Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,685 times

Advertisements

hi, i am a 26 yr old young single mom with 3 little ones ..i currently live in the city of brockton ma, and have been dreaming for a few years now of moving to Fl, preferably FT Lauderdale, my dad lived there for 10 yrs and says it is beautiful,as i would love to be able to get out work and just take the kids to the beach and play...I am very nervous about taking this huge step by myself to state where most people arent originally from and where i know NOONE!!..I need advice on where to start. (SIGH)..i do hold a sec. 8 voucher but am looking to make a decent living (beauty and brains) dont want to live in the hood but would like to move somewhere where i can meet decent people, good schools, good work and GREAT football teams for my 9 yr old!(pop warner)??..PLEASE any advice will be GREAT, as i wake up and go to sleep dreaming of beng in the sunshine state!...what can i expect if i move here? hows the job market (office, secretary work)...is there lots to do with the kids? is it as great as it sounds? will it be a culture shock from up north? i am sooo interested in this i look up all types of stuff on my lunch break everyday but need actual peoples opinions on this...thank you Floridans for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 PM

40 posts, read 79,849 times
I can't speak to the city itself as I am relocating in May but I can tell you that the job market here is difficult. It took my husband a year to find a job that is in his field and at the level he was at prior to moving here. We drained our savings and the last few months were VERY scary.

Now speaking to you as a mother of two little ones. Moving away from everyone I know and all support systems to come to Florida was the hardest thing I have ever done and I had my husband to help. I love living in Florida and while I am glad I made the move a part of me wishes I had moved to Texas where I have family that could help with the kids.

Childcare is very expensive here and alone time is a luxury I just don't get anymore. Think long and hard before you leave your support system. I didn't and I regret it.

What I have learned about the area is that it seems if you are close to good schools you are far from the beach (unfortunately) and having lived in a beach town for the last year I will be sad to move inland.

Good luck to you! I hope others are able to be more helpful on Ft Lauderdale and the surroundings.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM

23 posts, read 82,115 times
Default I am originally from New England and have been here 2 years

So my first bit of advice would be to STAY IN NEW ENGLAND!!! Nothing compares to the charm and the life in New England. I have been in FL 2 years and it is a great place but I would never want to raise my kids here. I babysit and see how corrupt kids are down here! and you cant enjoy the seasons, go apple picking, enjoy the spring and have a white Christmas....The crime rate down here is scary and I heard the schools are bad unless you have the money to send them to private school. Also I dont think there are many job openings, FL has one of the highest unemployment rates right now

But there are some good things about FL so if you have your heart set on it then here are some suggestions....Move to a good town like Weston, Plantation, or Boca....Dont just move here, come down and get a real estate agent to show you around and look at apartments and houses (I have a great agent if you need one, she helped me and my husband find a great apartment when we moved here from Maine).

Good luck! and feel free to send me a message if you have any questions

Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Three kids starting at age 17 and no husband. Different fathers?

And Section 8 housing. I wouldn't say you have made smart life choices, stay in New England where at least you have family support.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:59 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,080 times
DO NOT move here unless you first find a good, well-paying job that pays at least $80,000/year. Not even sure you can afford to raise 3 children on that.

In all honesty, Fort Lauderdale is not really "beautiful". The beaches are, and there are some very nice neighborhoods such as Victoria Park. But most of Fort Lauderdale is pretty ugly and crime-ridden. There are some very nice suburbs like Weston, Plantation, Davie, Sunrise, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, and Coconut Creek. The schools are decent for FL, but nothing like Northeastern schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area