U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,372 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

First, I don't want this to be perceived as a totally negative, SoFlo-bashing thread on this forum as South Florida (Miami-Dade, Broward Co and the Palm Beaches) has alot to offer retirees, snowbirds, Spanish-speaking and Haitian immigrants and those with money. From the multiculturalism of the place, the great winter climate to the best beaches in the country, many folks get a real kick out of living here.

However...as an older, well-travelled and experienced former work colleague of mine once told me...certain places you hang your hat....and certain places you go on vacation or retire. South Florida would definitely fall under the later. As a younger technology professional who moved down to Broward Co. from the Rust Belt almost three years ago, I really wish I had done a bit more homework about the place prior to my move.

Professionally - the combination of the "Sunshine Factor/Tax" coupled with the massive influx of immigrants from Latin America and the Carribbean along with an amazingly highly number of un/under-educated, working class Caucasions as well as the lack of industry...all bring salaries (even with the handful of Forture 1000 companies based in the area) down to about 30-40% below the national average which makes the lack of a state income tax irrelevant. Many employers truly feel they are doing you a favor by having you work for them or offering you a job. Many of the processes, structure and professionalism associated with other employers around the country simply don't exist here.

Cost of Living - On par with parts of the New Jersey or Mass though with salaries in the toilet. Do your own math.....

Education - two things to note: Many FSU and UF grads finding themselves gravitating to the more lucrative job markets of the Sun Belt, the Northeast and elsewhere. Most friends and colleagues who I know who can afford it, send their children to private schools as the public school systems here is ravaged in most areas.

Socially - Because SoFlo is such a transient place, it is not easy to make friends in parts....

Again, SoFlo is not all bad. It will be 79 degrees tomorrow whereas my friends back up north will be plowing snow in the morning....though you must ask yourself....does the nice weather put food on the table or pay your bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 2,722,010 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant1974 View Post
First, I don't want this to be perceived as a totally negative, SoFlo-bashing thread on this forum as South Florida (Miami-Dade, Broward Co and the Palm Beaches) has alot to offer retirees, snowbirds, Spanish-speaking and Haitian immigrants and those with money. From the multiculturalism of the place, the great winter climate to the best beaches in the country, many folks get a real kick out of living here.

However...as an older, well-travelled and experienced former work colleague of mine once told me...certain places you hang your hat....and certain places you go on vacation or retire. South Florida would definitely fall under the later. As a younger technology professional who moved down to Broward Co. from the Rust Belt almost three years ago, I really wish I had done a bit more homework about the place prior to my move.

Professionally - the combination of the "Sunshine Factor/Tax" coupled with the massive influx of immigrants from Latin America and the Carribbean along with an amazingly highly number of un/under-educated, working class Caucasions as well as the lack of industry...all bring salaries (even with the handful of Forture 1000 companies based in the area) down to about 30-40% below the national average which makes the lack of a state income tax irrelevant. Many employers truly feel they are doing you a favor by having you work for them or offering you a job. Many of the processes, structure and professionalism associated with other employers around the country simply don't exist here.

Cost of Living - On par with parts of the New Jersey or Mass though with salaries in the toilet. Do your own math.....

Education - two things to note: Many FSU and UF grads finding themselves gravitating to the more lucrative job markets of the Sun Belt, the Northeast and elsewhere. Most friends and colleagues who I know who can afford it, send their children to private schools as the public school systems here is ravaged in most areas.

Socially - Because SoFlo is such a transient place, it is not easy to make friends in parts....

Again, SoFlo is not all bad. It will be 79 degrees tomorrow whereas my friends back up north will be plowing snow in the morning....though you must ask yourself....does the nice weather put food on the table or pay your bills?
As one of my former teachers used to say, "You have a firm grasp of the obvious".
So what is your point?
This is what you chose to waste your introduction post on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Parkland, FL
416 posts, read 1,101,703 times
Reputation: 249
Geez.. after reading all of these threads recently, it seems like I'm the only south Florida transplant that truely enjoys living here. I grew up in the northeast and traveled around a good bit before calling Fort Lauderdale my home in 2008. Granted, I'm blessed that I have a very good paying job that affords me a nice lifestyle. I like the weather, the pretty girls everywhere, and just the overall feel of south Florida.

I think it's important to realize that some people can adapt to their environment much better than others. In my experience living here, it seems that New Yorkers have a real hard time adjusting to anything slightly different from what they are use to. Most end up spending the entire day complaining endlessly about stuff they have no control over (it's sooo humid, traffic is sooo bad, etc etc). I have a handful of older NYer's that come to the HOA meeting in my condo building and complain endlessly about really petty stuff. Most are just unhappy that they are down here and will most likely move sooner than later (thank god!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,959,397 times
Reputation: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Geez.. after reading all of these threads recently, it seems like I'm the only south Florida transplant that truely enjoys living here. I grew up in the northeast and traveled around a good bit before calling Fort Lauderdale my home in 2008. Granted, I'm blessed that I have a very good paying job that affords me a nice lifestyle. I like the weather, the pretty girls everywhere, and just the overall feel of south Florida.

