U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-09-2011, 08:16 AM

15 posts, read 19,286 times
Default Can you buy land and put a mobile home on it in Broward county?

I'm looking for an affordable living option. For starters, I want to buy something with cash so I'm limited to the amount of cash I have on hand. I also am not sure how long we'll be in South Florida so I don't want to get into a living situation that is too hard to get out of ie: It's hard to sell a house right now so I hesitate to buy one!

I was considering trying to buy a small lot and putting a mobile home on it. This way, I could take the house with me if I have to move and the lot shouldn't cost too much alone so I wouldn't have too much tied up in it.

Are you allowed to do this? Is there an area that anyone out there knows of that will allow you to live in a mobile home?

I DON'T want to be in a 'Trailer Park'. I want to actually own the dirt that the house sits on and I want to avoid the crime associated with trailer parks. I have two children and I don't want them in that kind of environment. They go to private schools so I'm not worried about any certain area in that sense.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Broward that I can buy a small lot and put up a mobile home--or even live in a large camper. Does anyone know if there is an area that allows this?

Thanks and if you have any other unique "Outta the Box" living ideas please pass them along! I would love to hear them and I'll consider anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-09-2011, 09:15 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,426,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevpoppy View Post
I'm looking for an affordable living option. For starters, I want to buy something with cash so I'm limited to the amount of cash I have on hand. I also am not sure how long we'll be in South Florida so I don't want to get into a living situation that is too hard to get out of ie: It's hard to sell a house right now so I hesitate to buy one!

I was considering trying to buy a small lot and putting a mobile home on it. This way, I could take the house with me if I have to move and the lot shouldn't cost too much alone so I wouldn't have too much tied up in it.

Are you allowed to do this? Is there an area that anyone out there knows of that will allow you to live in a mobile home?

I DON'T want to be in a 'Trailer Park'. I want to actually own the dirt that the house sits on and I want to avoid the crime associated with trailer parks. I have two children and I don't want them in that kind of environment. They go to private schools so I'm not worried about any certain area in that sense.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is anywhere in Broward that I can buy a small lot and put up a mobile home--or even live in a large camper. Does anyone know if there is an area that allows this?

Thanks and if you have any other unique "Outta the Box" living ideas please pass them along! I would love to hear them and I'll consider anything!
If you can it would be in the county and maybe something that is already grandfathered in. There would be so much you would have to do least of which bring utilities onto the property. Man that could cost a lot. Run an electric drop, put in a septic tank or have to hook up to a sewer system have water run to the property. I remember my mother in law buying a lot without checking. She paid $11,000 for the lot and it was going to cost $60,000 just to hook up the utilities. She had the same idea put a trailer on it. This was on one of the upper keys. You could be running into a bureaucratic can of worms that are unbelievable while your aim seems to be looking for something simple and cheap.

Unread 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM

2,801 posts, read 8,192,141 times
Also, remember this one very important thing ... HURRICANES. Have you ever seen a double wide after a hurricane? No? It's not pretty.

Unread 03-10-2011, 10:32 AM

388 posts, read 427,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevpoppy View Post

Can you get anymore stereotypical? I lived in a "Trailer Park" for a few years before I bought my house. And yes, the land was owned. No, at no time while I lived there was there any major crime. Heck I don't remember anything bad happening at all. Not sure what kind of "environment" you speak of.

All depends where you look. Yes there are some trailer communities that have high crime rates, but not all.

Unread 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,426,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboUSMC17 View Post
Can you get anymore stereotypical? I lived in a "Trailer Park" for a few years before I bought my house. And yes, the land was owned. No, at no time while I lived there was there any major crime. Heck I don't remember anything bad happening at all. Not sure what kind of "environment" you speak of.

All depends where you look. Yes there are some trailer communities that have high crime rates, but not all.
You own the land but it is a postage stamp thing and you have like no rights. You don't feel like own anything and are under everyone's scrutiny. I know people who live in trailer parks and if truth be told, none of them really like it but they often have no alternative.

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM

388 posts, read 427,417 times
My Mother-in-law has a trailer and so does her parents. (And very nice modern one's at that) They have had no issues whatsoever in all the years they have been living there. They just have an association just like my wife and myself do with our house. And yes, they own the land outright. If anything, my association had been more of a PITA than theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area