Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 13,659 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Ft. Lauderdale in August and I've finally decided it's time to find a place to live. I'm almost out of college and will be working very near the executive airport. I'm dealing with a realtor but I want to make sure that I'm not being limited in my search.

Where should I be looking for apartments/condos? Here's some information that might help: I can pay up to $1500/mo in rent. I'm single. I'd like to live near work (executive airport), but that's a very minor preference.

My realtor has recommended Palm Aire and Cypress Bend. The rents on the units she's sent me seem oddly low based on my own shopping around on apartments.com which makes me worried. She's with Power South Realty, if that helps.

Thanks, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
It depends on if you're looking for private condos or rental communities. If you're looking at rental communities, then you don't need a realtor. You can just look on sites like Rent.com, find a place you like, and visit the leasing office. However, your options will be limited to rental communities. If you want a privately owned condo, you really should get a realtor to show you around because otherwise, you're at the mercy of craigslist which is a crapshoot.

I also think you should expand your searching to other areas. The area you mentioned- Palm Aire and Cypress Bend, are very sketchy areas. The neighborhoods themselves aren't bad, but the surrounding areas range from seedy to dangerous. If your budget is $1500, I would look further east, east of US1 or possibly on the beach. You can find nice, safe condos in those areas for under $1500. There is also way more stuff to do and good shopping on the US1 corridor and you're much closer to the beach.

There is one rental community I know of that you may want to consider. Its called Port Royale located on US1 due east of the Executive Airport. Port Royale apartments are small, but very affordable for the area and decent. Its all young people in that community.

You could also look further west in areas such as Coconut Creek or Coral Springs, but you'll be further away from work and its more of a suburban family atmosphere.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Are there significant differences between rental communities and privately owned condos?

Also, has anyone heard good/bad things about the Exchange Lofts?

Last edited by jahabrewer; 06-07-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 PM

351 posts, read 1,127,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahabrewer View Post
Are there significant differences between rental communities and privately owned condos?

Also, has anyone heard good/bad things about the Exchange Lofts?
Privately owned condos will generally be better because they are less transient and better maintained. Look for buildings that were not apartment communities later converted to condos.
With your budget (and depending on whether you have pets, and preferences) you can find a nice place in condo building further east along the ocean or Intercoastal. If you live around Coral Ridge or Galt Mile, your commute to Executive will be fine.

The Exchange Lofts are in downtown Fort Laud, which would be further for your commute. The building looks nice but the neighborhood right around there seems kind of desolate at night. But if you like a loft style building, they could be suitable.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

New thing: I'm flying down to see a few places next weekend. Right now I'm looking at AMLI Flagler Village, Camden Las Olas, and The Exchange Lofts (also looking at Sunrise Harbor, but probably can't afford it). I'll be seeing a few units with my realtor as well. Do you guys have any recommendations for places to check out while I'm down there?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
The Flagler Village one starts at $1620.00. Port Royale starts at $950.00 and tops out at $1325.00 and probably will offer better views, is east, and close to your work. It's an older complex, but it always gets good reviews. It is in a better location that any of the ones you mentioned, too. I always thought it was a scam to build lofts in crappy neighborhoods and charge top dollar for them.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM

143 posts, read 471,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
The Flagler Village one starts at $1620.00. Port Royale starts at $950.00 and tops out at $1325.00 and probably will offer better views, is east, and close to your work. It's an older complex, but it always gets good reviews. It is in a better location that any of the ones you mentioned, too. I always thought it was a scam to build lofts in crappy neighborhoods and charge top dollar for them.

I agree, make sure you look around at where you will be doing food shopping, quick restaurants, ect....you want to be safe...well, at least that would be my number one concern...I lived downtown Ft Lauderdale for a few years before starting a family an loved it...just make sure you feel safe in your surroundings. I had a lot of friends that lived at Port Royale, great location and lots of young people...good luck!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 AM

I looked at Port Royale (on the internet) and liked it, but I was a little put off by the reviews here:

http://plus.google.com/1048309712807...58/about?hl=en

I guess most people who have a fine time there don't bother to go online and say so. I'll add it to my list. Any others?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
The first review was positive. As to "bugs", this is a sub tropical environment. The bugs can be kept at bay, but not totally eliminated. It's not a big deal. There are plenty of lizards running around to eat them up.

My dealings with realtors has been that they show you three properties, then pressure you to decide on one. The rent always seems higher when negotiated through a realtor, so I took my search to private owners of small properties and was very satisfied.

Why not get a short term rental and take some time to find somewhere you will be satisfied with? There are extended stay places you can lease for a month at a time. Once you've figured the area out, you can make a better choice as to a long term rental.

Here is one very close to your work:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Florida.html

Last edited by fkostas; 06-09-2012 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
The rent always seems higher when negotiated through a realtor, so I took my search to private owners of small properties and was very satisfied.
How do you find private owners? Would it mostly be looking for For Rent signs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area