Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 7,886 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!
My husband's firm has decided to relocate him from the Philadelphia office to Ft. Lauderdale.

We're both in our early 30's with a 3 month old daughter and 2 dogs.

We'll be looking to rent for the first year or two and I wanted to know where about's I should be looking.

We're looking for a 3 bedroom in a nice/safe, family friendly area for under $2100 a month.

Any suggestions that would point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,702,866 times
Unless you're really not big on the suburbs, I'd recommend Plantation or Weston. And, Plantation is kind of a happy medium as it's somewhat close to downtown for a shorter commute for your husband (assuming that's where he'll be working - where will he be working?) This said by a person who is beyond ecstatic to actually be living downtown again after 20 years in the suburbs .

But for a respectable house, mature vegetation, walk-ability, proximity to Costco, Whole Foods, a mall, a Target, a Barnes & Noble/Borders, a great library, good primary schools and in your budget, I'm thinking Plantation - west of Pinetree Drive, north of 595 - the Nob Hill/Jacaranda area would be a good target.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 AM

Thanks, Fauve! He said he'll be working in Downtown Ft. Lauderdale. I've been living in the heart of the city of Philadelphia and I feel I'm ready for the suburbian lifestyle. I have two dogs and I'm tired of walking them twice a day from my 3rd story walk up (especially with a baby strapped to me at the same time).

Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,883,539 times
I have to say we just moved to Plantation and we really like the convenience of living here. We lived in Weston for 10 years before this and we liked it there also. Weston is further from downtown than Plantation. You may want to consider Weston when your little one is older and ready for school. But as long as you are renting I would stick with Plantation or Davie. Both are close to Fort Lauderdale and I think you will be able to rent a small single family home in your price range.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,377,519 times
I've read some good things about closer-in areas and neighborhoods such as "Shady Banks", just east of 95 on Davie Blvd.

Shady Banks Civic Association

If you don't want a good median between suburban and city dwelling.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,460,183 times
TriMT7>

The area you're referring to "Shady Banks" has some decent, small homes and quiet apartment communities. But the area is somewhat shady, no pun intended lol. Its not too bad, but you wouldn't want to let your kid go out and play in the streets there. There's virtually no shopping there except for a Winn-Dixie and Big Lots. In order to find a Publix you have to go downtown or to the 17th Street Causeway. I would not recommend that area, unless you are a single young person who doesn't care about schools and wants to be close to downtown.

Plantation and Davie are far superior areas to live for suburban life. Plantation is a short commute to Fort Lauderdale and has every store imaginable. It is relatively safe and has decent schools. Just make sure you avoid the eastern portion of Plantation. Stay west of the Turnpike and you'll be fine. Once you go east of the Turnpike the neighborhood declines.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,702,866 times
I actually like Shady Banks and put a bid on a house there about 6 years ago. Older architecture with character and reasonably priced waterfront. The Publix is on Andrews - about a mile away - not too far. I'd feel perfectly comfortable pushing around a stroller there, but I actually think it's a better area to invest in, rather than an area to raise kids.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:36 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,460,183 times
Fuave>

I agree about the investment part. Its only a matter of time before the downtown expands beyond its current borders. That will be prime area for condo builders to buy up properties, bulldoze them down, and build it up like Miami style.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 AM

This is really helpful! We're looking into Plantation, thanks to all your posts! I think we're heading to Ft. Lauderdale early January. I heard that hurricane insurance is ridiculous. What's the average price range? NJ property taxes run between 10K-12K a year, so I'm hoping this much needed insurance doesn't scare me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area