Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

I am sure the easement was there when you bought the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,685 times
An easement is a legal permission to use your property for some purpose. It appears that the existing operations have been on your property long enough that they have an established right to the land even if they cannot produce the documents. HOWEVER, you mentioned they were expanding onto more of your property. If that is the case and it is worth it to you, contact an attorney to issue them a cease and desist letter until they can produce the document that gives them the right to access the property. It is likely that the title search on your property only went back 30 or 50 years and if the easement was granted prior to it then this is the reason why it does not show up on the title search. But, you do have rights and it would not surprise me if no one at ATT had viewed the document that purportedly gives them their rights or if they can even produce this document upon request.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:21 PM

157 posts, read 601,106 times
Wow! thank you guys for all the information!
I have something to go by now, even though it looks like there's not much I can do, at least I know that I might be able to prevent them from taking over that entire side of the house!
I've been pricing fences lately and I think I'm going to build a fence along that side going around the darn easement, at least they won't be able to just park on my lawn whenever they feel like and they'll have to limit themselves to work on the area they are allowed to.
It will be a cost I was not planning on but well worth my peace of mind and regaining some privacy.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:45 AM

389 posts, read 1,084,071 times
I don't think there is anything you can do. That easement was in place when you purchased the property. If you had noticed before you purchased the home you could have decided to not purchase. Now it is too late.

When you say they are parking on your grass, are they parking on the outside of the sidewalk (if you have one) or on the inside. It does make a difference as the outside grass by the actual street is city property and not yours.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
In Coral Springs, vehicles are required to park on paved or stabilized surfaces. You could call the police and have them officially warned or ticketed.

However, we have multiple easements on our property (FPL, AT&T, cable etc) and have lived here 15 years. It is always better to go out and talk to the guys doing the work and just ask nicely. In fact, I'd encourage you to try an make contact with them whenever they are out there. They are generally very nice and receptive to a polite request, and make things difficult if people are rude or threatening to them.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM

157 posts, read 601,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
In Coral Springs, vehicles are required to park on paved or stabilized surfaces. You could call the police and have them officially warned or ticketed.

However, we have multiple easements on our property (FPL, AT&T, cable etc) and have lived here 15 years. It is always better to go out and talk to the guys doing the work and just ask nicely. In fact, I'd encourage you to try an make contact with them whenever they are out there. They are generally very nice and receptive to a polite request, and make things difficult if people are rude or threatening to them.
I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!!
and I will do just that next time I see them there...
but the fence is still going up : ) as soon as I have the money for it

Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,655 times
Default Rember

The utility has the right to get to the easement as needed..

Last edited by lcole07; 01-11-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Spelled remember wrong in title -- Sorry

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,140 times
If a vehicle gets broken into on the easement is it the property owners responsability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area