U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM

138 posts, read 121,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieL View Post
See, I don't have that problem where I live. I live in a small apartment building east of US1 and south of Oakland Park Blvd. and everyone is very friendly here. I think it just depends... on what, I'm not sure. Luck, maybe?

I live in the exact same area as you. A lot probably has to do with the style of building and the backgrounds of the people who inhabit it. I plan on moving to a garden style condominium when my lease expires, and feel that a building like that probably breeds more intimacy between neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 AM

305 posts, read 400,554 times
When Im not at school I live in Deerfield Beach. its about 15 minutes north of Fort lauderdale. It is cheaper and more laid back. There are some affordable renting options near the coast. I dont know your budget though, so it is hard to say. It is a fairly young area and the beach is fantastic in my opinion. Nightlife is not really prominent, especially if you are younger. I usually go down to Fort Lauderdale, and once in awhile Miami (if Ive saved up some money).

There is some festivals during the year and the beach gets packed, but its fun. A lot of people are from the northeast and I guess at times people can seem cold, but I don't think about it too much. I have my own group of friends because I grew up in the area. Whatever your choice, I wish you luck.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM

107 posts, read 83,106 times
Dharma, you made an amazingly accurate assessment of the area in your time here. Hit the nail on the head. Have lived in Broward County my whole life except a decade in Gainesville, and don't recommend it for you based on what you are looking for. Don't recommend it for me, for that matter

Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 PM

104 posts, read 101,200 times
The sense of stress you are feeling is likely going to be the same in most parts of the country. The economy is in the crapper, and people are struggling to just get by. Once this long and miserable depression/recession ends, things will lighten up everywhere. I don't find Ft Lauderdale to be fast paced at all, but it depends on what you're used to.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 PM

34 posts, read 23,905 times
Ft. Lauderdale seemed a lot more relaxed than Miami... I always think of it as a midwestern get-away when I drive up there. I guess it's all relative.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM

20 posts, read 13,118 times
I live in West Miramar, and I have noticed incredible anger and hate like I have never witnessed in the twenty years I have lived here.I have had more people in the past month actually threaten to kill me in my neighborhood (a child ran to get a ball in a yard,) people cutting me off in school parking lots, and general meanness in neighborhood stores.The anger and tension seems to be more noticeable now than ever before.I suspect it is at least partially to do with the economy.I am unemployed at the moment and most likely these encounters are with others unemployed as well since most are happening in the middle of the working day.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:11 PM

138 posts, read 121,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellia10 View Post
I live in West Miramar, and I have noticed incredible anger and hate like I have never witnessed in the twenty years I have lived here.I have had more people in the past month actually threaten to kill me in my neighborhood (a child ran to get a ball in a yard,) people cutting me off in school parking lots, and general meanness in neighborhood stores.The anger and tension seems to be more noticeable now than ever before.I suspect it is at least partially to do with the economy.I am unemployed at the moment and most likely these encounters are with others unemployed as well since most are happening in the middle of the working day.
That's because you live in the cesspool known as Miramar.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor88 View Post
That's because you live in the cesspool known as Miramar.
All of South Florida's pretty much a cesspool.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM

3,419 posts, read 4,286,234 times
OP you are very astute. As it pertains to FLL, run hard and run fast. It is not for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area