U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM

352 posts, read 576,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Ha, did he miss the real estate collapse that occurred in 2007-2008?
It's possible. We are all so well-versed in the real estate collapse, but in Texas they really did not see that much of a drop.

In any case, it is a good time for the OP to be buying but the deals are not as great as two years ago. Prices have actually been rising in the more desirable family areas like Weston.

Davie also has some good family neighborhoods in the price range you mentioned and is a closer commute that Parkland (it's near Cooper City).

Also, if you like more of a yard, Southwest Ranches and Davie have acreage properties in your general price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 PM

109 posts, read 94,493 times
The public schools in Broward with good football programs are unfortunately in less-affluent areas with less desirable academics (although several do have magnet programs within the schools). You can look at college recruitment reports and you'll see the names - Dillard, Ely, Boyd Anderson. The western suburbs have good schools but the sports, eh, not so much. Certainly not anything close to Texas-level interest! (I get all my information on Texas HS football from Friday Night Lights, though )

One other option if you are open to it and your son is really interested in football would be St. Thomas Aquinas - it is a private Catholic high school located in the middle of the county on Davie Blvd - it has one of the best football programs in the state (and has for years) although their longtime coach is recently gone. It also has excellent academics and a great reputation - children attend from all over the county.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 PM

352 posts, read 576,899 times
Florida's Top 10 most consistent high school football programs - MaxPreps News

MaxPreps.com rankings on Florida prep football programs linked above, with STA info. One of my coworkers attended STA and has nothing but good things to say.

If your son ends up at STA, good places to live relatively nearby are Eastern Plantation and the nicer, HOA areas of Davie. Those two areas would make for a fairly quick commute to the Sawgrass office parks

Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 PM

194 posts, read 238,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco to Florida View Post
Bummer to hear about the education and kids sports. Wasn't expecting it to be exactly the same as North Dallas, but was hoping we could find an area that was close. Thanks for the advice! Did you like Texas better than Florida?
No I dont like Texas better. I prefer Florida mainly because we are so use to living so close to the beach, weather and activities, its kinda boring here compared to all the things we did in Fl. Everything here seems so far but we live in Highland Village and I know Frisco/Plano is more built up. However I LOVE the hospitality here, everyone just seems so friendly, I love there isnt so much ghetto, I do think its a better place to raise the kids as far as environment, housing/school. Sfl is just way different, theres a lot to do there, we miss it so much cant wait to head back.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 PM

101 posts, read 151,939 times
Great thread...it helps those of us moving too and who are in similar situations...so many choices and when you have kids and moving from another state - you want to get it right or close to right so as not to move again...

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM

166 posts, read 187,203 times
Quote:
Sorry, my question came out wrong...... meant something else entirely. I see a few homes in Heron Bay that are going for much less than similar sized homes in the community. Seems to be some deals in Heron Bay that are too good to be true relative to today's market. The market in Parkland seems to have bounced back a bit since the crash....but some listings are still really low. Can't figure out if it is financial distress or something seriously wrong with the home (mold, drywall, etc.).

Unfortunately, Weston doesn't seem to have many of those "deals".

Thanks to all for the replies so far! It helps.
Hello, I've lived and worked in Parkland since 1987 and raised 2 boys in the public schools here, also my wife teaches at MSD. Our really good friend Katherine Niesman is now a realtor in North Dallas after moving from Dallas to Parkland and back to Dallas so she is a good person to speak to. I can say that the high school football programs here aren't as elaborate as in Dallas for sure (after seeing the movie..Ha!) ! I'm not sure where you are seeing homes in Heron Bay under the market as most homes are selling there quickly and there are no more chinese drywall homes there, all sold months ago. Forbes magazine rated the schools in Parkland #1 in the US in your price range and my wife and boys (CPA,attorney) can certainly attest to MSDs standards as an AP teacher. Parkland went up in value last year over 3 percent, a little higher than Weston which also has good schools.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Location: Wellington, FL Palm Beach County & Sonoma County California 2015
1,987 posts, read 3,014,918 times
$500K for a house down here is not "Cheap" with the average salaries here that's way over what the average wage earner can afford. Don't forget to check the tax bill and insurance rates, which will be very expensive. During the boom, people were paying $750K for homes worth only $300K in reality.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 402 times
If you are in Sawgrass/Sunrise you DEF need to be in Weston! Our son lived here 10 years ago & we moved here in Dec '11. The schools are fantastic...the real estate the most stable in SOFL. Their vales have held far better than the rest of SOFL or for that matter, Fl in total. Sawgrass is a short 5-8 min commute. There are beautiful developments and not as cookie cutter as stated. SouthWest Ranches is right there too and the area is AWESOME! Equestrian Heaven!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM

3,439 posts, read 4,546,941 times
Quote:
Any reason for Coral Springs over Cooper City?
While there are pockets of Coral Springs that aren't great, overall the homes in Cooper City are older - just personal preference - there is a bit of a toss up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area