Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM

38 posts, read 102,391 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are moving down from boston this fall to the Fort Lauderdale area. We're two straight guys in our mid 20's. I've lived in pompano beach for 2 years so i know the area, but not really the residential neighborhoods.

We're ideally looking for a small house, preferably with a pool. Otherwise, we could always resort to living in an apartment/condo.

We both like to party hard on the weekends. I might attent FAU for grad school so i dont mind moving north a little but I absolutely hate boca, plus i want to be close to the city and the central beach area.

For neighborhoods, what would you recommend?

So far my friends who live down there have mentioned Sailboat Bend and Victoria Park. I dont know much about either neighborhood but we want to spend from $1400 to $1700.

Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM

104 posts, read 229,049 times
Your budget will get you a 2/2 apartment in most of Ft Lauderdale, and possibly a 2/1 house with a pool. I live in a good neighborhood close to the beach, and noticed a 2/1 apt for rent down the street for $1100.00, but no pool. You'll easily find what you need in a decent area with your budget.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkostas View Post
Your budget will get you a 2/2 apartment in most of Ft Lauderdale, and possibly a 2/1 house with a pool. I live in a good neighborhood close to the beach, and noticed a 2/1 apt for rent down the street for $1100.00, but no pool. You'll easily find what you need in a decent area with your budget.
What neighborhood do you live in?

Like I said, I was told victoria park, sailboat bend, etc. We'd rather have a house than an apartment, but if we can be walking distance to beach place then an apartment is definitely a good option.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 PM

104 posts, read 229,049 times
I live in Poinsetta Heights. I could walk to Beach Place if I were so inclined, but it's a few miles. Really, once you go there a few times you'll get bored with it quickly. More of a tourist trap, IMO.

You won't find a house in your budget with a quick walk to the beach. A 2/1 in an older building maybe. Victoria Park may be out of your range for a house with a pool, and isn't a quick walk to the beach either. Sailboat Bend is farther from the beach, but a house with a pool is a good possibility there.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the help!

I looked online at places for 2 hours this afternoon (padmapper.com is awesome!) and I have come to the realization that it would probably be better and easier for us to get a 2/1 or 2/2 apartment or condo on a canal or the intracoastal with a sweet balcony and pool (smaller buildings preferred). Having worked at a condo in LBTS I think its an absolute pain in the ass to deal with traffic getting to and from I-95 as well as dealing with the ****ing drawbridges, so I'm steering away from the A1A choices, unless the condo is near a major east-west road, as with Galt Mile.

I'm not moving there until November so I wont start looking until September at the earliest. It's just too addicting to look at places. My opinions and ideas keep changing with more research done. I'm flying down again before I move and I want to be spot on with my search.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty six & two View Post
Thanks for the help!

I looked online at places for 2 hours this afternoon (padmapper.com is awesome!) and I have come to the realization that it would probably be better and easier for us to get a 2/1 or 2/2 apartment or condo on a canal or the intracoastal with a sweet balcony and pool (smaller buildings preferred). Having worked at a condo in LBTS I think its an absolute pain in the ass to deal with traffic getting to and from I-95 as well as dealing with the ****ing drawbridges, so I'm steering away from the A1A choices, unless the condo is near a major east-west road, as with Galt Mile.

I'm not moving there until November so I wont start looking until September at the earliest. It's just too addicting to look at places. My opinions and ideas keep changing with more research done. I'm flying down again before I move and I want to be spot on with my search.
I'd definitely look into some of the Galt Mile options if I were you. My friend has a big apartment in Galt Towers, her rent is consistent with your price range. It is a two bedroom with a split plan that would be optimal for a roommate situation. The building actually seems to have a pretty large amount of younger people, and it's a quick walk or bike to fun restaurants and bars nearby in LBTS.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
The problem with Fort Lauderdale is that most of the nightlife gets boring quickly. Beach Place I got bored of after the first few times and haven't been back much since. Downtown has more options but it also has its limitations. If it were me, I'd opt for downtown in the Las Olas area because there are more condos to chose from and you're still not that far from the beach. I would check out Alexan Solmar and Flagler Village.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The problem with Fort Lauderdale is that most of the nightlife gets boring quickly.
true. people that move to ft lauderdale that are professional party types, the legit players, shady money guys and those that are all about the nightlife get tired of lauderdale really fast. its just too limited and is the minor leagues. Many of these types move to south beach pretty quickly or move on to places like Vegas, LA or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area