Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 19,358 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be relocating to Florida in the next year. I am a single mom with a 5 year old boy. My sister will also be moving with me and we plan on living together. We have family in the Pompano Beach area and would like to stay close to there. Currently we are looking into Coconut Creek or some parts of Coral Springs. My main concerns are schools. If someone can shed some light on the public schools I would appreciate it. I will also be looking into private schools dependent upon cost so if anyone has any info that would be great. Also, can anyone recommend a good Realtor in the area? I would like to work with a Realtor that has experience with families relocating from out of State.

I am very nervous about moving, but I am not a fan of NJ, I hate the weather and it is very expensive here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM

164 posts, read 374,331 times
I will address your public school concerns. For the most part, you are not going to have terrible elementary schools, mainly because of the age of the children. Middle school is when most of the problems develop. You want to be in Coral Springs, Parkland, or Coconut Creek to have access to the better middle schools and high schools. I would also suggest looking at Boca Raton, which isn't too far from Pompano and also has good schools. The elementary schools in Pompano (ie McNab Elementary) are good, but the middle schools leave much to be desired.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM

157 posts, read 332,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOne79 View Post
...and it is very expensive here.
And it isn't here?

My property tax and windstorm insurance premiums are more than my mortgage payment.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Yes Jim Miller, I am aware of those costs in Florida however it is more expensive for ME here in NJ than it would be in FL, but thanks so much for you insightful post...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor88 View Post
I will address your public school concerns. For the most part, you are not going to have terrible elementary schools, mainly because of the age of the children. Middle school is when most of the problems develop. You want to be in Coral Springs, Parkland, or Coconut Creek to have access to the better middle schools and high schools. I would also suggest looking at Boca Raton, which isn't too far from Pompano and also has good schools. The elementary schools in Pompano (ie McNab Elementary) are good, but the middle schools leave much to be desired.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. Are you familiar with any private schools in the area?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM

164 posts, read 374,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOne79 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. Are you familiar with any private schools in the area?
I would look into the Pine Crest School and North Broward Preparatory. Both are very good, but very expensive.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM

166 posts, read 384,332 times
The prep schools are really expensive and unless your children have very special needs you'd be better off purchasing in Parkland where the schools were rated #1 by Forbes magazine for bang for the real estate buck. My wife teaches AP American History at the Parkland HS and her kids get accepted to every Ivy League school. I know she would recommend that you save your money for grad school!

Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Miller View Post
And it isn't here?

My property tax and windstorm insurance premiums are more than my mortgage payment.

Good luck.
Not rent wise or housing cost wise. Most of Northern NJ is 30 miles from NYC. A lot of southwest NJ is part of the Philly area. There is no cheap part of NJ to live in.

In south Florida you can find a small one bedroom in a safe area for $650. You couldn't find that in Newark, not that you would want to, and everything away from Newark is more expensive until you get to Camden which is worse than Newark. So while it might not be easy to find a decent apartment for $650 here you might be able to, in NJ you won't even find a crappy one in a bad neighborhood for that amount.

So housing costs which is most people's largest expense is a lot lower in South Florida than it is in NJ.

and property taxes in NJ are among the highest. and yeah your mortgage might be lower is you got a 30 year one 25 years ago, but most people in NJ have high mortgages too.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM

157 posts, read 332,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
In south Florida you can find a small one bedroom in a safe area for $650.
Wow...someone hasn't looked at rentals lately. I guess we differ on the definition of "safe area".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area