Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,935 times

Advertisements

Hello. we
Currently live in South San Diego, and are considering relocation to Fort Lauderdale area. If we did,it would be under the condition that we had a job out there, hopefully one with a pay increase.
Sounds like plantation area has good schools? Kids are first and third grade. Any zip codes we could look up with good schools would be appreciated.
Any feedback from people that have raised families in San Diego and Ft Lauderdale would be appreciated. I speak passable spanish, wife no habla.
We are pretty active people, and enjoy snorkeling, fishing, hiking, camping. I have a slight redneck tendency, and am excited about better hunting/fishing opportunities out there. Wife likes to Zumba!!
Any help appreciated.
B&D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnboyd View Post
Hello. we
Currently live in South San Diego, and are considering relocation to Fort Lauderdale area. If we did,it would be under the condition that we had a job out there, hopefully one with a pay increase.
Sounds like plantation area has good schools? Kids are first and third grade. Any zip codes we could look up with good schools would be appreciated.
Any feedback from people that have raised families in San Diego and Ft Lauderdale would be appreciated. I speak passable spanish, wife no habla.
We are pretty active people, and enjoy snorkeling, fishing, hiking, camping. I have a slight redneck tendency, and am excited about better hunting/fishing opportunities out there. Wife likes to Zumba!!
Any help appreciated.
B&D
I think that you will find that jobs pay better in San Diego. Fort Lauderdale is an area with a notoriously low pay scale. It is not a very redneck area. Schools in Plantation are good for elementary and middle (Seminole Middle only). Both public HS are pretty bad.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM

351 posts, read 1,127,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that you will find that jobs pay better in San Diego. Fort Lauderdale is an area with a notoriously low pay scale. It is not a very redneck area. Schools in Plantation are good for elementary and middle (Seminole Middle only). Both public HS are pretty bad.
Momma_Bear, I don't have children yet but my friend / neighbor has his son at South Plantation (we live in the SPHS zone, 33317), which recently was an A school (2010) and is now slipped to a "B" rating for 2011 which was surprising to many as the new principal there has done quite well in improving the school over the past few years. From what he says the school is not "pretty bad; I'd reserve that description for schools that are Cs or below. Plantation High School (different school) is a C school.
See FCAT School Grades - High (Grade Ratings of High Schools).

I am familiar with San Diego (having considered relocating there a while back).

The housing prices here are substantially lower than SD, so it is possible to take a job at the same or lower salary range as in SD, and have an equivalent or better standard of living.

Of course, the weather in S.D. is unbeatable, and we have to suffer thru the summers here. But fishing and boating here is great. Speaking of Plantation, the neighborhood we live in (Plantation 33317) has ocean access waterfront homes where you can keep your own boat in your backyard and go fishing

Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
The schools in Plantation are not the best. I would consider Cooper City, which has a slight redneck rustic feel to it compared to other parts of South FL. Also consider parts of Davie with good schools. Also consider Southwest Ranches- I'm not sure how good the schools are there.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 PM

22 posts, read 33,419 times
In Plantation, a great school would be Central Park Elementary School. Zip code 33323. It's an 'A' school & both my children attended that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area