Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateway142 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Our intention was to rent in Heron Bay, bc I would like my boys to attend Heron Heights, even though it will be for only one year. I love the amenities in Heron Bay and the fact that there are so many homes. Makes it easier to make friends when you are moving from out of state. A friend of mine mentioned W Boca...and while I've heard mixed reviews and never considered it for that reason...I wanted to check it out and cover all bases. I also like Parkland bc it is newer than W Boca. I'm actually at the airport headed to FL. We are going to take a look at W Boca just so that we can feel confident with our choice of Parkland. Ultimately my husbands dream is to buy in Parkland Golf and Country so we will see. This is definitely a hard decision. So many options...which is another reason I lean toward Parkland - one middle and one HS...no decisions!!!
why West Boca and not Central Boca? because it wont be a fair comparision trust me...We thought about sending our Daughter to Stoneman Douglas High we know some kids there..Just so you know Parkland Visually is much nicer than West Boca...My dd's old cheer coach lives in the Parkland Golf and Country Club...I love to read Parent Feedback on Greatschools.net
as I have found some of them to be very accurate check out Stoneman Douglas for the reviews and if your considering Boca and choose not to look West, you can check out Omni Middle School and Spanish River HS...We are very happy in both schools
good luck

Last edited by Swimmom32; 05-17-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM

74 posts, read 129,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
why West Boca and not Central Boca? because it wont be a fair comparision trust me...We thought about sending our Daughter to Stoneman Douglas High we know some kids there..Just so you know Parkland Visually is much nicer than West Boca...My dd's old cheer coach lives in the Parkland Golf and Country Club...I love to read Parent Feedback on Greatschools.net
as I have found some of them to be very accurate check out Stoneman Douglas for the reviews and if your considering Boca and choose not to look West, you can check out Omni Middle School and Spanish River HS...We are very happy in both schools
good luck
did not realize you could send a child to Stoneman Douglas High if your residence is not zoned for that district

Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
did not realize you could send a child to Stoneman Douglas High if your residence is not zoned for that district
You Cant..We were looking in Heron Bay in 2009 when we were moving here and then again after leaving West Boca before moving to where we live now in boca..

Old 05-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
I also stated in my post the 2 schools in boca where my children attend....and it didnt say parkland

Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,837 times
i grew up in parkland (heron bay). i attended westglades and douglas high. what i have experienced are alot of children into drugs due to the fact the parents are working long hours and never home. the kids there are materialistic, superficial and rebellious. it is a very wealthy area so kids would throw house parties in mansions along holmberg rd when parents are on business trips, 16 yr olds with nose jobs/boob jobs, 1st vehicles at age 16 were bmws. i dont like that most children there are all about money and style vs what lifes really about. i honeslty view parkland as the jersey shore tv show. i dotn know about the schools in boca but i have heard they are similar to parkland.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,298 times
I am looking into relocating too - Now living in Chicago but originally form France. We moved to wet boca last year and sent our kids to public schools in west boca - it was a total disaster and decided to move back to Chicago
However we have to make to move back as my husband job is definitely in Boca - i have heard a lot of good things about Parkland - what did you decide on?
Please help

Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
What didn't you like about Boca?

Parkland is a great place, even better if your husband's job is in Boca - easy commute.

Do you have some reservations about Parkland?

P.S. Weston is also a very nice town. My old neighbor commutes from Weston to Boca. It's a bit too long, but he is OK with it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,194 times
We live in Washington DC and are looking to relocate to South Florida. We love Parkland, but have only heard negative things about Douglas High School. They say Boca has better high Schools, specifically West Boca and Spanish River High. Has anyone heard anything different?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarpaso View Post
We live in Washington DC and are looking to relocate to South Florida. We love Parkland, but have only heard negative things about Douglas High School. They say Boca has better high Schools, specifically West Boca and Spanish River High. Has anyone heard anything different?
We have experience with West Boca HS and was very unhappy with the school so we moved into the Spanish River district and are very happy with the school/Spanish River....my son Graduated Early and our Daughter will attend River as well....

Good Luck

Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof367 View Post
i grew up in parkland (heron bay). i attended westglades and douglas high. what i have experienced are alot of children into drugs due to the fact the parents are working long hours and never home. the kids there are materialistic, superficial and rebellious. it is a very wealthy area so kids would throw house parties in mansions along holmberg rd when parents are on business trips, 16 yr olds with nose jobs/boob jobs, 1st vehicles at age 16 were bmws. i dont like that most children there are all about money and style vs what lifes really about. i honeslty view parkland as the jersey shore tv show. i dotn know about the schools in boca but i have heard they are similar to parkland.
Coincidentally you just described growing up in Boca in the 80's!

Saw my first pound of marijuana in the parking lot of St Andrews school on Jog Rd! It was in the trunk of a kid's BMW 750il (Dad's car). Poor kids were scraping together to buy an 1/8, this kid got a pound!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area