Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM

36 posts, read 125,633 times

Advertisements

My family and I currently live in Weston. We are planning to buy a new house and will start our search very soon. I heard that Heron Bay is opening 2 new subdivisions with different range of prices. They promised to have them ready in 12 months. I really like Parkland too. But for what I have slightly seen, it seems real estates taxes are higher there than here in Weston and also the cost of living in general.

My other point is that developer is the same one who had the chinese drywall problems there. Would you feel safe buying a house from them?

Does it usually take less or more time to build the house than what developers say?

Thanks you so much for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 AM

143 posts, read 415,842 times
I am currently living in a rental Heron Bay which I really like & have just recently been looking online at the new models they will open in the 2 new neighborhoods "Somerset" and "Sawgrass" (the floor plans are now online).
I though am hesitant due to the problems WCI had in Parkland in the past due to Chinese drywall. Word of mouth has it that some of the other developers here did much better by their customers than WCI once the problems surfaced. Unfortunately, the town council had no legal option to deny the permits as WCI went through bankruptcy and the chinese drywall was handled as a class action suit. By the (PA) court's ruling no prior acts of the "old" WCI could be used to deny a permit by the current company.
One would hope that the company has all new principals & that lessons were learned HOWEVER I am very interested to see what happens as people here in Heron Bay I spoke to were mostly not in favor of them coming back. FYI- Centerline properties did fine selling across the street from Heron Bay in Parkland Reserve even though they had chinese drywall issues up in Port St. Lucie.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Make sure you take into account all of the upgrades that the sellers have typically added to resales. Things like window treatments, flooring, landscaping, pools, upgraded hurricane protection, etc.....We opted to buy a home built in 2005 even though similar brand new homes were available in our price range. We felt that the upgrades in our house were well worth buying a resale vs new construction.

As far as WCI I really do not know how the company will behave. I think that since there is so much scrutiny right now the company will have to be on its best behavior.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Thank you very much for your replies! I appreciate your point of views! I'll keep doing my researches It's a big purchase and I want to consider all pros and cons. Thanks again,

Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 PM

42 posts, read 119,646 times
We actually are building in the new subdivision of Heron Bay called Somerset. I did a ton of research and aware of all the past problems. All I can say, is that I have been highly impressed with dealing with them so far and very pleased with what the home offers and all the upgrade that are included. If you want more info, let me know.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Thank you Jackie!
I'll send you a message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 PM

42 posts, read 119,646 times
no problem. I would be happy to share with you our experience. We are so excited to get new construction.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Jackie, I tried sending you a direct message but it didnt allow me per your settings. Could you please send me a direct message instead? We have an appointment with the developers this starting week. Very excited! We are interesting specifically in Somerset.
Thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
These guys are very professional and easy to deal with... I have met them and like what they are offering!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,393 times
My family and I have decided to move to Heron Bay to the new section Sawgrass Bay. We are very excited. Any tips or things we should be aware of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area