Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 AM

10 posts, read 33,783 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Ft. lauderdale for 34 years, my grandchildren and daughter live in rockland county, New York I just became retired, it is pheasable for me to move closer to them at this age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,257,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmy127 View Post
I have lived in Ft. lauderdale for 34 years, my grandchildren and daughter live in rockland county, New York I just became retired, it is pheasable for me to move closer to them at this age?
I think as we get older, it is good to be around our families. I am 64, retired and my son and his wife are about 5 min. from where we live. My sister lives up the hill from us with her husband and family and even if I don't see them that often, it is comforting to know they are around. New York is a great place to live. Is Rockland County in upper state New York or closer to the city? Upstate New York is very much like Maine in places, I do know that much. I am in Connecticut kind of in the Country and it is gorgeous here. If you can tolerate the colder weather then by all means live closer to your family, you will love it. Good Luck.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,204,881 times
I don't know how old you are...but I live in Rockland-NY and I can not recommend it...rents are not cheap and housing is not either...tell me what part of Rockland you are thinking of and I'll give you the real scoop...

Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 AM

2,956 posts, read 4,971,186 times
If you can afford it and If you think you will be able to adjust to the climate, sure, why not. Make sure you have a back-up plan just in case it proves to be more than you expected.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. I just miss them so much, but, don't know where to start. Would have to sell my condo in ft lauderdale and you know how the market is now. And could I take the weather so cold.

thanks again

Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 AM

thanks for the reply, My daughter lives in Tappan, new york, near orangeburg. I am a young 64 years old!! I don't want to go to a assisted living or anything like that. I would have to sell my condo in Tamarac and you know how the market is today!!! I don't even know where to start.

thanks again

Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the reply, it's just so much to think about, climate, moving back after 34 years.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,380,962 times
Not sure how often you get there to visit but next time you're there, would look at apartments or condo's and do the #'s, I think you'll find it very expensive and you may be better off staying where you are and enjoying visits back and forth, and of course getting used to snow and cold weather won't be easy either esp. when you're a senior, it can be done but you have to really weigh the pro's and con's and then decide, a lot depends on the #'s imo.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,204,881 times
Tappan is actually in the Town Orangeburg...a really nice area...unfortunately because of it's closeness to NYC it is a highly sort after area...try this web site if you want to look for a rental...condo...apartment...etc... trulia.com it will give you an idea of what to expect price wise... www.trulia.com

Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,709,945 times
Ask yourself if you would live in Rockland County if your daughter was not there. Nothing in life is certain. You may live another 30 years. Children only want to be around their grandparents when they're small. By the time they are 17-18, they may be off to college, to the military or off on their own. The world is a big place, they may land almost anywhere for schooling, a job, marriage, etc.

Jobs are not secure today, nor are marriages. They is no guarantee your daughter will remain in Rockland for the next 30 years.

So ask yourself it you're willing to follow her around the country as long as you're physically able to , And when you're not, Then what?

Think carefully about this. If you have a life, friends, activities, etc. and you're happy where you are now, then staying put may be best and simply traveling north a couple of times a year. Don't uproot yourself for something that may not be a sure thing for the rest of your life unless you really see yourself living in Rockland alone if your daughter's circumstances change. I know to many people who moved to be near kids, only to have the kids move a few years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area