U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM

259 posts, read 806,494 times
Just for the record, I think there is some conflation of the Riverwalk, the Riverfront and the Himmarshee District.

While the Living Room is located in a Riverfront building, I think it is clearer to label everything after sunset as Himmarshee and before sunset as either Riverwalk or 2nd Street. Pretty much two different worlds depending on what the clock says. The Broward Arts Center and the Museum hardly draw a rowdy crowd.

That said, those bars east and west of the tracks make a ton of dough from 11pm to 4am....I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. Plus, the police actually like it because it pretty much puts all the drunks in town in a 2-3 block area.

I live downtown and use the cinema once or twice a month. I describe the environment as a college bar area after 10....overserved young patrons are an essential component. I'm surprised the police were not all over your incident...they are usually prominent on each corner after 10.

It's grimy and crowded, but I've never felt unsafe...nonetheless, I would never buy any food from any of those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:25 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,542,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
Just for the record, I think there is some conflation of the Riverwalk, the Riverfront and the Himmarshee District.

While the Living Room is located in a Riverfront building, I think it is clearer to label everything after sunset as Himmarshee and before sunset as either Riverwalk or 2nd Street. Pretty much two different worlds depending on what the clock says. The Broward Arts Center and the Museum hardly draw a rowdy crowd.

That said, those bars east and west of the tracks make a ton of dough from 11pm to 4am....I doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. Plus, the police actually like it because it pretty much puts all the drunks in town in a 2-3 block area.

I live downtown and use the cinema once or twice a month. I describe the environment as a college bar area after 10....overserved young patrons are an essential component. I'm surprised the police were not all over your incident...they are usually prominent on each corner after 10.

It's grimy and crowded, but I've never felt unsafe...nonetheless, I would never buy any food from any of those places.
Unless you are doing their books you can't be to sure of that. A crowed bar does not always translate profits. You need people with money in their pocket and spending to make money in the bar business. I owned a bar for years and I can tell you looks can be very deceiving. Many bars with wall to wall people are one bad night a week away from closing. The nut is sky high and the customers hang out but don't spend. They are there to hook up, hang out, or do something that is not served over the bar. I don't see that late night downtown crowd with pockets full of money and spending. You could turn most of them up side down and not get coffee money. Half are hanging around looking to do someones eases drugs for free.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:15 AM

3,001 posts, read 3,884,659 times
I agree with alwaystraveling for the most part. I still go every now and then because the drinks are very cheap compared to Las Olas or the Hard Rock. Also, there is no cover at Riverfront bars except for America's Backyard for guys. Riverfront serves its purpose. If you want cheap fun with a group of friends, it is a great place to hop around from bar to bar. If you want a more classy experience, you should go to Las Olas bars such as YOLO and Vibe.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 AM

248 posts, read 336,389 times
thanks guys, aside from that little ordeal, i am loving it here in south florida

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 4,765 times
Riverfront is horrible even in the daytime it is seedy. As above, after the happy hour is over, run don't walk from there and go over the train tracks(but watch yourself) or on Las olas.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM

347 posts, read 442,872 times
I moved out of town 4 years ago. Was staying on Fort Lauderdale Beach for the weekend last week. Thought it would be fun to go to the Riverfront/Himmershee area one night. Boy was I wrong. Its the clientle has gone down a ton and the drink prices have gone up. Not the same as I remembered. From what I have been told by family and friends, the young professionals have moved a couple of blocks to the Las Olas strip.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM

3,001 posts, read 3,884,659 times
The young professionals moved to YOLO and Vibe. Riverfront has gone downhill in the last 4 years. Tarpon Bend still has its frat crowd and America's Backyard is still going strong. But the sheer number of people who go out there has dropped way off. I think the recession played a big part in that. People simply don't have the money to go out and blow $100 on drinks every Fri or Sat night anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area