U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM

7 posts, read 10,556 times
Default Are there ANY apartment complexes you'd recommend in the area?

Every time I look something up, I find an Apartment Ratings page where everyone's complaining about drug use, rats, roaches, heroin needles, etc. ruining the complex and inattentive land lords.

I'm not looking to spend more than a grand or a bit above a month, but I think that's enough to keep me out of anywhere to terrible.

If I wanted to rent a house, would something like this be out of the question?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/apa/2223038732.html

I'm currently in Delray Beach and hoping to move out as soon as possible, but I'm overwhelmed as I moved to Florida from Austin, Texas, to live with my parents so I really have no idea what the good/bad areas are. I don't even really know anyone that lives around here, so it's hard to get personal recommendations.

Thanks for your help. I hope this isn't too annoying of a question.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM

32 posts, read 65,779 times
I live in an Apartment complex in Coral Springs (literally right next to Delray) called Harbor Inn Apartments. It's a very nice semi gated community. I say semi gated because the gates are only closed after about 7:30pm which is stupid but w.e. It's still a safe community, so safe that it's a bit boring. A 1 bedroom is $890/mo and a 2 bedroom is a bit over $1000. There's also another community 2 miles south of me called Cross Keys Apartments that cater to people with lower income (less than $35k a year) and you can't be a full time student for some reason *shrugs* Here's the site http://crosskeysapts.net/apts-pricing/ I personally don't have experience with that place but a couple biker friends of mine (the good kind of bikers) Have nothing but good things to say about it. It's nice enough for them to live in and not have their bikes stolen and is also a gated community.

As for places to stay away from, all I know is anything east of I95 is pretty much an undesirable neighborhood. Also certain parts of Lauderhill, Oakland, and Tamarac. Coral Springs has its bad parts but certainly not as bad as the neighboring cities.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM

328 posts, read 891,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextation View Post
I live in an Apartment complex in Coral Springs (literally right next to Delray) called Harbor Inn Apartments. It's a very nice semi gated community. I say semi gated because the gates are only closed after about 7:30pm which is stupid but w.e. It's still a safe community, so safe that it's a bit boring. A 1 bedroom is $890/mo and a 2 bedroom is a bit over $1000. There's also another community 2 miles south of me called Cross Keys Apartments that cater to people with lower income (less than $35k a year) and you can't be a full time student for some reason *shrugs* Here's the site Apts & Pricing | Cross Key Apartments In Fort Lauderdale Florida I personally don't have experience with that place but a couple biker friends of mine (the good kind of bikers) Have nothing but good things to say about it. It's nice enough for them to live in and not have their bikes stolen and is also a gated community.

As for places to stay away from, all I know is anything east of I95 is pretty much an undesirable neighborhood. Also certain parts of Lauderhill, Oakland, and Tamarac. Coral Springs has its bad parts but certainly not as bad as the neighboring cities.
If you avoid everything east of I-95 you avoid Las Olas, Downtown, the Intracoastal...there a lot of great places east of I-95!

OP, I recommend you work with a realtor (down here they assist with rentals as well). I worked with three different realtors to find my place in Wilton Manors. It's a great deal - a 2/2 for $900 a month including all new appliances and tons of parking, and it's in a safe neighborhood. I'm renting it directly from the owner, which is so much better then a large apartment complex, since all of the other units are owners so they take care of their places more (since owners tend to be more careful then renters). Another advantage is flexibility; I am month-to-month on my lease here and a large apartment complex would have made me re-sign my lease with them.

So yes, please consider east of I-95, but recognize that Fort Lauderdale is less about cities and more about streets. There are undesirable areas of almost every city here (except maybe Parkland) so working with a realtor might be your best bet. My realtor showed me both individual units as well as large complexes.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,056,693 times
Alextation is wrong. There are some great areas east of I-95 close to the ocean. Anything east of US1 is pretty nice. Once you go west of US1 and Dixie Highway, the neighborhoods decline. With a budget of over $1000, you can live in a beach condo. You'll have plenty of options. One apartment complex I'd recommend is Port Royale located off US1 in Fort Lauderdale. You can also look at single family homes for that price. Las Olas is very nice, but might be too expensive for you.

The areas to avoid are anything west of Dixie Highway and east of Florida's Turnpike. Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, North Lauderdale, Margate, western half of Pompano Beach, and most of Fort Lauderdale are areas I'd avoid.

Nice areas are Las Olas (downtown Ft. Lauderdale), Victoria Park, east Fort lauderdale (east of Dixie Highway), Fort Lauderdale Beach, Lauderdale By The Seas, eastern half of Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Coconut Creek, and Coral Springs.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 PM

310 posts, read 545,790 times
Port Royale is a waterfront complex in the very northern section of the city of Fort Lauderdale and it is a very expensive 24 hours security patrolled gated complex. Rental units there when available are not for less than $1,600 a month ( unfurnished ) and applicant has to bring first , last and security deposit with landord, plus a moving in security deposit with office management. I am talking of approximately 6 grand moving $$$$ up front. I do not think that's what SDL1986 is looking for.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM

310 posts, read 545,790 times
"The Solé" in Downtown Fort Lauderdale will work for SDL1986 . Rent is not as expensive as in some other buildings in the area, and he will be safe there. He can obtain there a 1/1 for approx. $900 a month.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Wow, thanks for the tips. If I were to use a realtor, is there one you can recommend?

Thanks guys!

I was pretty reluctant to stay in the area after moving from what's one of the most fun places I ever lived (Austin), but the weather's nice, I have a good job and my family all lives in Florida. Trying to make things work. I'd prefer living in Miami, but my office is in Boca.

Last edited by sdl1986; 02-21-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Angel Cazilla-

WRONG. Port Royale is not $1600. 6 grand for moving expenses? I don't think so. You must have the wrong apartment complex in mind. The 1/1's at Port Royale go for somewhere around 1000/mo. It is the most affordable apartment complex in the east side of Fort Lauderdale. There really is no better community for the location and price. The only negatives are the units are small and there are dogs barking around the clock.

Las Olas and downtown are much more expensive. Its either luxury condos or live in a craphole in Oakland Park. Otherwise, you have to live west in Plantation, Davie, Coral Springs, or Tamarac.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I'll check out Port Royale. That sounds cool. I'm real wary of online listings because all the listings seem to accentuate the positive and conveniently leave out that the house/apartment is indeed right in the middle of the ghetto (for lack of vocabulary).

Of course, that part's up to me. But if anyone can recommend me someone who can show me some good listings, that'd be awesome. I'd really like to start checking out places now so I can get this over with. Moving out of Mom and Dad's has been a long wait.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Port Royale is not in the ghetto. It is in a very nice area. Its on the east side of US1 very close to the water and the beach. It isn't downtown or anything, but its still a good location. Port Royale is about 15 minutes from downtown fort lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area