U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM

6 posts, read 20,862 times
Default Moving from NC to Davie - Best Place to Live/Schools

We are making out first move in 10 years and will be leaving the mountains of NC for SE Florida. Husband is accepting new job in Davie.

We aren't buying because we are keeping our home in NC, so we will be renting a home. Rentals are twice as much in South Florida as NC.

We know nothing about the area. But would like some pointers on subdivisions/areas that have great schools that will be a fairly easy commute to Davie. We were looking in Weston, Plantation, etc. Rent for us will max out at about $2500 per month.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do REALTORS in the area assist with renters?

I am just kind of at a loss of what to do.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM

292 posts, read 316,125 times
Others will chime in to advise you about schools, but I can tell you that realtors DO help renters. I'm a landlord for the past 30 years and my best tenants have been brought to me by real estate agents. Not all agents like to bother with rentals but many good ones do.

You can look at rental houses and apartments at www.realtor.com. Do a search on the city or zip code and select Rentals under Home Type. If you see something you like, you can contact the agent that has it listed and ask them to show you similar homes or apartments.

You can also search craigslist for an idea of what's available
broward county all housing classifieds - craigslist

Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,780,469 times
Weston is good, but depending on how far east in Davie the job is located, it could involve some traffic on 595. Still shouldn't be longer than 30 minutes from any point of Weston to any point of Davie, though. Plantation is mostly nice, but won't have good schools in all areas, especially on the secondary level. Davie itself is very much worth a look, basically anything west of Pine Island Rd is in a good school district, and it might be cheaper in comparison to Weston for single family homes, although I would say it is about the same for townhomes/condos.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:41 AM

5,538 posts, read 5,573,001 times
Monicahuck, what part of the mountains do you live in now?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks for some of the info. I don't actually live in the mountains, we live in mid-NC. But I just like NC because of the mountains, 4 seasons, etc. I am really scared about this move. But DH really wants to take this job opportunity in FL. I have been doing as much research as I can on the area. I think we might go with Cooper City. I just hope we will be able to find a decent house in FL and will be able to rent our home here. DH's company is going to pay all deposits to get us into a rental house. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for our move.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

969 posts, read 913,845 times
Check out southwest ranches, it is just west of Davie. You can find something in your rent range and the schools are very good. I'm surprised nobody else suggested this. It was my favorite part of south FL, I used to take sundays drives from my townhouse in Davie to enjoy the area. I now live in NC and says its pretty comparable (IE: green space, open areas, horses, etc)

Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,780,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Check out southwest ranches, it is just west of Davie. You can find something in your rent range and the schools are very good. I'm surprised nobody else suggested this. It was my favorite part of south FL, I used to take sundays drives from my townhouse in Davie to enjoy the area. I now live in NC and says its pretty comparable (IE: green space, open areas, horses, etc)
This is a very good suggestion, I missed the rental price range! I would stick closer to Griffin and not too far west of 75 for better commute times.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 PM

92 posts, read 119,196 times
I grew up in Davie, lived in a neighborhood called Whispering Pines just off Flamingo Road near Orange Drive. There's a big section of older homes with lots of land nearby, see 16th Street SW, 14th Street, all around that area near Weston High School. It was a great place to live!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you so much! All of this info is so helpful and helping ease my mind... At least a little bit...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM

47 posts, read 62,428 times
I actually live in Davie(rent)..for the past 4 years
Have been ever planning to move closer to work(Kendall,thats south Miami) but somehow havent happened
Renewed the lease for an year last year

Davie does have decent homes and based on the location of work you might be able to find a place pretty near by
Nova school is very good,I heard.Thats where I intend to put my kid in If I continue here(He is 8 months old now )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area