U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 AM

173 posts, read 211,341 times

Advertisements

tell me about the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:12 PM

3,048 posts, read 4,404,739 times
Umm, are you referring to the Loxahatchee Waterway in Jupiter, FL? That is in northern Palm Beach County. I grew up there and can tell you from first-hand experience. The Loxahatchee Waterway is 100% freshwater once you get away from its mouth. At its mouth, it is brackish water where it connects with the Jupiter Inlet. Once you go upstream and it becomes freshwater, it is loaded with alligators. Don't wade in the water there.

There was a story of a little boy who was eaten by an Alligator about 10 years ago in Jonathan Dickinson State Park because he went down by the water to play.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 4,863,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Umm, are you referring to the Loxahatchee Waterway in Jupiter, FL? That is in northern Palm Beach County. I grew up there and can tell you from first-hand experience. The Loxahatchee Waterway is 100% freshwater once you get away from its mouth. At its mouth, it is brackish water where it connects with the Jupiter Inlet. Once you go upstream and it becomes freshwater, it is loaded with alligators. Don't wade in the water there.

There was a story of a little boy who was eaten by an Alligator about 10 years ago in Jonathan Dickinson State Park because he went down by the water to play.
That's horrible. In the 23 years Ive lived down here, Ive seen a total of 5 alligators - all in the Everglades when I was HOPING to see them.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM

310 posts, read 587,441 times
Sorry, but I only tolerate alligators around me as purses, shoes, belts, or wallets.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 AM

159 posts, read 336,428 times
Quote:
. Once you go upstream and it becomes freshwater, it is loaded with alligators. Don't wade in the water there.

Thats scary considering I went camping with my wife there . we were swimming in the loxahatchee the entire time. It was a designated swimming area and there was no sign of alligators .

Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
Thats scary considering I went camping with my wife there . we were swimming in the loxahatchee the entire time. It was a designated swimming area and there was no sign of alligators .
A designated swimming area is one thing. They probably have the area roped off. Its not just the Loxahatchee. Any freshwater body in Florida pretty much has alligators. Rule of thumb: DO NOT SWIM IN FRESHWATER IN FL. Those canals that run along the sides of the roads are bad too. Infested with alligators, snakes, and other nasty things.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
A designated swimming area is one thing. They probably have the area roped off. Its not just the Loxahatchee. Any freshwater body in Florida pretty much has alligators. Rule of thumb: DO NOT SWIM IN FRESHWATER IN FL. Those canals that run along the sides of the roads are bad too. Infested with alligators, snakes, and other nasty things.
You're overstating it, noelfan and I'm guessing you've never spent a lot of time near the canals. In one house in Davie, we had a nursery that got its water from the canal fed directly from the Everglades. My husband was in the water every week for 5 years in his waders cleaning out the filter and pipe that took up water. No snakes, no alligators. We had 300 feet along the water, as did our neighbor, and never did any alligators come up and sun themselves on our farms. Next house in Plantation was also on the water and we had a small jon boat. We fished and puttered around every weekend - no snakes (other than black garters), no alligators. Caught some bass though.

Im not saying it hasnt ever happened but it's a once in a very rare, rare occasion and sightings hit the news - there are no local waterways that are "infested" unless you're far west of Weston in the Indian Reservation. People are hit and killed by lightening FAR more frequently in South Florida. You wanna be scared? Be scared of lightening.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
You're overstating it, noelfan and I'm guessing you've never spent a lot of time near the canals. In one house in Davie, we had a nursery that got its water from the canal fed directly from the Everglades. My husband was in the water every week for 5 years in his waders cleaning out the filter and pipe that took up water. No snakes, no alligators. We had 300 feet along the water, as did our neighbor, and never did any alligators come up and sun themselves on our farms. Next house in Plantation was also on the water and we had a small jon boat. We fished and puttered around every weekend - no snakes (other than black garters), no alligators. Caught some bass though.

Im not saying it hasnt ever happened but it's a once in a very rare, rare occasion and sightings hit the news - there are no local waterways that are "infested" unless you're far west of Weston in the Indian Reservation. People are hit and killed by lightening FAR more frequently in South Florida. You wanna be scared? Be scared of lightening.
Fuave-

Well you guessed wrong because I spent lots of time as a kid (foolishly) swimming in canals, lakes, and waterways using rope swings and other stuff. I've also traveled to all parts of the state and know from experience that the vast majority of lakes, ponds, canals, and waterways in FL have alligators, snakes, and other nasty creatures not to mention agricultural runoff and toxins. Let me ask you- Do you have lots of experience in these canals? Have you ever gone swimming in them?

The reason you barely hear about incidents in the paper is because hardly anyone swims in these canals so there aren't many incidents. Wading through to fix a pipe is one thing, because that is a necessary job. Just because your husband never encountered an alligator or snake doesn't mean there are none in the area. That is their habitat. Also, all of these canals are connected by underground pipes to lakes, retention ponds, and creeks. Alligators sometimes get sucked through the pipes into residential developments. Between gators, snakes, and toxins, its not safe to swim in most freshwater bodies in FL.

Also, I said MOST of FL not Broward County. So while there may not be many alligators in Davie doesn't apply to the rest of the canals in the state. The original poster referenced The Loxahatchee Waterway which is in Palm Beach County. That river specifically is known for having an abundance of alligators.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Fuave-

Well you guessed wrong because I spent lots of time as a kid (foolishly) swimming in canals, lakes, and waterways using rope swings and other stuff. I've also traveled to all parts of the state and know from experience that the vast majority of lakes, ponds, canals, and waterways in FL have alligators, snakes, and other nasty creatures not to mention agricultural runoff and toxins. Let me ask you- Do you have lots of experience in these canals? Have you ever gone swimming in them?

The reason you barely hear about incidents in the paper is because hardly anyone swims in these canals so there aren't many incidents. Wading through to fix a pipe is one thing, because that is a necessary job. Just because your husband never encountered an alligator or snake doesn't mean there are none in the area. That is their habitat. Also, all of these canals are connected by underground pipes to lakes, retention ponds, and creeks. Alligators sometimes get sucked through the pipes into residential developments. Between gators, snakes, and toxins, its not safe to swim in most freshwater bodies in FL.

Also, I said MOST of FL not Broward County. So while there may not be many alligators in Davie doesn't apply to the rest of the canals in the state. The original poster referenced The Loxahatchee Waterway which is in Palm Beach County. That river specifically is known for having an abundance of alligators.
Why did you swim in the water if there were alligators in it?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Why did you swim in the water if there were alligators in it?
Eh. Because teenage boys do stupid things to be cool. Its not that there WERE alligators where we were swimming. Its that there could be alligators. They're not always sitting out in the open sunning themselves. And there are snakes and toxins in the water. Chances are, if you jump into these waters you will not get eaten by an alligator or bitten by a snake, but the risks are too high.

Why is it that you never see someone swimming in these waters Fuave? There is a reason. Also, it is not a good idea to let your dog run around near these waters. Alligators love to eat dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area