Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 10,796 times

Advertisements

After 9 years of a relocation to Minneapolis from Pembroke Pines we are moving back to South Florida. We sold a house in Pembroke Falls. I will be looking for a short term 7 month lease so I can look around for houses. I really want to buy in Weston but may have blew my timing as it took me 3.5 years to sell my House in the Midewest and now proces are much higher.

I like the new Nexus Aprtments going up by the Bank Atlantic center but they will not be leasing until December and my lease up here is up at the end of September. So I will need to have something the first week of October. I have conisdered getting something month to month for two months and then when they are ready I can move into the Nexus. Not sure it is worth it for 7 months but they are new. I have created a short list and after reading all the bad reviews both here and on Apartmentratings.com I am confused.

I need a Ground floor 1BR, Garage, Dogs OK. Some I found have Garages and some don't.
Fairlake was on my shortlist as it looks like they have all been remodeled but I don't trust not having it gated and no garage and the reviews here are not favorable. Over and over I hear the crowd is not so good. And I don't need my vehicle broken into.

Here is so far what I have been looking at. Please chime in with any experiences or comments, Pro or Con to help me make a decision Or if I missed anything that you would suggest. Thanks so much.

Nexus a Sawgrass - Leasing Decmeber
Solero at Plantation - 1BR/Garage
Veranda at Plantation - 1BR Parking Garage
Water Terrace Sunrise - 1BR Remodeled
Shamrock at Sunrise - Gated entrance
Camden Plantation - 1BR/Garage
Palms at Sawgrass - 1BR/Garage
Colonades Residences Sawgrass - 1BR/Garage
St Andrews Weston
Weston place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
Water Terrace is is overpriced. The "upgraded" apartments are barely upgraded beyond the early '90's, and the rent is pretty high considering how seedy it is-Many of the tenants seem to be unable to grasp that the dumpster is used for putting garbage, in, not near. For as seedy as some of the tenants are, it doesn't seem to have much crime, just overpriced for what you get, which will not include a garage.

Short term, it should be fine. It is gated, but that doesn't keep non residents from piggybacking in. Parking is plentiful, it's pretty quiet at night, and Publix is right around the corner. The location is convienent, and traffic is pretty light.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks so much for the update. It is hard when you are not there to see for yourself. The funny thing is it is close to the lowest of the price from my list. Crime and safety is my biggest concern. I had to many cars broken into when I lived down their. And do not want to go through that again. As long as parking is not to congested and no on is breking into you apartment or cars I can deal with the rest.

I really want to be in the new complex by the Panther center called Nexus by Equity. I spoke to them today and they will allow a transfer to their new complex when it is ready in December-January for a 500.00 fee. So I can rent at any Equity property and then transfer. Unfortunately none of the units on my list are Equity! :-(
I would also have them try to wave the fee doubt it though.

Those that are Equity that I would consider are:

Gatehouse on the Green Plantaion
Midtown 24 Plantation $$$$$
Welleby Lake Club Apartments
The Wintston Apartments Pembroke Pines

This is so much harder then when I moved to Minneapolis since I bought a new Home. Plus I was here for work every other week so I could look around. I want to take my time looking for a house and also think we are in a temporary bubble and prices may drop again but who knows.

Thanks so much for the feedback much appreciated.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
Gatehouse on the Green in Plantation looks like a good bet. All of Plantation west is pretty decent to great. Property crime there isn't bad at all.

Midtown 24 would be ideal if you can afford it. Both areas are great, but the rent at Midtown will prohibit low income renters, and will ensure there is good security there.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks, I agree the Midtown property looks nice. It would be a bit more of a drive but only for a couple months.
I am driving to South Miami for work anyway so what difference does a few more miles make :-)

I have a call into Midtown to see if they have any availability. Still cheaper then putting everything in storage and getting an extended stay for a couple months. And this way I would have chopped a little away at the lease for the first couple of months.

Ultimately I want to buy again but this will give me time to look around.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
You could also rent a townhouse from an owner at the Courtyards at the Grove in Weston.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,205 times
Default weston florida

[URL="http://www.weston.tv/"]Weston Florida[/URL] is a planned of community in northwest Broward county. Which was ranked in 2008 by Money Magazine as one of the top 100 places to live in the US. It's a best place to live in the state of Florida. These city have A-rated schools and well-landscaped communities. Weston FL has a total area of approximately twenty-six square miles with nearly ten percent of that consisting of lakes and various waterways. If you want to know more [URL="http://www.weston.tv/"]Weston Florida[/URL] visit there site.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 AM

Default Final decision and Update

I decided to rent an apartment in Doral. The Palms of Doral. It had the bigger garage, full size washer and dryer, and half the distance to my work in South Miami. I will however be purchasing a home in Weston but for now this worked.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:20 AM

205 posts, read 241,572 times
have u looked at las olas? victoria park, rio vista? safe, clean but kinda pricy. cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area