Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
When Italians came, they assimilated and learned English.

Why can't Latinos do the same?
Who says Latinos are not learning English ... I have Latin friends whose kids do not even speak Spanish ... do you honestly expect someone who immigrates here at say the age of 30 or 40 to automatically learn English ... the Italian comparison is absurd and as an Italian American I can tell you that even decades after the first Italian immigrants came to our shores many would not and even refused to learn English ... these early Immigrants had it different as they did not have TV , Radio and much signage in their native languages ... it is not that they were better people or better "assimilated Americans " than recent Latin immigrants . We as American are no better immigrants than these Latinos .. I have posted this before .. I have been to large American Ex Pat communities in Costa Rica , Panama , Mexico ( Guadalajara Chapala Area ) and Puerto Rico ( Dorado ) and most of these white non hispanic Americans have not learned sqat of Spanish , they all hang out together , speak only English expect the locals to speak English , etc , etc .. sound familair huh ?

Yes latin and other immigrants should learn to speak and write English properly and no we should not have to learn Spanish or any other language if we chose not to do so .. but with one fell swoop to assume that all Latinos refuse to learn English because you hear them speaking Spanish among themselves is absurd .

By the way go hang out in Sunny Isles , or Hallandale one week end and tell me if you see and hear the Russian or other eastern European immigrants speaking English among themselves or even speaking English at all ???

Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I'd like to learn Spanish just so I could eavesdrop on conversations.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM

615 posts, read 1,676,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
I mean its ridiculous just learn spanish its not that hard. also why is everyone so mean down here is it because most of the population is over 50 in the menopausal age range I dont know thats just my theory, if you have any other theory clue me in please.

Quote:
Why can't people down here teach themselves Spanish instead of complaining?
^^Because they may not want to learn/no interest? It's easier to complain about something then being proactive. lol

Not many people like feeling pressured/forced (human nature) to do something or not.

Quote:
with one fell swoop to assume that all Latinos refuse to learn English because you hear them speaking Spanish among themselves is absurd .
^^^Very absurd/untrue statement.

And why are people so mean? Who knows; it can be a number of things. The same is said about NYorkers (lol!). Some people are just miserable and take out their troubles on the "world".

Quote:
You want to know what the best part of growing up an American citizen in a bilingual, multicultural household is?
^^IMO; one of the best things about being bilingual is having more opportunities available as knowing more than one language is an ASSET! :-D

Last edited by SummerBabe; 07-08-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
LOLOLOL at OP. How arrogant can a person and immigrant get to move to a country and expect the local citizens to learn their foreign language.

The door to your argument swings both ways. Its just as easy for these immigrants to learn English.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM

199 posts, read 365,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
I mean its ridiculous just learn spanish its not that hard. also why is everyone so mean down here is it because most of the population is over 50 in the menopausal age range I dont know thats just my theory, if you have any other theory clue me in please.
Maybe the are too dumb to learn a second language, or proud of their ignorance, like the progress-resistant immigrants from those very same Latin American countries which they love to criticize. At least many of the immigrants have the excuse of never having recieved the benefit of a full primary education. When I worked in Curazao I was shamed by and admiring of a 17 year-old kid who could prattle on in Papiamentu, Dutch, English and Spanish. I had to ask him to stick to English and Spanish, Papiamentu if he spoke s-l-o-w-l-y, but I was really happy to know him, he was invaluable as a hired guide, language instructor and makeshift yeoman, which is why I can't possibly get all the haters.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post

By the way go hang out in Sunny Isles , or Hallandale one week end and tell me if you see and hear the Russian or other eastern European immigrants speaking English among themselves or even speaking English at all ???
There is a difference between speaking your home language among your peers, and not being able to speak a word of English, especially after being here for over two years.

From personal experience, I don't think comparing Eastern Europeans and Latinos is comparable.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:33 AM

199 posts, read 365,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
People are mean here because they are either rich and snobby, or not so rich and unhappy. Just plan to make a lot of money and have people envy you, or be respectful and live modestly. Bottom line, this is the united states, and this is our culture. You can either learn it and be a part of it, or refuse to assimilate and further isolate yourself.
You want to know what the best part of growing up an American citizen in a bilingual, multicultural household is? Being able to talk to your family and friends outside the house in your second language and thereby forcing the strangers around you to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM

264 posts, read 774,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
You want to know what the best part of growing up an American citizen in a bilingual, multicultural household is? Being able to talk to your family and friends outside the house in your second language and thereby forcing the strangers around you to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.
Um ok, this thread is stupid. I question the competency level of those in favor of force feeding a foreign language here. What next, should we all have to learn arabic/japanese/italian/swahili? Absolutely ridiculous, you guys must be living in a small world to even consider this.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
If you'd like to continue this thread in English, press 1.

If you'd like to continue this thread in any other language, please hang up and come back when you've learned English you ungrateful turd!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
There is a difference between speaking your home language among your peers, and not being able to speak a word of English, especially after being here for over two years.

From personal experience, I don't think comparing Eastern Europeans and Latinos is comparable.
Ok so I guess most Latinos that have been here for over two years do not speak any English and yet most Eastern Europeans who have been here for over two years do ?

What a stupid thread .. I hope the moderator shuts it down .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area