically Los Angeles without the beach....All people do here is shop!...and the more asphalt shopping centers they build here, the hotter it gets!...today it was 116 degrees and humid (forget the dry heat myths!). Also, there is the influx of very poor mexicans, well-to-do east indians, and rednecks from the midwest...oh and don't forget the upper class, "Humvee-driving" Wasps...all just basically tolerating each other! I am truly tired of this place!....If you are not blond and blue eyed guys of all races completely ignore you here!
and yes, yes, I know Jordan Sparks is from here and she is mixed, plus has seemed to do fine here (in Glendale)....but she is the exception...and plus her father is a former NFL player, and she deals on a different financial level than I do.

Thanx for Any Feedback,
Sabrina

Hollywood is a crowded city that got really rough for a while, and is improving a lot. It is old, burned out, but there is something about a lot of Hollywood that is charming. The Downtown district is bustling now, and a lot of the culture and old Florida funk is retaining itself amongst the gentrification. They even have a real live jazz club, a rarity in South Florida! The crime rate there has hit its lowest in years. There are a few bums/ druggies/ hustlers around, but actual crimes towards people have been on a downward swing there to the point where I could call most of Hollywood relatively safe, with exceptions. The areas east of U.S 1 have charming historic neighborhoods, while others west can get really funky and rough. The mix of people in Hollywood has become incredible lately, and many cultures are represented. Overall, it has an old funky charm in sections that is kinda cool, and areas east of U.S.1 are well maintained (with a few exceptions), but I would not recommend Hollywood unless you are looking into Downtown or east of U.S.1 and do not have children. Regardless, it may be just what you are looking for, and the beaches there are quite nice, and there is a lovely broadwalk with businesses and stores along it where one can walk without cars on the streets. The vibe downtown has become distinctively cosmopolitan, with a lot of cool restaurants opening on Young's Circle and Hollywood Blvd. Harrison Street is also really starting to boom, and the entire downtown area has a cool cosmopolitan, but Old Florida type vibe. There are still a few vacancies around, and homelessness is a problem in the area, but the best advice I could give it to visit the area yourself and see what you think. Hope I helped, and if you have any more questions about specifics, feel free to ask or PM me .

P.S A lot of the negative press has been about Miami, and the people moving out of Broward County (where Hollywood is) seem to be for reasons that are typical of anywhere. Don't let it scare you away, because especially without children, it could really be what you are looking for!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-06-2007 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,698,336 times
I love Hollywood beach. I almost bought a beach front condo before they remodeled sidewalk of the beach. Since we are not sure about our future, we didn't proceed.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM
scs

2 posts, read 21,571 times
I am thinking of moving to Hollywood as well, and have been getting good feedback about options from this site. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:55 AM

90 posts, read 244,387 times
My husband and I live in Hollywood Fl and hate it. Federal Hwy is full of homeless people, hookers, drunks and drug addicts. It is shabby and run down. We pay $850.00 a month for a small run down apartments which the jalousey windows (tilted panes) suck all the a/c out of. We cant wait to move away. Soaring rental and home prices, an influx of too many people coming in, bad traffic, rude people and also high auto insurance make it tough to eke out a living here.
tcar509

Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 15,723 times
I too am thinking of relocating to Hollywood Florida and want to purchase a condo any areas to look for? I have no children so school is not an issue. I just wonder if the conditions have improved since the last thread was posted?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM

2,830 posts, read 8,901,342 times
I think Hollywood is charming - it does have some unsavory areas that you should be aware of.

In terms of buying a condo. I would stay as far away from anything that is a "condo" in this economy. Why? So many condos are in severe financial straits because of all the foreclosures which has put a tremendous financial burden on the condo associations and condo owners. So, stay away from this type of investment unless you have really done your homework and are deeply aware of the pitfalls of this type of investment.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 33,207 times
okay i do want to move to hollywood,fl or coral springs i like surb areas with very little traffic.how far is coral springs from hollywood

Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 33,207 times
is coral springs,flo better than hollywood

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 AM

24 posts, read 102,045 times
I think Hollywood FL is wonderful. I have visited there at least 3 times and I loved it every time I spend time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area