Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 33,409 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Plantation, Florida from 2008-2010. Within that time period, I was unable to find employment. I, unfortunately, returned to NYC & enrolled in classes to become a CNA. Now I am a licensed CNA & I have extensive hospitality industry experience as well. I still cannot seem to get my foot in the door, let alone get an interview in any company in Pembroke Pines, Florida. I love Florida and all that it has to offer my 2 children and myself. I've come across many Floridians here in NY who says that I have to reside in Florida for at least 5-10 years before I can be considered for any job there. Are there any Floridians out there that can clarify this for me, please? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times
That's BS. Many people move down here and then look for a job. (Which I don't recommend) And others have something already lined up.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
I moved to South Florida from NY about 11 years ago, without a job. Just quit my NY job and moved. It was rough for a few months. And I definitely felt the bias when interviewing. I got plenty of interviews, but often they would hire someone local over me (I felt like they thought I would be asking for too much since I just came from NY).

But after a few months of looking, I had a nice job.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Ok.....so though I'm a very determined & stubborn individual, it's just all talk???? Thank you.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times
Same deal with my dad. My mom was lucky to transfer here from NY. My dad had to find work and he was able to. As long as you are qualified you should be ok.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM

When I lived there from2008-2010, I applied for every job that I could find. I was only fortunate to nag 3 interviews, all of which of when they 2 glanced at my resume, they'd asked if I would be more comfortable in a managers position because I was from NY. I told them sure n they each sent me an I'm sorry, we found our man letter. It's very understandable that NY has a higher pay rate than Florida, however, I was and still am very determined not to make top dollar there, but to make a life for my girls n myself there. I am very qualified to work in the hotels there & as I said before, I am a licensed cna & 9 yrs. of a receptionist.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
When you say you applied to every job you could find, maybe that is your problem. It seems like you don't have any idea what specific job or area you want to go into. Just applying blindly with no sense or direction or career path is like a guy walking into a bar and asking every woman to sleep with him in the hopes that 1 out of 100 will say yes. Maybe these employers are under the impression you have no idea what you want to do or what the job entails, or maybe you are unqualified for these jobs.

And it sounds like you have NY arrogance. I'm sure none of these employers appreciate that you are from NY and think you are superior to an employee from FL. Just because you're from NY does not make you smarter than someone from FL, or more qualified for a managerial position. If you said those things, then I'm guessing that was the nail in your coffin.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Mr. Nolefan34.......You know, I should have been a bit more clearer when I said that I applied for every job I could find. I applied for jobs in the areas where I am much more skilled at. Jobs in the hotel industry, in spas n local offices and schools. Jobs where I could utilize abilities. I did a lot of volunteer work in a local school there. However, I do not go into nor apply to any job position with my eyes wide shut. I do my homework before walking into any establishment and asking for an application. I know what I'm up against. I don't put any employee above me or beneath me because we're all looking for the same thing. A stable job. When I called back one the potential employers and asked what did I lack in the interview, the response was over-qualified for the particular position and the fact that they couldn't match my pay rate. I told them that I didn't mind. Please, don't try to make me sound as if I'm arrogant. There are many of us that are trying to find our way back into the job market and so far I'm meeting a lot of vacationing Floridians who are telling me otherwise.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 18,215 times
First off. Don't when they ask you if you would be more comfortable in a manager's position- DONT SAY yes! Thats admitting you are over qualified and trust me they are not seriously considering hiring you in a manager's position.

Also Try not to say what your previous salary was. Just tell them what you are looking for. if they specifically ask, say I was making X in NY, but I understand the cost of living is higher there and do not expect the salary here to be in line with what I would receive in NY.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
u being from NY shouldn't have a bearing on ur employment....
so long as u live in florida now. Meaning on the date of the interview, u should be living in florida already.....u dont need to be there for 5 to 10 years, thats BS....complete BS..

To be honest though, I wouldn't go around advertsing you're from NY. I mean if someone asks u where ur from, of course tell them, but dont just randomly bring it up like "oh, im from NY and just moved down here looking for work" rather just state "you're interested in working for this company and u feel u could be a great asset to this company/organization" etc. . NY does not need to be brought up. .

In fact, I worked for one employer who would toss applicants from NY in the garbage because she did not care for New Yorkers..... but im sure she was the exception rather than the rule. .

Good luck, and being that you're a CNA u should have no problem finding a job, I think the major problem is ur up in NY and not down here in FLA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area