Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 PM

23,527 posts, read 69,942,587 times

Advertisements

I assume you would be renting. (I would have to think long and hard before buying in South FL again, what with the el nino / la nina pattern change and possible return to hurricane fun, plus the insurance hassles.)

Bluntly, unless Spanish is a second language for you, you will be happier in Fort L.. The restrictions in the suburbs are also becoming onerous enough that city life might be preferable, so a begrudgingly have to agree with you on that. I am far less than impressed with any of the south Florida public schools.

I'd say that overall, your plan has merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM

68 posts, read 132,536 times
Thank you very much. I feel better that some of my gut feelings have been confirmed. I am actually excited about the move now!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,427,118 times
30/40 minutes from where? The original poster will be commuting from downtown Fort Lauderdale/17th Street Causeway area to MIA area. You must take 95 south from there. There is no alternative route. The western routes, such as 75 to either the Turnpike or Palmetto, only work if you live in western suburbs. Otherwise, they are not useful for commuting from eastern areas. It all depends on where you live. Also, the commute the original poster is speaking of, from 17th Street Causeway to MIA airport area, takes every bit of 1 hour during peak rush hours. Some days are better than others. Some days you get lucky and get there under 1 hour, other days it can take 1.5 hours as there are often major accidents. 30/40 minutes is wildy optimistic. You might be able to do that during non-peak times, but not during rush hour.

As far as the western routes, lets say from Pembroke Pines on 75 to the Palmetto, is equally horrible. 75 moves quicker, but the Palmetto is the worst road in FL. It is always backed up for miles. I'm not sure why someone would think that is a superior route.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:09 PM

That is what I have heard about the Palmetto. That is why I was considering FLL. All of the areas in Miami that I have considered would require that I get on the Palmetto to get to work. There is literally no other way other than A1A. That is why I thought if it was going to be traffic one way or another, I would rather have a slightly longer commute and a nicer place when I got home!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM

36 posts, read 102,916 times
I work in the medical center which is very close to the airport. Most employees commute from Ft. Lauderdale, Homestead, Davie, a few even from West Palm Beach! The few that live in Miami come from Miami Beach. The previous post about flexible hours makes it work for many. I work 4 10 hour shifts so I'm on the road at 6am south (traffic is great) and 4pm north (traffic ok). I budget for the SunPass and take the HOV lane each way every day and it's worth it. Working in that area is enough for me to never want to live there despite the awful commute.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Thank you. That is really great information. i appreciate someone who is actually in the same situation. My hesitation about agreeing to this move ever has been living in Miami. While it is a fun place to visit, I am not sure I want to live there. I usually go to work at about 6:30 so that shouldnt be a problem. I guess I will just have to budget for the express lane coming home in the afternoons

Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM

The Express lanes are only 25 cents during off hours, but can exceed $5 during peak times. I personally refuse to pay that amount of money to use the Express lanes. If you can afford to waste $10 per day on the Express lanes, then go for it. They call them the Lexus lanes for a reason.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:00 AM

75 posts, read 174,527 times
The easiest way to do this is use the i95 express shuttle bus goes from fort lauderdale amtrack(broward blvd and i95) to downtown miami..brickell and biscayne...it takes 30 minutes one way no stops in between and uses the express lane.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,338,750 times
My sister-in-law does the commute every day from weston to univ of miami jackson. Her commute is BRUTAL. To avoid the insanity, she leaves the house at 6 and leaves miami at 7 or, when she can, at 3. She also does the rail from time to time.

If you are near the airport, you may have it a bit easier. You might look at Miramar or Pembroke pines.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalprotecthome View Post
That commute can really wear you down after a while. I've commuted from Davie to Coral Springs and Davie to Las Olas area, and even that can run an hour depending on traffic. Unless you're working odd hours, you might be able to get lucky with the highways--but then you could get caught spending a lot in tolls during peak traffic times. And if there's an accident on the 836...yikes! They are doing construction somewhere out that way and basically said the Palmetto is going to be a nightmare while that's underway.
The construction on the Palmetto is already underway at the interchange with 836. Traffic doesn't seem to be much worse than before construction began. I can tell you once it is completed, traffic will improve. Except we might have to wait 5 years for it to be completed!

They are also about to begin adding Express lanes to 95 in Southern Broward County. That is going to make commuting a nightmare for the next couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area