Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 13,659 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking here for a while, and I've decided that it's time for me to start asking about my situation. I will graduate from a top school in my field next August and have a few job offers to consider. One of them would bring me to Fort Lauderdale. I really like the company, but I have a few questions. To help you help me, here's a little information about myself:

The job is stable and will pay close to six figures starting base. I'm single, no kids, never married. I grew up in south Georgia and have no desire to live in bum**** nowhere again; conversely, it doesn't have to be as big as Atlanta. Now my questions...

(1) Would you recommend any places to live? I'm thinking condo/apartment right now because I see no need for more than one bedroom.

(2) What do young people do? I'm not into clubbing, so things like sports teams or volunteer efforts would be cool.

(2a) Are there any young people? There's a stereotype that everyone in Florida is dead or dying (don't shoot the messenger).

(3) Are there nice areas for outdoor exercise? Here in Atlanta, we have Piedmont Park which I really like for my triathlon training sessions.

(4) What's crime like? In Atlanta, there are some really shady parts, but I've never had any trouble because I've learned how to avoid them.

(5) What's public transit like? I'm not expecting much, but I like the idea of taking a light rail system to make myself a little more carbon neutral.

Thanks for reading!
tl;dr: Urban college kid maybe moving down, how would he like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Wow a lot of questions. I'll try to address them one by one. I am a guy in my late 20's by the way and I think you will like Fort Lauderdale.

1. Live in a condo in East Fort Lauderdale either in the Las Olas section (a.k.a. downtown) or on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Those two areas are where the nightlife is and where many young people live. Las Olas is mostly young professionals. The rents are a little pricey, but you can afford it with your income.

I would say Miami, but Miami is too radical for you coming from rural Georgia. It would be culture shock for you. Miami is also more of the club scene. It is a huge city like Atlanta. Fort Lauderdale is an easier transition for someone from a different region of the country. It has more of an American feel instead of a Latin feel like Miami does. Fort Lauderdale is also less hectic and has less people per square inch and half as much traffic. Fort Lauderdale is like a suburbia and Miami is a big city.

2. Young people do everything here. There is no one uniform culture and everybody can fit in. The beach and watersports are a big part of recreation for younger people here. Nightlife is big too.

2a. Yes there are tons of young people in their 20's. The Florida= all old people perception applies to other parts of the state, but not South FL or specifically Fort Lauderdale. You will find there are lots of old people, but also lots of young people to counter the old people. There are more young people here that are active out doing things than most parts of the country.

The one thing I will say is that there are very few rednecks here, except out in the western suburbs of Fort Lauderdale. So if you're looking for the Sweet Home Alabama crowd, wearing wrangler jeans, boots, and confederate flags, you're not going to find it here.

3. Yes there are outdoor areas. The best of all is the beach. If you live in Las Olas, you can jog along Las Olas Blvd straight from your building to the ocean which is about 1 mile. Or you could live on the ocean and jog around. There are various parks in the western suburb areas of Fort Lauderdale where you can jog as well. Some parts of Fort Lauderdale are sketchy so you won't want to go too far from Las Olas.

4. Like Atlanta, there are good parts and bad parts. In the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County area, the extreme eastern parts near the water and ocean tend to be safe and nice, but about 1 mile inland the neighborhoods get really bad. Then as you go further west, they get good again. It is complicated to explain and there are many bubbles/pockets of good and bad. So first we will have to figure out exactly what area you are interested in and then we can break down the micro analysis of the area.

5. Public Transportation is really bad in Fort Lauderdale. No metro rail except for the Tri Rail which is only good for long distance commuting. Miami has a metro rail system and then a people mover in the downtown area. If you consider Miami, I would recommend Brickell because of the people mover. But Fort Lauderdale is mainly about buses and they are highly unreliable. You will need a car to live here.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times
Based on what you wrote, it seems like you should be hanging out with this guy here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...h-florida.html

Old 11-20-2011, 07:05 PM

11 posts, read 13,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
So if you're looking for the Sweet Home Alabama crowd, wearing wrangler jeans, boots, and confederate flags, you're not going to find it here.
I guess I should have clarified... That sounds perfect to me. I don't really fit in back home, being an atheist liberal.

Thanks for your detailed reply; it really helped assuage my fears. In reply to your answer for (1), where exactly is Fort Lauderdale Beach? All I have to go on is Google Maps. Are any of the references I drew on this map (http://imgur.com/od5JR) close? Does it span a few of them?

Another question, what's it like having the hurricane season that Florida is known for?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahabrewer View Post
I guess I should have clarified... That sounds perfect to me. I don't really fit in back home, being an atheist liberal.

Thanks for your detailed reply; it really helped assuage my fears. In reply to your answer for (1), where exactly is Fort Lauderdale Beach? All I have to go on is Google Maps. Are any of the references I drew on this map (imgur: the simple image sharer) close? Does it span a few of them?

Another question, what's it like having the hurricane season that Florida is known for?
Where is Fort Lauderdale Beach? It is located due east of the city of Fort Lauderdale. The entire east coast of Florida has a narrow barrier island with a waterway called the Intracoastal Waterway separating the mainland from the island. The beaches are all on the island no matter where on the east coast of FL you are. In Fort Lauderdale, the city and downtown are on the mainland and the area known as Fort Lauderdale Beach is on the island. They are separated by a series of short draw bridges.

Your Google map link did not work. Just look at a map and find downtown Fort Lauderdale specifically the intersection of US1 and Broward Blvd. Then go due east until you hit the ocean. That is Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Hurricane season falls between June and November. Hurricanes are most likely to hit in August, Sept., and Oct. It is different every year. Some years like this year we get no hurricanes or tropical storms whatsoever. Other years like 2004 and 2005 we get constant threats brewing in the Atlantic Ocean. Most of them go elsewhere, but you never know until the last minute where exactly it will hit. Some go up the coast to the Carolinas and others go south to Cuba or the Gulf of Mexico. Very few actually hit FL. If there is an imminent threat, anyone living on the beachfront areas must evacuate as mandated by local police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area