U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going into Kindergarden next year and we are just 1/2 a block from the boundary line for a school that is better than the one we are zoned for. Has anyone or does anyone know anyone who applied and was granted a reassignment to a different public school (not magnet) other than their zoned school?

I have looked on the Broward Public School District site ([url=http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/nclb_reassignments]NCLB & Reassignment Department[/url]) and it looks pretty tough to be approved for a different school than you are zoned for, unless you have a medical hardship, etc.

I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with how to do this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 AM

13 posts, read 30,286 times
Unless it is a charter or magnet school, your child will have to attend the school in your boundary.Sometimes the school your child is assigned to is furthur away then the better school.
Id suggest you find a neighbor in the boundary of the better school and use their address.
Almost all corrospondence from the school is electronic now anyway and if you know someone in the boundary, they can just call you if you recieve any mail.
I know people who have done this in coconut creek since the elementary school was across the street from them and their district was in coral springs about 10 miles from their home.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM

194 posts, read 237,984 times
I would put in for the reassignment, I know plenty of people who have gotten it that werent based off medical reasons, etc. Sometimes the reassignments are done off a lottery so the reason isnt really a concern. The few people that I know that applied for reassignments put down, most the kids on their street go to that school, the school is near your job so makes it easier for pick up, someone who lives over there takes them to school, etc..
Just apply and see if you get it.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 PM

20 posts, read 39,061 times
I know people around here who do this all the time (are reassigned to other schools). I was even offered reassignment for my daughter when she had issues with the public middle school in our area (she ended up going to private though).

I have a friend who lives in Margate who's kids both go to Coral Springs' schools. I have another friend who's daughter went to a Coconut Creek elementary school and when she moved within the city her daughter was in a different school boundary but she was able to get her back to the original school she attended.

There are certain schools in the area that allow for reassignment and there are some you may be able to choose if they have the space for the student available. All's you can do is try. I'm sure you checked out this website:
NCLB & Reassignment Department

If you really are serious about it, call the superintendent's office (that's what one of my friend's did).

Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 PM

355 posts, read 1,053,088 times
I don't think it's is a problem to reassign into another school, unless that school is overcroweded. And yes, a phone call can work miracles. You can also call your school board rep for your area. The School Board of Broward County, FL
Btw, James Notter, Superintendent, resigned as of June 30, 2011.

Last edited by lauralei2; 05-05-2011 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: more words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area