Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM

52 posts, read 93,397 times

Advertisements

South Florida has great restaurants and as for people being unfriendly, just go to almost any saloon at happy hour. Lots of happy, outgoing people. I agree that Pompano Beach is a decent spot to live, especially east of US 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
It can be very rewarding living here if you focus your life on the beach, nightlife, and you have a good job. If you have a lousy job, live further west or in a rough section, and have to commute 45 minutes each way, it can be miserable living here.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
People in NYC are much more intellectual than they are here.
I am still trying to get my hands around some of the comments on here ... I have lived in South Florida for sixteen years now ... first Weston and now Parkland .. we love it down here .. sure you have your a-hole quota and it is a service economy so job prospects are not that great .. but the comments on here that everyone is rude and just out for them selves is utter nonsense .. what is being more "intellectual " ... liberal ?

I am from NYC originally and still love the place ... but you take the good with the bad and yes there are plenty of low intellect a-holes in NYC .. I go up to Connecticut every other month and a more dull boring and other than Yale in New Haven a more intellectually void place I have never been to .. I have often been asked if I was from around there as I am too friendly and yes I have now been a South Floridian for sixteen years .. in summary yes there are rude people down here and mental midgets .. but I have also met some of the nicest people down here as well and we have a great circle of friends and family ... my daughters are now in College one in FAU ( Boca Raton ) and the other starting at FSU in the fall .. we have relationships with balanced , intelligent professional people and for the veiled racists on here they are all color and ethnicities .. the generalizations made on here by some are mind blowing .. these are people who would not be happy anywhere and they use these silly forums as some kind of therapy . I also find that people who tend to complain about how rude others are tend to be rude them selves ... I just got back from having lunch with my wife at a Middle Eastern restaurant on Sunrise and University and we were commenting how nice the people there and at a Starbucks in Plantation were ... you project a positive vibe and are nice and treat people with respect and it will be returned in kind most of the time .. sorry for the diatribe but there are too many generalizations on here and most from bitter malcontents in my opinion .

Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
It can be very rewarding living here if you focus your life on the beach, nightlife, and you have a good job. If you have a lousy job, live further west or in a rough section, and have to commute 45 minutes each way, it can be miserable living here.
Very true .. but you can say that about So Cal where I lived for nearly six years .. we agree So Fla is not for everyone ... but my family and I for one like it here .

Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKLIN View Post
South Florida has great restaurants and as for people being unfriendly, just go to almost any saloon at happy hour. Lots of happy, outgoing people. I agree that Pompano Beach is a decent spot to live, especially east of US 1.
I have met many wonderful people down here from Stuart all the way to the keys and have met a-holes as well ... we have all kinds just like anywhere else .

Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM

230 posts, read 385,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
If you lived ANYWHERE and had a lousy job, rough neighborhood and long commute you'd be miserable. You really should consider relocating to another part of the United States.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM

230 posts, read 385,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I am still trying to get my hands around some of the comments on here ... I have lived in South Florida for sixteen years now ... first Weston and now Parkland .. we love it down here .. sure you have your a-hole quota and it is a service economy so job prospects are not that great .. but the comments on here that everyone is rude and just out for them selves is utter nonsense .. what is being more "intellectual " ... liberal ?

I am from NYC originally and still love the place ... but you take the good with the bad and yes there are plenty of low intellect a-holes in NYC .. I go up to Connecticut every other month and a more dull boring and other than Yale in New Haven a more intellectually void place I have never been to .. I have often been asked if I was from around there as I am too friendly and yes I have now been a South Floridian for sixteen years .. in summary yes there are rude people down here and mental midgets .. but I have also met some of the nicest people down here as well and we have a great circle of friends and family ... my daughters are now in College one in FAU ( Boca Raton ) and the other starting at FSU in the fall .. we have relationships with balanced , intelligent professional people and for the veiled racists on here they are all color and ethnicities .. the generalizations made on here by some are mind blowing .. these are people who would not be happy anywhere and they use these silly forums as some kind of therapy . I also find that people who tend to complain about how rude others are tend to be rude them selves ... I just got back from having lunch with my wife at a Middle Eastern restaurant on Sunrise and University and we were commenting how nice the people there and at a Starbucks in Plantation were ... you project a positive vibe and are nice and treat people with respect and it will be returned in kind most of the time .. sorry for the diatribe but there are too many generalizations on here and most from bitter malcontents in my opinion .
Agreed. Not to generalize like so many people here have done, but where one lives, you take the good and the bad, and everyone's experiences are relative. The vitriol on this thread would make me not want to move to SFL either, and even though it's not my personal favorite place, I make it work.

Last edited by trailblazer33; 04-05-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
Agreed. Not to generalize like so many people here have done, but where one lives you tak ethe good and the bad, and everyone's experiences are relative. The vitriol on this thread would make me not want to move to SFL either, and even though it's not my personal favorite place, I make it work.

Agree ...

Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM

36 posts, read 85,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
Agreed. Not to generalize like so many people here have done, but where one lives you tak ethe good and the bad, and everyone's experiences are relative. The vitriol on this thread would make me not want to move to SFL either, and even though it's not my personal favorite place, I make it work.
I commented on this very thing in another thread. My family and I will be moving to SFL in a month or so and I was shocked by all of the negativity. Seems like most of the moaning is characteristic of the misery of living in any other major city. Stated this in the other thread and I will state it here.... Life is 10% circumstance and 90% what you make it!!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:26 PM

74 posts, read 129,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondsquirrel View Post
I commented on this very thing in another thread. My family and I will be moving to SFL in a month or so and I was shocked by all of the negativity. Seems like most of the moaning is characteristic of the misery of living in any other major city. Stated this in the other thread and I will state it here.... Life is 10% circumstance and 90% what you make it!!

It is relative,I guess,to what you are coming to,like anywhere else.It helps to know as much about someone's situation as possible before advising the person to relocate down here.For example,I wouldn't recommend anyone in teaching to move here.I also would not recommend an engineer to move here, unless there is a specified recruitment into upper management.Having lived down here for a long time,I strongly believe the income has to be on the higher end down here to be happy,especially if kids are in the picture. It seems like people from the Northeast,where the cost of living is high,have an easier time adjusting.

The comments are probably over the top,the people are not that bad fo the most part, and South Florida is a beautiful area with alot going on.But you will not be happy if you are going to be one of the working class,underpaid,stuck in traffic at least an hour each way in your commute,kids in mediaocre schools(because you are underpaid and can't afford private schools,)and repetitive layoffs because each company you have worked for decides to leave the area every couple of years.Also,I believe it is easier here if you are young and no kids are in the picture,where you can spend your money on the nightlife that does exist here.If you find yourself in a position to avoid these specific negative aspects,you will probably find it to be one of the best areas to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area