I think it's important to realize that some people can adapt to their environment much better than others. In my experience living here, it seems that New Yorkers have a real hard time adjusting to anything slightly different from what they are use to. Most end up spending the entire day complaining endlessly about stuff they have no control over (it's sooo humid, traffic is sooo bad, etc etc). I have a handful of older NYer's that come to the HOA meeting in my condo building and complain endlessly about really petty stuff. Most are just unhappy that they are down here and will most likely move sooner than later (thank god!).
HowGoesIt .... I am a NE transplant as well and love South Florida even with all of its many faults .... I probably would not live anywhere else other than So Cal or may be Arizona . I agree older New Yorkers and New Jersey folk are constantly griping and complaining about everything ... LOL !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
 
Location: between the swamp and the ocean
197 posts, read 177,146 times
Reputation: 146
I fully agree that there is indeed a lack of opportunities for young professionals and the job market is tight. That is the result of South Florida being dependent on a retirement/tourism economy and the generally low-paying service jobs that go with it. I too would caution a 20 something before moving here. I moved here in my late 20s during the "BOOM", working in a real estate related profession. It was 2005 and my boss enticed me with tales of all the construction cranes on the horizon. What a memory!

Many of my friends and colleagues in my demographic have been laid off at least once in the past 3 years; stuck in upside-down mortgages; underemployed and frustrated. Yes, some have good jobs, and some are fortunate not to have been caught in the real estate mess.

I have lived here for 5 years. There is a lot to like from the standpoint of outdoor activities, ease of travel from the hubs of MIA and FLL airports and the cruise ports, and NOW affordably priced real estate in abundance. There is a lot to dislike for folks with school aged children - the schools here are very marginal and increasingly underfunded. On that note, municipalities and counties are barely squeaking by and this will continue to impact services and infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:26 AM
 
141 posts, read 233,860 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree older New Yorkers and New Jersey folk are constantly griping and complaining about everything ... LOL !!
Another generalization.
This ex-New Yorker loves it here and is so very thankful to her daughter for introducing her to the area.

Most of the folks I know, (young, old, ex-northeners, ex-southeners, ex-South Americans, ex-Central Americans and even native Floridians) complain about the:
a. heat(7 months of the year)
b. humidity (7 months of the year)
c. cold (3 weeks a year)
d. traffic (worst on the East Coast)
e. cost of living and
f. even the way their HOA's are run

....and then they watch the evening news and see what the rest of the country is enduring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: between the swamp and the ocean
197 posts, read 177,146 times
Reputation: 146
Agreed, Raffeer- there are certainly worse places to be.

My point is that people should carefully consider the unique issues of this area especially younger professionals establishing their careers and/or starting their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: stuck
1,323 posts, read 2,209,207 times
Reputation: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I agree older New Yorkers and New Jersey folk are constantly griping and complaining about everything ... LOL !!
unfortunately for people like us (native north jersey), complaining is just so natural for us. atleast for me it is. i personally would love to move to a warmer climate. im stuck in the northeast until my wife agrees to go.

and to the OP. no good weather doesnt put food on the table, but for many it provides some much needed solace in an otherwise bland and unhappy existance. food will usually find its way to the table one way or another. unless you are a drug addict or homeless, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 08:34 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,959,397 times
Reputation: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
unfortunately for people like us (native north jersey), complaining is just so natural for us. atleast for me it is. i personally would love to move to a warmer climate. im stuck in the northeast until my wife agrees to go.

and to the OP. no good weather doesnt put food on the table, but for many it provides some much needed solace in an otherwise bland and unhappy existance. food will usually find its way to the table one way or another. unless you are a drug addict or homeless, or both.

Good post ... by the way I am a native New Yorker myself .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: America
6,703 posts, read 10,693,980 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer View Post
Another generalization.
This ex-New Yorker loves it here and is so very thankful to her daughter for introducing her to the area.

Most of the folks I know, (young, old, ex-northeners, ex-southeners, ex-South Americans, ex-Central Americans and even native Floridians) complain about the:
a. heat(7 months of the year)
b. humidity (7 months of the year)
c. cold (3 weeks a year)
d. traffic (worst on the East Coast)
e. cost of living and
f. even the way their HOA's are run

....and then they watch the evening news and see what the rest of the country is enduring.
not sure how watching the news helps them considering the south florida region is in the top ten for worst economies in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top