Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM

348 posts, read 638,452 times

Advertisements

The best advice I could offer anyone moving to South Florida with a FRESH bachelor's degree in marketing and communications.....

is to.....FIRSTLY
move to Argentina and Brazil for a couple of years.

Work and study down there. (Teach ESL, get a local girlfriend, watch a lotta TV)
Learn Spanish and Portuguese WELL.

And THEN, COME BACK to South Florida.

Otherwise, you will be forever CRIPPLED by your inability to fully KNOW YOUR MARKET.

You ABSOLUTELY need to be fully prepared for your market and for this century.
You have nothing to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
That's way overstated. Maybe if we were talking about Miami, but not Fort Lauderdale. Even Miami- I lived there a while and did not know Spanish and survived. I guess it depends what field you are in.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM

348 posts, read 638,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
That's way overstated. Maybe if we were talking about Miami, but not Fort Lauderdale. Even Miami- I lived there a while and did not know Spanish and survived. I guess it depends what field you are in.
We're talking about marketing and communications, NOT accounting and medicine. How FAR do you want to go in your career?
Or do you just want to survive?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 9,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
So then what is your max budget? Because $115/week is not going to get you anything "decent" here either.
I would say $1,200 max for a 1bd. Is that possible?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
The best advice I could offer anyone moving to South Florida with a FRESH bachelor's degree in marketing and communications.....

is to.....FIRSTLY
move to Argentina and Brazil for a couple of years.

Work and study down there. (Teach ESL, get a local girlfriend, watch a lotta TV)
Learn Spanish and Portuguese WELL.

And THEN, COME BACK to South Florida.

Otherwise, you will be forever CRIPPLED by your inability to fully KNOW YOUR MARKET.

You ABSOLUTELY need to be fully prepared for your market and for this century.
You have nothing to lose.
I can agree with the other poster, this is way overstated, sounds like some template language from some cheap university's study abroad site.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM

74 posts, read 275,072 times
For a safe area, 700-900 a month will not get you anything. Even in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale like Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Tamarac.. you will be in an unsafe area for that amount of rent. I know, I've done it. To be in a safe area you'll be looking more towards $1050+ at least for rent.

It can be done though as a server. I have a friend who works at this restaurant on South Beach and he makes over 3,000 a month and his rent at his apartment is 900. The apartment is smaller than most people's bedrooms but for some people that's okay. Not sure the safety of where he lives, but it can be done. The restaurants on South Beach are typically really busy and expensive, and most people give you really good tips. Have you considered bartending? That might help you out even more if you can't find a job with your degree.

It's not cheap to live in South Florida. You might be able to find something in Boynton Beach or Delray Beach but again, it might not be in the safest area. I'm not too familiar with that area except that I know it's a bit cheaper so I'll let someone else help you with that section.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM

34 posts, read 81,460 times
Mike, I am moving from CT tomorrow I am leaving, I am also your age (23) moving to NMB/Aventura area buying a condo in a good area for under 40k. It can be done man. The worst thing that can possibly happen is you don't like it and you end up back at home, (no big deal) I would rather know I tried to do something then be 30-40 and say why didn't I move when I could have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area