Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,366,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The OP is from Rochester. The cost of living in Rochester is much much much much lower than it is in NYC or any of the surrounding suburbs. It will be MORE expensive in Fort Lauderdale than it is in Rochester. Maybe he should consider Daytona or one of the less expensive areas of northern FL.
Oh Rochester you absolutely right...He will be in Culture Shock compared to cost of living here...yes maybe he should look further north...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM

33 posts, read 48,961 times
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I just want to give some hope on a "downer" thread that there IS opportunity in south florida, even if it's rare. I moved here a little over two years ago from PA and got a pretty significant pay increase for basically the same job. This probably won't help the Crusty Anus any, but in case anyone else is reading it's not all doom and gloom here (as someone noted, go for healthcare if you want solid, steady work).

Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5951 View Post
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I just want to give some hope on a "downer" thread that there IS opportunity in south florida, even if it's rare. I moved here a little over two years ago from PA and got a pretty significant pay increase for basically the same job. This probably won't help the Crusty Anus any, but in case anyone else is reading it's not all doom and gloom here (as someone noted, go for healthcare if you want solid, steady work).
Of course there are some fields where there are good opportunities but the OP is talking about loading and unloading trucks. That is not a high paying, high opportunity job.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM

45 posts, read 80,359 times
Thanks Matt. By the way I have never been called "the" crustyanus hehehe. just crustyanus or crusty, etc. Anyway, I never said I was looking for a high paying job. Just a blue collar job. All I want is a roof over my head. Not too much to ask ,is it? I would do Daytona. Actually, anywhere south! the further the better. I just don't know which areas are good and which are bad.

Quote=Momma_bear;23935797]Of course there are some fields where there are good opportunities but the OP is talking about loading and unloading trucks. That is not a high paying, high opportunity job.[/quote]

Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM

45 posts, read 80,359 times
By the way Matt, are you happier and why did u move if u don't mind saying?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,464,200 times
crustyanus-

If you think you're miserable and bored now, just wait until you move to Daytona. I'm willing to bet its no more exciting there. Most of FL is flat and boring. It is much warmer in Daytona than NY though and you have beaches. But culturally, you'll be in the South.

Fort Lauderdale is not the South and has lots of NY'ers. But the cost of living is through the roof here.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,366,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5951 View Post
No one is talking doom and gloom...We were referring to Crusty's situation as far as a Job went...My dh too has a nice paying Job, and yes there are jobs here again depends on what you do..but the fact that he is leaving a Union Job and for what he does will not make very much money here I know this from the research for my brother in law....but if one can't be honest why sugar coat something and then have Expectations only to not be happy with the earnings that you are going to make....Relocating is a big deal at least I think so...

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
I don't think of this thread as doom and gloom. When people ask a question I don't bother to answer unless I think I have something of value to say. If someone asked the same question as the OP but said they were a nurse or a PA the answer would be totally different.

I have spent time in Rochester, NY. It is a fairly nice small city with dismal weather. I get that. However, the cost of living in Rochester is in line with what people make. As a result Rochester is probably a better place to live if you are a low wage earner than Fort Lauderdale. I am not here to just say yeah-this is the place for everyone. It is a nice place, but difficult if you are at the lower end of the wage scale, because housing and insurance are so expensive here and those are "must haves" in terms of expenses.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:40 AM

33 posts, read 48,961 times
My post wasn't specific to crusty's situation which I thought I stated. I'll try to be more clear next time.

Crusty, I moved because 1) I had lived in PA my whole life and wanted a change and 2) I was offered a job here before I moved. There is good and bad here, and for the most part I like it. It's a huge culture shock for sure, and if you're not used to hearing spanish 24/7, prepare for it.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,419,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyanus View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the replies. Thing is ..... you talk to southerners and they want to go up north. People up north want to go down south. I dont know if you guys have been there your whole life, but I have spent my 42 years here. Some of you have no idea what it's like here and how good you have it. the beaches here in Rochester are disgusting! I wouldn't go in the water if you paid me! It is all ghetto too! We are literally stuck in the house for about 7 months out of the year! IT"S LIKE JAIL! There is nothing to do! If anyone tells you there is, it's cause they like doing stupid things . Everbody is fat cause they need the insulation. The women too! Even the 40 year old women look good down there. No offense anyone.
It will always be that way in life; people thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Depending on circumstances, preparation and luck, it can sometimes be. I was born and raised in NYC, but ventured out to Central NY and Upstate quite often. Cost of living is cheaper up there. You get more house for your money vs NYC (and a slower paced lifestyle).

