Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 12:57 AM

367 posts, read 935,200 times

Advertisements

I saw a nice property in this city today but the city seemed so dead to me. It's so quiet and boring. Is my impression of Margate incorrect or correct? What is there to do in Margate? And how is the commute to Northern Miami-Dade, Fort Lauderdale, and Boca Raton during rush hr out of Margate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,421,605 times
Your impression is spot on. Margate is mainly a mix of retirement communities, mobile home parks, and older 50's style ranchers. It is not a very affluent area, but is not really bad either. What is there to do in Margate? Nothing. Maybe go to Winn-Dixie? You will have to travel outside of Margate to find things to do.

To get to northern MDC, you would jump on the Turnpike and go south about 20 minutes and you'll be there.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,801,950 times
Margate is ok. There isn't much to do in Margate but it is close to Fort Lauderdale and access to Miami is pretty easy via the Turnpike. There are lots of older homes and retirement communities. It isn't beautiful but it's not awful either. If you find a house you like in a neighborhood you like Margate could work.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,920 times
Default Margate!

i love Ft Lauderdale, FL!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM

37 posts, read 129,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
I saw a nice property in this city today but the city seemed so dead to me. It's so quiet and boring. Is my impression of Margate incorrect or correct? What is there to do in Margate? And how is the commute to Northern Miami-Dade, Fort Lauderdale, and Boca Raton during rush hr out of Margate?
Margate? Nothing that makes it stand out. It's just...there. Not too particularly good or bad compared to other cities, but probably the benchmark to determine if any other city is better off, or worse off.

It's just another part of the massive stretch of urban sprawl that is the South Florida metropolitan area, which happens to have borders drawn around that particular division of land...Like most other cities between the latitudes of Lake Okeechobee and Key Largo along the east coast.

Rush hour? Either leave before 7am, or wait until after 8. One bad tie-up on either the Turnpike or I-95, whichever you take, will have you scrambling for surface streets and still assuredly be late.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
I know this thread is old but Margate has a lot to do. Sounds at Sundown is a live music event with food trucks, there's movies in the park, and adult swim (so adults can use the slides too, lol). There's parades and fairs. There are also a lot of oppotunities to get involved in the community like joining CERT or going through Margate Community College.

If you aren't involved or just go to work and come home than yes you'll never know what's going on. The city hosts a lot of free events including a Margate day with bounce houses, food, entertainment, and an exhibition area.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM

3,142 posts, read 3,092,081 times
Margate has a what I think is a very nice development, The Carolina Club -- I've attended a few events at the restaurant there, McDivot's, and was impressed with the homes in that area. I do not golf, but the golf course looked nice too. I just did a quick search and saw that the homes are competitively priced compared to much of West Broward. I would suspect you'd have an easy commute if driving to west Boca or the western edges of Fort Lauderdale -- the east side, not so much. And yes, I agree that if you're driving to northern Dade, take the turnpike. Good luck with your search!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 25,776 times
Margate is one of the cities in Ft.Lauderdale, but it is a quiet living area after a hard days work to come home to. Every part of Ft. Lauderdale is within close proximity to everything else. The city of Ft. Lauderdale allows you to live in peace and go to the beach or hang out at your favorite spots without disrupting anyone's privacy, but Miami and all the hang out spots are not far away like other states, there is so much to do you just need to make friends who will show you your kind of spots. The beach at night on East A1A is just as busy and all night just like South Beach and rocks till daylight, there are many great churches there too. Florida is a retirement state where people who like a quieter lifestyle can find peaceful places and homes to enjoy, the state really looks out for people. The more you get to know it is the more you will find that there is so much there that is free and so close to nature to enjoy without spending a penny! And the dressing is more relaxed and layed back. You can make it what you want it just try to stay clean and live upright!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area