Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 16,331 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know this topic has been covered many times but not price-wise. I live in North Lauderdale, Broward County (33068). I was with Comcast but got tired of having to chase for promotions after promotions with them, as their regular rate is extortionary high. I am used to have some kind of triple play deal with them, cable-internet-phone, for $99 a month ($120 after equipment, fees and taxes)- However, every time a promotion is over, then they would want to push me to the next level of "promotion" with useless additional features.
I need internet that is fast enough to watch video like youtube, dailymotion etc. and perhaps fast enough to do voip phone. For TV I only need basic channels plus the expanded ones (like Spike, travel channel, espn etc..., no need for premium channels like HBO or anything like that). The cheapest offer that I saw was from Dish with $20 per month for internet and $25 promotional rate ($45 regular) per month for tv- but I didn't see a lot of reviews for them and I think they want to lock you in a 2 year contract and god knows what will happen.
Can you guys share with me what you are using, how much is it (after taxes, fees and all that- non-promotional rate if you know) and what is your experience with the services? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:58 AM

32 posts, read 97,280 times
I have AT&T Uverse and it's pretty much the same thing you described. I feel like I'm constantly calling them to adjust my service. One month my bill is $70.00 and two months later it's $128.00.

They all stick together. You can't win.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
I had Comcast for 3 years and finally dropped it a few months ago. All I had was lousy basic cable and the medium speed internet (fast enough for Youtube). Towards the end, my bills were consistently averaging around $128 a month. Your bill will never go down and you will never get another promotional rate unless you literally call to cancel your service. Then they will transfer you to a "closer" person who will convince you not to cancel for another great promotional rate. The great rate he offers is the same rate you originally paid before the increase.

I now have AT&T basic cable and internet. I'm paying about the same, but am getting more channels and am so far happier with it.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I live in Iowa and we pay $193.12 per month for Internet, Television and Home Phone. We are going to drop the television and home phone next week though because they took away the ONLY channel my husband watches so after next week we will have internet only for $60.45 per month.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I live in Iowa and we pay $193.12 per month for Internet, Television and Home Phone. We are going to drop the television and home phone next week though because they took away the ONLY channel my husband watches so after next week we will have internet only for $60.45 per month.
They won't let you do that. They will offer to drop your internet rates in half if you keep your cable. That is what Comcast did to me. I called them to cancel my cable and just keep the internet, so they dropped my internet so low that I ended up keeping the cable. They will play games with the numbers in order to get you to keep everything. If you still refuse, then your internet rate will remain $60 or even go up.

If all you want is internet, there are much cheaper places to buy it than paying $60. You could probably find a service for $20 per month.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
I have Comcast. Basic cable is 21.95, and the 1.5m internet is 24.99. It's fast enough for my needs. A little known secret is the digital economy cable-You get about 50 channels for 29.95, which is the everyday price. They don't advertise it, so ask for it.

A promo is a promo-You get promotional rates for a set period of time, then you are charged the regular rate. Go with the package I have, and your bill will never vary. You may want to purchase your own modem, since Comcast charges $7.00 per month rental.

Comcast is great unless you have problems. Don't ever call tech support on the weekends, as they outsource it, and they never fix your issue, but will blow up your box and then schedule a tech out 5 days later.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
They won't let you do that. They will offer to drop your internet rates in half if you keep your cable. That is what Comcast did to me. I called them to cancel my cable and just keep the internet, so they dropped my internet so low that I ended up keeping the cable. They will play games with the numbers in order to get you to keep everything. If you still refuse, then your internet rate will remain $60 or even go up.

If all you want is internet, there are much cheaper places to buy it than paying $60. You could probably find a service for $20 per month.

Actually they will do that because it is a small local company in a small town nothing like Comcast or Dish or any of the others. If my air card (now called jet pack) worked better at the house I would not have any of it and just use that, unfortunately it is not a good signal often at the house so not reliable enough for me.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I HATE COMCAST WITH A WHITE HOT BURNING PASSION

Terrible customer service, slow internet speeds, my on-demand never works, constantly calling to get a "refresh signal" sent..... basically they turn my box off and then back on again. Whatta joke. A complete and utter joke that companty is. Can't wait for the day I hear them go under. Can't wait.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM

104 posts, read 229,105 times
So go with a different provider. Why would you pay for substandard service from a company you hate with a white hot burning passion?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM

91 posts, read 219,277 times
Look for rentals that include cable, then just get internet, in Coral Springs OMGFAST is $30 and really fast, they calim 50mbs down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area