Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
All 3 are very nice -- if I lived in Hawk's Landing, I would not want a lot next to I-595 though. I know there is a barrier wall to break the sound but I wouldn't like the idea of living next to a busy interstate, nor the view.
I like Plantation Acres better than Hawks Landing because in HL you are bordered by I-595, Hiatus, Nob Hill, Broward Blvd, all busy roads (Hiatus less). When I looked at houses there the houses were gorgeous but almost all of the houses I looked at were noisy outdoors. I also did not like the small lots. However, if the OP wants a gated community Plantation Acres will not work as it is not gated.

I do really like living in Plantation though and I think it is a better location than Parkland or Weston. It is centrally located for local shopping. It's close to Sawgrass Mills, Broward Mall and any shopping you need. It takes only a few minutes to get to Fort Lauderdale and access to the highways for longer travel is very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatofll View Post
To anyone unfamiliar with that it sounds like a throwback to the "good ol' times" of slavery.
Only if your mind is set up to acutely interpret things.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 PM

17 posts, read 47,151 times
I like Weston the most.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 16,907 times
I have lived in Coral Springs my whole life and I suggest between your listed options, I would go Parkland, Weston, (North) Coral Springs, Plantation.

The schools in Coral Springs aren't what they used to be. Elementary schools tend to all be okay but middle and high school is where things go bad. I went to high school at Taravella and while there is still a solid group of high-achieving, AP-level students, the majority of the school's students are pretty crappy. I would never even consider attending Coral Glades or Coral Springs High.

Stoneman Douglas is zoned for North Coral Springs and Parkland and is definitely the best public school in the area.

In terms of sports, coral springs has a pretty solid youth sports program for all kinds of sports, and living in Parkland you will be only a 5-10 minute drive away. A lot of my friends growing up played hockey, baseball, football, soccer, or basketball in the well-established programs in coral springs. I think even lacrosse is starting to get big down here.

I think the average neighborhood in Weston is a lot nicer than the average neighborhood in Coral Springs, which is why I rank Weston higher, but Parkland, I believe, is the nicest area of them all.

I wouldn't even consider Plantation, but that's just me.

There's also very nice neighborhoods in Parkland other than Heron Bay...that's just the biggest one really.

Parkland > Weston > North Coral Springs > Plantation

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 16,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

I do really like living in Plantation though and I think it is a better location than Parkland or Weston. It is centrally located for local shopping. It's close to Sawgrass Mills, Broward Mall and any shopping you need. It takes only a few minutes to get to Fort Lauderdale and access to the highways for longer travel is very convenient.
If you live in Parkland you'll only be about 2 minutes from either the Coral Ridge or University entrances to the Sawgrass Expressway, which will put you at Sawgrass Mills in 10 minutes (15 max!), and gets you to downtown Ft. Lauderdale in 25 mins or so. You can also get to Boca Raton town center in around 15-20 mins. While it's not as physically close to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami as Plantation, it's not inconvenient by any means.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1091 View Post
I have lived in Coral Springs my whole life and I suggest between your listed options, I would go Parkland, Weston, (North) Coral Springs, Plantation.

The schools in Coral Springs aren't what they used to be. Elementary schools tend to all be okay but middle and high school is where things go bad. I went to high school at Taravella and while there is still a solid group of high-achieving, AP-level students, the majority of the school's students are pretty crappy. I would never even consider attending Coral Glades or Coral Springs High.

Stoneman Douglas is zoned for North Coral Springs and Parkland and is definitely the best public school in the area.

In terms of sports, coral springs has a pretty solid youth sports program for all kinds of sports, and living in Parkland you will be only a 5-10 minute drive away. A lot of my friends growing up played hockey, baseball, football, soccer, or basketball in the well-established programs in coral springs. I think even lacrosse is starting to get big down here.

I think the average neighborhood in Weston is a lot nicer than the average neighborhood in Coral Springs, which is why I rank Weston higher, but Parkland, I believe, is the nicest area of them all.

I wouldn't even consider Plantation, but that's just me.

There's also very nice neighborhoods in Parkland other than Heron Bay...that's just the biggest one really.

Parkland > Weston > North Coral Springs > Plantation
Maybe you don't read well but the OP said schools are not an issue as the kids will be in private school. If it were me I would figure out which private school the kids would be attending and choose a home accordingly. If the kids wind up in North Broward then Parkland. If they wind up in Pinecrest, Plantation. If they wind up in University School, or American Heritage either Plantation or Weston. If they wind up at Sagemont, Weston.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1091 View Post
If you live in Parkland you'll only be about 2 minutes from either the Coral Ridge or University entrances to the Sawgrass Expressway, which will put you at Sawgrass Mills in 10 minutes (15 max!), and gets you to downtown Ft. Lauderdale in 25 mins or so. You can also get to Boca Raton town center in around 15-20 mins. While it's not as physically close to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami as Plantation, it's not inconvenient by any means.
I think it's an inconvenient location. Parkland is nice, but it's tucked away far from everything.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM

166 posts, read 384,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Grier View Post
Between Heron Bay in Parkland, Weston Hills in Weston, and Hawk's Landing in Plantation which would you go with? Money is no object and kids would be going to private school.
Although your kids would be going to private schools our real estate values are driven by which school district you live in so it is a major factor when buying in south Florida. So for the last 2 years Parkland and Weston are in a dead tie for the most increase in home values. It really depends on what your family likes to do as well. Weston is kind of isolated so for instance parks, restaurants, golf courses, and access to the beach is limited to Weston. Since Parkland sits on the Sawgrass we have people that work anywhere from Miami to West Palm Beach and Parkland has access to restaurants, malls, golf courses, etc. in Coral Springs and Boca Raton. If money is no object then there are a lot more options in Parkland than Heron Bay which has smaller lots and does not represent most of the communities in Parkland where large lots and privacy are why people come to Parkland.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhitchcock View Post
Weston is kind of isolated so for instance parks, restaurants, golf courses, and access to the beach is limited to Weston.
Weston is not isolated from parks, restaurants, golf courses or access to the beach. It is also easier to commute to Miami from Weston than Parkland.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
I totally agree mommabear. We have outstanding parks nearby, good restaurants, great medical, schools, and the list goes on.

It does matter where most of your daily life takes place vis a vis school, work, shopping, doctors, etc. both weston and parkland are well situated. For us living in weston with a straight shot to Fll makes it so convenient as well with MIA. We don't have children so schools don't factor in.

So it all depends on what is most comfortable and feels right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area