U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,060 times
Smile Weston vs. west sunrise

Hi. My husband and I will be relocating from NJ to the Weston, Sunrise area this summer. Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Kids are in college so schools are not an issue. My husband will be working in Sunrise, but I seem to be drawn to Weston. We will be renting a townhouse so any advise on communities would be great. Also, does anyone know anything about Water Terrace in Sunrise? Thanks for the help!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 436,577 times
Tao Sawgrass is open for lease. What is your budget?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 AM

10,025 posts, read 10,778,467 times
Weston is more upscale than Sunrise. However, the western part of Sunrise is fairly nice. There are some new buildings going up in Sunrise. They look very nice but to me the location is pretty poor. They are sandwiched between the Sawgrass Expressway and Sawgrass Mills Mall. In general rents will be lower in Weston, but these new buildings in Sunrise may have high rents.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM

thank you vr2 and momma_bear. Our budget for rent is $1600 /month.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:35 PM

vr2...looked at Tao Sawgrass on line. Looks beautiful. Never considered a high rise apt. Always lived in single family home. Do you live at Tao or know anyone who does?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 AM
vr2

I actually do have a place at Tao. We like it enough where we are considering dumping our Pompano Beach Club place and just consolidating at Tao. For $1600 you would be in a 1 bedroom with a den. Really all depends on what you are looking for ultimately. Again, I'd say check it out and at least do a walk through. What sold us on Tao was the location, we prefer it out west. The amenities and security are top notch as well, there is nothing west of 95 that can compete with the place.

In Weston for $1600 you would have a 2 bedroom, maybe with a garage. But if you don't need the 2nd bedroom and a den is sufficient - then why not check out a nice highrise with awesome amenities?

There are parts of Sunrise that are practically in/considered Weston. Sunrise is quite big.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,267,274 times
Dump beach for no beach?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:31 PM
vr2

Right now we are heavily favoring towards dumping the beach. The Tao condo is far superior in every way other than the beach view, though we do enjoy the Bank Atlantic Center and Everglades view as it's very quiet and peaceful, and a little hidden treasure that we didn't realize when we signed the papers, is that the sun sets in the west so we get a killer sunset from the balcony every night over the everglades. And the pool area at Tao is much more pleasant than the beach anyways.

We'll keep the beach condo for another 6 months at least just to make sure we are 100% sure, but it's definitely looking like we'll get rid of it... neither of us like Pompano at all.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,590,497 times
My family and I have been living in West Sunrise since 2003. We are close to the Sawgrass Mills Mall, Sawgrass Expressway, State Road 84, IKEA, etc. The Elementary and Middle schools are good. The high school is fine. We are close to parks and lots of fun places. An all around great place to raise a family.

Weston may be more "upscale". But West Sunrise is FRIENDLY!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM

481 posts, read 508,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
My family and I have been living in West Sunrise since 2003. We are close to the Sawgrass Mills Mall, Sawgrass Expressway, State Road 84, IKEA, etc. The Elementary and Middle schools are good. The high school is fine. We are close to parks and lots of fun places. An all around great place to raise a family.

Weston may be more "upscale". But West Sunrise is FRIENDLY!
I agree with this. I lived in Weston for 3 years and I found many of the people that I ran into not very freindly at all. We lived in a development off S post Rd and though it was nice, out of all the places I have lived around Florida and the country, I did not like Weston at all.

First, I foudn that there were a lot of families that were from South America and only in town for part of the year. It makes it hard to establish a feeling of community and for children to make friends when many are not permanent residents. Also, my child went to Everglades Elem. and though it is an A+ school, it was a horrible experience. I felt the principle was more about PR with the parents who lived in the richer communities then policy. They catered to the parents and did many things I felt as a teacher, to be unhealthy and against standard policy in most schools. There was just an aire of entitlement that I did not like at all.

Of course this is just one person's opinion and I don't want to come across as generalizing Weston as a whole. I was a girl scout leader adn met a lot of nice people. However, growing up in Dade and Broward county, if I had to move back to Broward, there are so many other places I would choose to live other then Weston.

That said, happiness is where you make it and any place can be wonderful or awful depending on the way you choose to view it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area