Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,037 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Lauderdale Lakes (Broward County) and we need to know what are the better Public and Public charter elementary schools in that area within a 10 mile radius. We're temporarily staying in Lauderdale Lakes, but don't plan on being there indefinitely. Anyone have personal experience sending their kids to schools in the Fort Lauderdale/Lauderdale Lakes area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 AM

351 posts, read 1,126,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myerswife View Post
My family is moving to Lauderdale Lakes (Broward County) and we need to know what are the better Public and Public charter elementary schools in that area within a 10 mile radius. We're temporarily staying in Lauderdale Lakes, but don't plan on being there indefinitely. Anyone have personal experience sending their kids to schools in the Fort Lauderdale/Lauderdale Lakes area?
Lauderdale Lakes is probably one of the poorest areas of Broward. The schools are not up to par there. I'd urge you to find a different neighborhood to live so that you do not have to enroll your children there.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 AM

We figured that out from the research we've been doing. Temporarily staying there means less than a month. We've called the school district and they said once we have our child registered at a broward school, we can try to transfer her to a better one. Any suggestions on some better ones outside of that area? Did they give us accurate information on being able to send her to schools outside of our district?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM

166 posts, read 384,295 times
Coral Springs. No my wife is a teacher and you cannot enroll outside of your residence.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 14,885 times
School zoning is strictly observed in FL. It was much easier to get a varience in NY... You will need a specific address to register your child and it would be at a school this address is zoned for. When the school board answered your question I am sure they meant just that - you move to a new address - you can switch the school. 10 years ago we chose Coral Springs/Parkland to be in a better school area. Other cities with high rated schools: Cooper City, Weston, Boca Raton. There is a great charter high school in Pompano. Another option - private schools - Pinecrest is fantastic. Hope this is helpfull.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 49,174 times
VSY Elementary is in Ft Lauderdale downtown, excellent Blue Ribbon school with Montessori system, they have lottery so you have a chance to get into even if you leave outside of school boundaries.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,580 times
If a Broward County School has failed to make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for three years, you can ask to be reassigned to another school and they have to find a place for you. However, you choose from a list of available schools and you are not guaranteed your first choice. I don't think the list includes the best schools in Broward because those tend to be at or above capacity. The list changes every year, based on changing enrollment numbers of the receiving schools. I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet that any school in Lauderdale Lakes has failed to make AYP so all students are eligible to transfer out, if their parents what to pursue this option.

While I'm not a huge fan of charter schools, if my choice were between a Lauderdale Lakes school and just about any charter school, I'd choose the charter one. The problem is that the best ones have huge waiting lists. I'd try Broward Community Charter, Renaissance Charter (new), and Imagine at Coral Springs but avoid like the plague Imagine Charter in North Lauderdale.

Magnet programs are another option. Ignore the deadlines they post and call the school directly to ask the magnet coordinator about getting your child in.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks so much for all your responses. We move at the end of July. I hope that's more than enough time to figure this out. Keep the suggestions coming. We'll definitely need all the help we can get. A good education is not a miss I want on my record as a mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area