However, you're looking for a quality of life different from what you have, which everyone here understands clearly. I think you may want to reconsider the whole Florida thing. First, find work, and a salary that can make a COL decent for you. South Florida is not cheap in any way. You heard plenty of people tell it like it is. When people speak of the South being cheaper, they're not talking about South Florida. Parts of Central and North Florida, maybe. But not So. Fla...

No degree, no trade/no profession, no business or business plan...spells poverty in Florida. Almost anywhere without one of these = tougher financial hardships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyanus View Post
october-apr. you have your heat on. We get those stray "teaser" days. But, we get 3 good months a year. We actually had a pretty damn mild winter this year. I got the heat on as we speak. Let's see 40's at night thursday, 30's on friday. I am 160 pounds 5'10 though so i get cold easy. I cant go outside and ride my bike today (comfortably) cause its in the 40's now. Like I said, not too many people here are in shape. You want to talk about high prices! Look at the stats where NY is on taxes. Thats right at the top! A guy I worked with just moved to daytona and bought a house around 50k and is paying around 600 for taxes. I know it all depends on area , size, etc. But like i said in NY you are screwed if you have a $10 /hour job and a family. Look at what I make. I cant even afford a car! Im not good with money. I'm trying to fix that now.But cost of living is much cheaper down south from what everybody says. Lets say my monthly bills are 16-1700 . If i added a car payment to that 2000 per month . If i bring home 4 or 500 per week I'm screwed. Everbody lives off the O.T. here! So, your screwed no matter what you make or where you live! Like they say....the more you make, the more you spend.
Maybe Upstate NY they're not healthy, but in the city people walk a lot and take public transportation and it keeps them in shape. I will agree that NY is a killer on taxes, (except the 5 boroughs, property taxes there aren't as bad. Actually cheaper than FL). Going out on Long Island or Westchester is where you'll get hit. My parents pay less taxes on their Brooklyn Heights brownstone which is valued at least 3-4 times their South Fla homes.

You also stated something important about yourself. You're not good with money. That's your problem right there. With what you make, taxes or not, you can live relatively comfortably. IIRC, you stated you were single, had no kids, no car note (which is a smart move). You're the sole bread winner, but you don't have anyone else to share the bread with. You can live comfortably with the money you make in Central or Upstate NY. Even living modestly in the outer-boroughs of NYC, $60k is decent. As long as you have no college loans, credit cards, kids, car notes, hefty mortgage etc. You should be fine.

If I were you, I'd look into saving to travel more, especially during the winter. Go to the Caribbean Islands, a few fun cruises, Central and South America, even South Florida. The point is to enjoy yourself. I'm not sure if you have a mortgage or not, but enjoy other aspects of your life. The last thing I want to see is another person who was doing well enough in the Northeast to go to South Florida and complain 6 months later, wishing people warned him. With all due respect, you seem hard headed.You will do what it is you want to do at the end. However, do what makes sense for you. Don't get emotionally caught up with the sunshine and the beaches. When you have no money to pay for a comfortable lifestyle, you'll be dreaming of having money even in a cold Central NY weather.

I'm in town again, in South Florida. (I was at Homestead Motorsports Complex a few hrs ago. Yes, in the rain ). I had fun, and leaving tomorrow afternoon. Ever since I left Florida, I've been coming to enjoy certain aspects of it. Do I want to move back? HELL NO!! I make enough money to enjoy trips to South Florida when I want to. Florida is not going anywhere.

I live in Atlanta, where things are working out well for my family and I (For us, quality of life is way better hands down). I wouldn't trade the few cool/cold months of GA for the Florida Sunshine and the negativity that I don't want to deal with for anything in the world. Take a few lessons from my book if you want.

Best of Luck! Do the wise thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area