Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 PM

56 posts, read 125,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
A room for rent does not equal an apartment.
It's a room.
It is a place to stay, what is the difference?

In any case:

An entire house for $400.00:
FAMILY HOME

Efficiency $425:
Efficency for rent

Nice, 1BR, 1BA, $500
Nice 1 BR, 1 BA Condo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:01 PM

278 posts, read 467,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicemiller View Post

In any case:

FAMILY HOME

Efficiency $425:
Efficency for rent

Nice, 1BR, 1BA, $500
Nice 1 BR, 1 BA Condo
Honestly I would not touch something in the $400 range, I know from experience there is a story behind this sort of thing if it is even legit. Where are the pictures? If you look at something located far away from where the jobs are you can find an acceptable place for $600-650, but not far from downtrodden areas, and not close to nice areas with things to do, and then you throw that savings directly into your gas tank so you can sit in traffic getting to work.

Re: the pay scales, IMO they are lowballing on CareerBuilder etc. But the fact is that if you get started in a $14/hour job, do something you're good at, learn as much as you can, there is a way to gain some specialty skills and this is leverage. Playing your hand right should get you from $14 to $18 or $20, beyond that no guarantees. At $14 a frugal person can get by, and at $20 they can sort of live.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
In my experience SFL are in debt. Not all, but the people who work at average jobs, making okay money but want to live a decent lifestyle. Keeping up with the Joneses is so prevalent here and people will put themselves in great debt to do so.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 16,269 times
So when I read the current situation with the level of pay versus the cost of living in south Florida, things haven't changed going as far back as 1986. My wife and I lived in Tamarac near Colony West GC and at that time we could not figure how anyone could live on the wages the area was paying. We moved there because of work but after 3 years we could not save a dime and decided to move back north and when we did we doubles even tripled our wages within the same jobs (banking and healthcare management). I guess the awakening for us was when we would visit friends who bought the 3 bedroom homes and then could not afford a stick of furniture. There are clearly 2 classes of people in S. Florida those who have money and everyone else.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
there's tons of poverty in sofla and then u have miscellaneous wealth. the avg working stiffs in sofla are spinning their wheels and making nothing in comparison to other locations while the cost of living is thru the roof. if u want to work til the day u die to support your sofla pipe dream then go for it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:44 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicemiller View Post

In any case:

FAMILY HOME

Efficiency $425:
Efficency for rent

Nice, 1BR, 1BA, $500
Nice 1 BR, 1 BA Condo

ASK AND YOU SHALL GET...

Question asked....Question Answered....Rep points for you

Old 06-30-2017, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,382 times
The truth is you can't unless your meaning in life is struggle. I was recently called by a company to do a project in FLL and was asked what I felt was fair compensation. I was asked "Is that NC money, or FL money?" Huh? NC money......we're already beat up here enough. I just laughed it off and said "you can't afford me". They want skilled workers but wont pay. He called me back 3 mos later and offered me a little more. I acted like I didn't know him. My Brother lives in Los Olas Isles, makes +- 140K, and still calls for money. Live beneath your means. I live in the outer banks, make right a 100K, live waterfront and boat often. Its a short run into the triangle and they pay for skilled craft.

Last edited by cantusmellthatsmell; 06-30-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 12:23 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantusmellthatsmell View Post
The truth is you can't unless your meaning in life is struggle. I was recently called by a company to do a project in FLL and was asked what I felt was fair compensation. I was asked "Is that NC money, or FL money?" Huh? NC money......we're already beat up here enough. I just laughed it off and said "you can't afford me". They want skilled workers but wont pay. He called me back 3 mos later and offered me a little more. I acted like I didn't know him. My Brother lives in Los Olas Isles, makes +- 140K, and still calls for money. Live beneath your means. I live in the outer banks, make right a 100K, live waterfront and boat often. Its a short run into the triangle and they pay for skilled craft.
Cool story.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:18 AM
l22

30 posts, read 33,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Keeping up with the Joneses is so prevalent here and people will put themselves in great debt to do so.
This is so true. And to the original poster, you're not the only one who asked what you did in the initial post. First of all, living in South Fl year-round is about a million times different from just visiting as a tourist. For the people who live here year-round, there are essentially 'haves' and 'have-nots.' Unless you work a job that you would be paid well for anywhere due to having the skills and education most don't - i.e. Doctor, Dentist or something that just pays well anywhere, like UPS Driver or being a manager of a service business like Publix, etc., you are screwed here, unless you were lucky enough to be born really rich. And in my experience, those people often have the most distorted worldviews. South FL isn't normal. And if you're lucky enough to be well-off, you will still be affected by that lack of good jobs, horrible school systems, the uneducated people, drug/alcohol problems, etc. You can't be away from it when it's around you everywhere. If you move here, I'd just tell you, don't let South Florida change you and bring you down. It has a way of doing that to people once they come down here. If you don't let it get to you and you make enough money, it's decent.

Last edited by l22; 07-01-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 10:05 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
You have to remember housing wasn't always that crazy in South Florida. Even 20 years ago, you could buy a single family home for under $100k in decent areas.

Real Estate got insane around 2003-2007. But it got affordable again after the crash and lots of people got absolute steals buying foreclosures during 2009-2012.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area