U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM

259 posts, read 299,003 times
Immigrants come to U.S. for money ... no other reason. Money and security. If they could make the same money back in Havana, Venezuela, or Santa Domingo, and drive their Ferrari around without any danger of being robbed, they would go back in a heart beat. Most of those Venezuelans in Weston would rather be back in Venezuela ... Many don't like the U.S. ... They are only here because Chavez made it very hard for them to live back home ( and rightly so ).

Chavez, although a complete nutcase, he is ditributing the wealth to poor people. The mega rich, who don't give a sh*t about poverty, moved to So. Florida.

Soccer Mom / Driving SUV / Momma Bear has never traveled to Venezuela or Colombia ... I have. I lived there.

Until you know their culture ... you have no idea what is going on.

And immigrants come to the U.S. and take American jobs ...

Latin Americans never help their own ... Rarely do you ever see a wealthy Latin family helping poor Latin people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM

10,074 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Immigrants come to U.S. for money ... no other reason. Money and security. If they could make the same money back in Cuba or Venezuela, and drive their Ferrari around in Caracus, without any danger of being robbed, they would go back in a heart beat.

Chavez, although a complete nutcase, he is ditributing the wealth to poor people.

Momma Bear has never traveled to Venezuela or Colombia ... I have. I lived there.

Immigrants come to the U.S. and take American jobs.
We are not talking about Venezuela or Colombia. We are talking about Weston, FL.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,375,798 times
Default This is America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that if hearing Spanish around you upsets you then Weston is not a great place to live as many people choose to speak Spanish in public. However, I lived in Weston from 2000-2010 and I don't speak Spanish. I never had trouble finding a greeting card in English either. Now that I live in Plantation I am still in Weston at least 3 times a week and I never have any language problems.

My husband and I have many friends that are from Spanish speaking countries. They became our friends over the ten years we lived in Weston. They speak English just fine, even though they have an accent. However, if they are out with their families they speak Spanish.
Yes, hearing Spanish spoken A LOT does bother me. This is the USA and I don't want to hear it constantly. I also lived in N. Dade and it's unbelievable there how much you hear Spanish everywhere. 2 years ago I was staying in Miami Lakes and the checker at the Winn-Dixie did not understand even ONE WORD of English. This is what Weston will be in a few years. It's coming north! First Miami-Dade and then Pembroke Pines and soon Weston and beyond.

I worked in Broward County and the minute another Latin came along, the employee, who could speak perfect English, would immediately revert to Spanish, even in the workplace. I also had one fellow employee tell me I should learn Spanish. I know some Spanish, but until the people who have lived in the U.S. for 30 years finally learn English, I shouldn't have to learn Spanish.

As much as I love Florida, I could never live in Southeast Florida again. It's like living in another country. But I am sure there are people who are not bothered by it at all.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 AM

10,074 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Are you this argumentative with your husband?

I feel sorry for him.

Large and in Charge = Momma Bear
If he told me that Weston used to be nice in the 1960s I would challenge him.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM

2,123 posts, read 2,332,915 times
Quote:
Immigrants come to U.S. for money ... no other reason. Money and security. If they could make the same money back in Havana, Venezuela, or Santa Domingo, and drive their Ferrari around without any danger of being robbed, they would go back in a heart beat. Most of those Venezuelans in Weston would rather be back in Venezuela ... Many don't like the U.S. ... They are only here because Chavez made it very hard for them to live back home ( and rightly so ).

Chavez, although a complete nutcase, he is ditributing the wealth to poor people. The mega rich, who don't give a sh*t about poverty, moved to So. Florida.

Soccer Mom / Driving SUV / Momma Bear has never traveled to Venezuela or Colombia ... I have. I lived there.

And immigrants come to the U.S. and take American jobs ...

Latin Americans never help their own ... Rarely do you ever see a wealthy Latin family helping poor Latin people.

Your post started off like an ultra conservative and ended like a commie.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 299,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If he told me that Weston used to be nice in the 1960s I would challenge him.
I bet you challenge your poor husband too?

Thank god I am not married .....

Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM

352 posts, read 498,767 times
So Mr. Kurtz, are you recommending that people other than S. American NOT move to Weston?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 AM

16 posts, read 11,956 times
I believe this discussion should be about living in Weston... which very helpful for people moving there. As long as person is a good neighbor and has a respect to people, I personally do not care what language s/he speaks.

To the off-topic discussion that immigrants take american jobs...Employers do not pick by origin, they give a preference to more educated and experienced. Complain to American employers, not "immigrants" (who mostly are American Citizens btw)

Last edited by elle414; 01-29-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM

1,046 posts, read 615,549 times
Quote:
Are you this argumentative with your husband?

I feel sorry for him.

Large and in Charge = Momma Bear
The good news is this IDIOT, Mr. Kurtz, got banned!!!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 PM

2,123 posts, read 2,332,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The good news is this IDIOT, Mr. Kurtz, got banned!!!
Awesome news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area