Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 PM

11 posts, read 20,811 times

Advertisements

Hello I am moving from Ohio to either the Ft Lauderdale or Miami area I would love some information on some high schools that are decent in the area. I looked into Weston area would love to be in that district but I believe it is out of my price range. From what I am reading I guess to enroll your child into a charter or magnet school you must enter a wait pool which was done last December unless I dont understand it correctly. You also must reside there at this time and I will be moving in June. My daughter is a good student 3.5 GPA and will be entering the 9th grade We are from a smaller town in Ohio so I know this will be a big change any help with some info will be much appreciated Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 PM

66 posts, read 169,795 times
Look in Cooper City. Smaller town feel, good schools and cheaper housing...good luck!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the help I looked at the high school in this area it does have a good rating never heard of this area before so once again thanks Does this school area include the Davie area? Is this a decent area to reside I know there isnt a perfect place in this world at least I have not found one but just looking for decent not afraid to walk outside area and good high school could not find many apartments without the Davie address

Old 01-28-2012, 08:52 AM

No the school does not include Davie. Yes it is very safe. No problems walking outside. The school is rated an A. There are no apartments that I know of. Most likely you would need to rent a house or townhouse. Not sure of your budget but worth checking into.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Yes looks great Looking at around 1300 to spend for rental Townhouse or condo would be fine. Just need to find one in the area to have a start at something to look at But the reviews are great for that school. So when looking for one I would need to only look at Cooper City? For example I look on Craigs List and a few are cooper city but not many but there are areas close to it just confused on area as you can tell Im sure Thanks

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblond48 View Post
Yes looks great Looking at around 1300 to spend for rental Townhouse or condo would be fine. Just need to find one in the area to have a start at something to look at But the reviews are great for that school. So when looking for one I would need to only look at Cooper City? For example I look on Craigs List and a few are cooper city but not many but there are areas close to it just confused on area as you can tell Im sure Thanks
Yes as far as I know just look in Cooper City. Then make sure you use the address and double check zoning so there are no surprises. On the Broward County Public Schools website you should find a school locator and put in the possible address.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have a list of schools that I have found any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated
They are in no particular order
1. Marjory Stineman Douglas
2. Pompano Beach High
3. Cooper City High Have some info on this school
4. Western High
5. Nova High
6.JP Taravella

Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblond48 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I have a list of schools that I have found any thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated
They are in no particular order
1. Marjory Stineman Douglas
2. Pompano Beach High
3. Cooper City High Have some info on this school
4. Western High
5. Nova High
6.JP Taravella
No Cypress Bay? No West Broward? I would rank both ahead of Western. Coral Glades is also OK.

If I recall correctly Pompano Beach High school is a magnet school. Check with the school board regarding entrance requirements. Nova HS is also a school with a lottery and special entrance requirements. There may not be any openings at these schools.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,235 times
Pompano Beach High is all magent with abot 900 applicants for 300 slots. It's a very nice smaller high school though. They operate on a blaock schedule - no school on Firday. There are less problems with drugs and violence there as most of the student body is grateful to be there and on a college track.

Stoneman Douglas has a very strong band program. I just attended the All County Honors Band Concert and they had about 10 kids there for the high school band. hat's a very strong showing.

Taravella also has a good band program and large drama program. I've heard complaints for over a decade now from diverse sources that the student body is more promiscuous than most.

The principal at West Broward has a very good reputation as a leader who has coped well with budget cuts. I think they have a couple of programs too, like veterinary assistant, that you can pursue while in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area