Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 16,475 times

Advertisements

I am moving from South Jersey to South Florida (Ft-Lauderdale/Miamidade) soon, with my 16 year old son. I am a single mom so I need a good apartment complex that is in the district of a GOOD high school. Very important! Max about $1350, $1400 if they are nice. I would love your help since I do not know much about the area. I was looking at Archstone Pembroke Landings in Pembroke Pines but I saw the ratings on apartmentratings.com and they were not good. Im afraid to move to a dangerous area so I need your honest opinion. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM

50 posts, read 103,493 times
me to!!!south jersey where you from, us wildwood we are moving to fort lauderdale

Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2011 View Post
I am moving from South Jersey to South Florida (Ft-Lauderdale/Miamidade) soon, with my 16 year old son. I am a single mom so I need a good apartment complex that is in the district of a GOOD high school. Very important! Max about $1350, $1400 if they are nice. I would love your help since I do not know much about the area. I was looking at Archstone Pembroke Landings in Pembroke Pines but I saw the ratings on apartmentratings.com and they were not good. Im afraid to move to a dangerous area so I need your honest opinion. Thanks!
I'm not gonna lie- it's gonna be tough. I am assuming you want a 2-bedroom (a decent 3brm is out of the question in that budget). You can start by looking at the high school. I know Cypress bay is good- however living in Weston (the area in which the school is zoned) is NOT cheap! I livein an "older" part of Weston and rent is still very expensive. Check area zoned for West Broward High (WEST Pines and Miramar I think). I know Miami has a couple good high schools but obviously those are hard to get into. Good Luck...

Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
Check area zoned for West Broward High (WEST Pines and Miramar I think).
The district for West Broward High runs north of Pines Blvd, which would basically leave Chapel Trail, Laguna Isles, Spring Valley, etc, all in Pembroke Pines. There aren't many apartment complexes or even townhomes in this zone, although you might find something in Silver Lakes. The areas south of Pines Blvd would be zoned for Everglades High, which isn't the worst school but not as good as Cypress Bay, West Broward, or even Flanagan for that matter. These sections of Pines would also be less desirable. The neighborhoods in this part of Miramar are fairly nice (with exceptions), but is is not necessarily inexpensive to live in the basically brand-new neighborhoods in Sunset Lakes and Silver Lakes. The best place to look would probably be in Davie in the Western High district, where you might be able to find a 2 bedroom for 1400 in the Pine Island Ridge area and a couple of other small pockets of townhouses, most of which are decent.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

Compelled to Reply, do you know if Archstone Pembroke Landings are good? They look nice and are within my budget at about $1330. But i read on apartmentratings.com that no one recommended it and all the reviews were bad. I am not sure if I should rely on that. Also, its on the border of Miramar and Pembroke Pines, but is in Pembroke Pines so my son will go to Flanagan. Which brings me to my next point, is Flanagan a good school? My son now goes to a very mediocre school where there are metal detectors and security guards everywhere so I dont need the school to be GREAT but if its decent i'll be fine with that. Thanks alot!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Compelled to Reply, do you know if Archstone Pembroke Landings are good? They look nice and are within my budget at about $1330. But i read on apartmentratings.com that no one recommended it and all the reviews were bad. I am not sure if I should rely on that. Also, its on the border of Miramar and Pembroke Pines, but is in Pembroke Pines so my son will go to Flanagan. Which brings me to my next point, is Flanagan a good school? My son now goes to a very mediocre school where there are metal detectors and security guards everywhere so I dont need the school to be GREAT but if its decent i'll be fine with that. Thanks alot!
Flanagan is not as bad as the school that you described, but is not free of problems. Basically, the school is what you make of it. As far as Pembroke Landings, I couldn't tell you about the actual community, but it's located in an okay part of Pines, not the best, not the worst. I have heard of crime problems in the individual neighborhood, but have no clue as to the magnitude of it. I generally would recommended renting from a private landlord over an apartment complex, even with the risks.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Why do you recommend renting from a private landlord? Are rental communities not ideal? and do you think the ratings online about apartment are accurate? That's the only thing that is repelling me from renting at that community because other than that it is ideal..

Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Why do you recommend renting from a private landlord? Are rental communities not ideal? and do you think the ratings online about apartment are accurate? That's the only thing that is repelling me from renting at that community because other than that it is ideal..
The rental communities generally are NOT ideal, except for the very expensive ones. They are often poorly managed and tend to let almost anybody in. In my opinion, you get a better value from a private landlord as well, as long as the unit is located in a stable neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Okay. Thank you so much! Do you know any specific communities that you recommend and are within my price range?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times
Private rentals can be a great option. Not sure about schools so can not help with that . Sorry. In older area of Weston (bonaventure) you can get nice private rentals in either apts,townhome,or villa,even single family. For your price range you can get a very nice townhome rental in coconuts community. The difference would be you would get the 2 bedrooms for sure (they are all 2 bedrooms) since it is not apt you do have the option of using a BBQ (that is important for many ppl in S.Fla). It is a very nice well kept-up place to live. The apts in that area from what I hear are quite nice and large. Have never personally been in any of the apts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area