Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 AM

24 posts, read 35,428 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a decent place in ft.lauderdale in a few years, something not overly expensive yet in a good area. Im originaly from New York and I moved down to NC back in 2004. I'm not crazy about it and it really isn't a bargain to live here live most people say it is, plus people aren't nicer, drivers are not courteous, so I'm use to these things. Anybody got any advice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Wow. Florida is the last place you should look then.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami have THE WORST DRIVERS in America. Far worse than NY or NC. Drivers here are not nice and are not courteous.

Fort Lauderdale is also WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than NC.

Perhaps you should look west?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM

I know about the worst drivers being there but up here the nascar fumes and pork grinds make the good ol boys think there industructible especially with their lifted pick ups, its not even cheap to own a car here, we have personal property taxes on top of state inspections, not to mention a proposal to tax your mileage, 1/4 cent per mile. Not sure how far that will go. But the fact is you can't win either way....

Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 AM

However bad you think those things are there, they are worse here. South FL is more expensive in every category, higher cost of insurance, has worse more aggressive drivers, worse crime, and just as many if not more pickup trucks. If you move here, you are asking to be miserable.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM

Go look at some areas of charlotte, raleigh, Winston Salem, shootings are on the news almost everyday in mecklenburg county plus a guy shot his 2 kids and himself in my neighborhood a few years ago. It's just funny how all these things get swept under the rug for the charlotte area and the rest of NC and people act like its just another day but if it happens in NY,OH,FL , the forums get flooded with negative feedback, I don't know why people think NC is the perfect place to live because it really isn't , one thing I have to give it would be its a perfect pit stop and a good place to put kids through school, not to mention good universities like UNCC ,NC state , ECU etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 just kicked in yo View Post
I'm looking for a decent place in ft.lauderdale in a few years, something not overly expensive yet in a good area. Im originaly from New York and I moved down to NC back in 2004. I'm not crazy about it and it really isn't a bargain to live here live most people say it is, plus people aren't nicer, drivers are not courteous, so I'm use to these things. Anybody got any advice? Thanks
So you will feel right at home down here in South Florida, well conditioned. by NC.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM

As I already said, however bad it is in NC it is worse here. Moving to FL would be a mistake for you.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM

What about plantation, I've heard a lot of good things about it, what's your opinion? I really need to get out of NC within the next few years, can't stay here forever

Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 just kicked in yo View Post
What about plantation, I've heard a lot of good things about it, what's your opinion? I really need to get out of NC within the next few years, can't stay here forever
No matter where you choose to live down here, the problems you have in NC are going to be far worse. You seem to be ignoring what we are telling you. If you move here, it should be for other reasons. Not to save money or get away from crime or traffic or rude people. South FL people are probably the rudest of anywhere, even rivaling NYC and Boston.

Plantation is mostly a good area. The schools are not highly regarded. It is generally a younger area and has tons of apartment communities. Plantation is very conveniently located being about 15 minutes west of Fort Lauderdale. There is lots of shopping there. I personally like Plantation because it has lots of natural foliage and traditional style housing as opposed to most of South FL which is generic and Med-look housing.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
No matter where you choose to live down here, the problems you have in NC are going to be far worse. You seem to be ignoring what we are telling you. If you move here, it should be for other reasons. Not to save money or get away from crime or traffic or rude people. South FL people are probably the rudest of anywhere, even rivaling NYC and Boston.
To the OP from NC - Please listen to the above advice. South Florida has, by far, the worst drivers in the US. In my new city of Chicago, I would rather take the worst traffic on Lake Shore Drive than spend another day fearing the insanity that is I-95. Let me reiterate: drivers in South Florida are WORSE than drivers in America's third-largest city. When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, there was a report of a fatal vehicle accident nearly everyday. I learned to drive offensively, and aggressively, since drivers didn't use signals, don't obey the speed limits, and don't respond to horns.

Also, NoleFan34 is spot on about the rudeness. I really think you need to visit South Florida before moving here. Spend a week down here, if you can. Don't just go to the beach; drive around town, go to the grocery store, look at other things. People see the sunshine and the beach and assume life is grand because of that; it's not the day-to-day reality for most people (unless you're a lifeguard).

Also, what makes you so deadset on moving to South Florida? I know there's nice weather, but there's a lot of other great cities in the US that deserve your consideration. I know you want to escape North Carolina, but please believe that you are NOT going to escape rude people and bad drivers in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area